Jaskin signs 2 year extension

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011

Had he signed a 1-year contract, I think he'd have gotten around $800k. But since it's a 2-year contract, I'm guessing it's around $1.5m AAV.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

Had he signed a 1-year contract, I think he'd have gotten around $800k. But since it's a 2-year contract, I'm guessing it's around $1.5m AAV.

I'm gonna guess 1.25 AAV, $1 first year and $1.5 second year

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I am for it. Hopefully its cheap. I am actually a little surprised its 2 years. I figured after how horrible his last year went, they'd go with another one year prove me contract. I don't see Jaskin signing for multiple years at sub $1M, and didn't see Armstrong offering multiple years at more than $1.25ish to a guy who was not Steve Ott and was a healthy scratch most of the playoffs. So I'm going to guess somewhere in the $1.25 AAV range. Whatever it is, I think it will be a great contract for us as I see Jaskin having a turn around year. How much of a turn around depends on the role he is given, but he will be a useful player.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He showed some promise in the playoffs, but to call this season a disappointment would be a tremendous understatement. He was just completely ineffective in any sort of offensive capacity this season. He needs to be better.

That said, this is pretty much a no risk deal as long as the AAV is below 1.5M. We can bury the majority of the cap hit in the minors if he doesn't improve.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
He showed some promise in the playoffs, but to call this season a disappointment would be a tremendous understatement. He was just completely ineffective in any sort of offensive capacity this