Jaskin signs 2 year extension

dogeater54

Jun 16, 2016
I imagine he will be training all summer. Not like he didn't realize that this year was pretty awful for him.

He does realize that. You can't imagine how frustrated he was when he missed open nets, hit posts or goalies made awesome saves against him.

He was training hard everyday - even in playoffs. When he didn't play, he went and worked his ass off.

Hopefully his World Cup nomination will boost his confidence.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
He does realize that. You can't imagine how frustrated he was when he missed open nets, hit posts or goalies made awesome saves against him.

He was training hard everyday - even in playoffs. When he didn't play, he went and worked his ass off.

Hopefully his World Cup nomination will boost his confidence.

Hi Jaskin. Nice to have you on the forum with us. :naughty:

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
he's actually just waiting for an offer-sheet to come in, so he doesn't have to do any real negotiation. Someone's going to Bernier him. 1-year, $7M....then UFA!

(don't know why more teams don't do 1-year offer-sheets, so that even if the home-team matches, they're still a UFA in one year...then they can try again).

1. he wouldn't be RFA
2. the player needs to agree to these deals, you know.

sooooo...that should answer that.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
So glad to have him signed. I'm excited for this guy because he has a golden opportunity. There's going to be a vacancy and I hope he steps right in and takes it.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
1. he wouldn't be RFA
2. the player needs to agree to these deals, you know.

sooooo...that should answer that.

the comment about Schwartz signing an offer-sheet was tongue in cheek. I realize that he will likely never reach that.

However, "random RFA" would have a LOT to gain by taking a high-priced one-year deal and then becoming UFA. McDavid for instance, if he really doesn't want to spend 7-years in EDM. Sure EDM would match a 1-year, $12M deal...but one year later, he can pick his destination.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Like this signing. I still have high hopes for this kid. I think last year he just got off to bad start and got in his own head causing him to fall deeper and deeper in a hole. I just remember a preseason game last year against Chicago where he made a huge power move to the middle and sniped one home. Now I know it was preseason, it was prospect defense and goaltending blah blah blah but it wasn't so much the goal as it was the attitude to just power his way into a good position. Here is hoping he finds that part of his game and finds the 20 goal scorer I believe he has in him.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
the comment about Schwartz signing an offer-sheet was tongue in cheek. I realize that he will likely never reach that.

However, "random RFA" would have a LOT to gain by taking a high-priced one-year deal and then becoming UFA. McDavid for instance, if he really doesn't want to spend 7-years in EDM. Sure EDM would match a 1-year, $12M deal...but one year later, he can pick his destination.

He'd still have to put in his 7 years. You can sign 3 different one-year deals after your ELC and you'd still be an RFA. You either a) have to play 7 years or b) have to be 27+. Otherwise, you are an RFA. It doesn't matter how many contracts you've gone through. Just look at Jaskin. This will be his 3rd contract and he'll be an RFA when its done. I am fairly sure, Schwartz would still be an RFA even if he signs a 1 year deal. He had his 3-year ELC and this last 2-year deal. A one-year deal would only be 6 years, and he would only be 25. So he'd still be an RFA.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
He'd still have to put in his 7 years. You can sign 3 different one-year deals after your ELC and you'd still be an RFA. You either a) have to play 7 years or b) have to be 27+. Otherwise, you are an RFA. It doesn't matter how many contracts you've gone through. Just look at Jaskin. This will be his 3rd contract and he'll be an RFA when its done. I am fairly sure, Schwartz would still be an RFA even if he signs a 1 year deal. He had his 3-year ELC and this last 2-year deal. A one-year deal would only be 6 years, and he would only be 25. So he'd still be an RFA.

Not to mention that its not smart business for him. He can get a longer term contract at a tidy raise, which is insurance for him against a career ending injury, etc. He'd be taking an unnecessary gamble with a one-year contract, for what?

I see no reason he'd sign something like that from an offer sheet unless he was desperate to get out of St Louis. Even then, I think the better avenue is to quietly ask Armstrong for a trade and be patient.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

How would McDavid be able to pick his destination? He's an RFA for 7 years or until he's 27, an offer sheet doesn't change that.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How would McDavid be able to pick his destination? He's an RFA for 7 years or until he's 27, an offer sheet doesn't change that.

I was under the impression that signing an offer-sheet essentially ended RFA-status, since that was the reason the Blues only gave Bernier a one-year contract. He was drafted in '03, returned to juniors for two full seasons, then began his pro career by spending the next three seasons between the AHL and NHL. After an off-season trade from BUF to STL in '08, Davidson offer-sheeted him. It was matched (obviously) and the next season he signed a two-year deal, getting traded to Florida after playing he first.

Bernier hadn't reached 27, or 7-pro years by the time he resigned in Vancouver (a year after the offer-sheet). Perhaps the rules of the CBA have changed since then...or maybe he truly was still an RFA the season after the Blues made the offer-sheet, but I remember the UFA-status being the big middle-finger part of the offer-sheet in the direction of Vancouver. Maybe I've got my facts mixed up somewhere. If you can sign an offer-sheet and still be an RFA at its conclusion, then my whole point is moot.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Players are still an RFA until they turn 27 or after they have played in the NHL for 7 years. So a player that enters the league at 18 can hit RFA @ 25. But the average player is still an RFA at 26.

You mean UFA @ 26, right? Otherwise I really don't understand how this works :sarcasm:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I was under the impression that signing an offer-sheet essentially ended RFA-status, since that was the reason the Blues only gave Bernier a one-year contract. He was drafted in '03, returned to juniors for two full seasons, then began his pro career by spending the next three seasons between the AHL and NHL. After an off-season trade from BUF to STL in '08, Davidson offer-sheeted him. It was matched (obviously) and the next season he signed a two-year deal, getting traded to Florida after playing he first.

Bernier hadn't reached 27, or 7-pro years by the time he resigned in Vancouver (a year after the offer-sheet). Perhaps the rules of the CBA have changed since then...or maybe he truly was still an RFA the season after the Blues made the offer-sheet, but I remember the UFA-status being the big middle-finger part of the offer-sheet in the direction of Vancouver. Maybe I've got my facts mixed up somewhere. If you can sign an offer-sheet and still be an RFA at its conclusion, then my whole point is moot.

Bernier was an RFA after the offer sheet and would have still been a RFA after the two year contract that the Canucks gave him. However, the Panthers did not tender a qualifying offer to him which resulted in him becoming a UFA. The only time an RFA can become a UFA earlier than the previously mentioned requirements is if their team doesn't tender a qualifying offer.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I think you got some facts confused here. He was never traded to St. Louis. He was drafted by San Jose, traded to Buffalo as part of a package for Campbell. Buffalo traded his RFA rights to Vancouver at the end of his ELC. He signed an 1 year offer sheet with the Blues. Vancouver matched. So he played a year in Vancouver. After that year, he re-signed a 2 year deal with Vancouver who still held his RFA rights. According to General Fanager, who gets its info from CapGeek, his status at the end of the 1 year offer sheet was still RFA. He gained UFA status at 26 because he was still an RFA, but Florida who then owned his rights chose not to qualify him. Here's a link to an article saying Florida chose not to qualify, long after the offer sheet.

Year - Age ----Contract - Team - Contract status after season
05-06 - 20 yo - ELC1 - Sharks - under contract
06-07 - 21 yo - ELC2 - Sharks - under contract
07-08 - 22 yo - ELC3 - Sharks/Buff - RFA (Buf owns rights)
***Buff trades to Van/Blues Offer sheet/Vancouver matches****
08-09 - 23 yo - OS1 - Vancouver - RFA (Van owns rights)
**Vancouver resigns him **
09-10 - 24 yo - 2ndRFA1 - Vancouver - Under contract
**Traded to Panthers**
10-11 - 25 yo - 2nd RFA2 - Florida - RFA
**Florida does not qualify, gains UFA, Signs with NJ**

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think you got some facts confused here. He was never traded to St. Louis. He was drafted by San Jose, traded to Buffalo as part of a package for Campbell. Buffalo traded his RFA rights to Vancouver at the end of his ELC. He signed an 1 year offer sheet with the Blues. Vancouver matched. So he played a year in Vancouver. After that year, he re-signed a 2 year deal with Vancouver who still held his RFA rights. According to General Fanager, who gets its info from CapGeek, his status at the end of the 1 year offer sheet was still RFA. He gained UFA status at 26 because he was still an RFA, but Florida who then owned his rights chose not to qualify him. Here's a link to an article saying Florida chose not to qualify, long after the offer sheet.

Year - Age ----Contract - Team - Contract status after season
05-06 - 20 yo - ELC1 - Sharks - under contract
06-07 - 21 yo - ELC2 - Sharks - under contract
07-08 - 22 yo - ELC3 - Sharks/Buff - RFA (Buf owns rights)
***Buff trades to Van/Blues Offer sheet/Vancouver matches****
08-09 - 23 yo - OS1 - Vancouver - RFA (Van owns rights)
**Vancouver resigns him **
09-10 - 24 yo - 2ndRFA1 - Vancouver - Under contract
**Traded to Panthers**
10-11 - 25 yo - 2nd RFA2 - Florida - RFA
**Florida does not qualify, gains UFA, Signs with NJ**

Yep...typo...meant traded from BUF to VAN. Then signed by STL.

I stand corrected about being a UFA. Thanks guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad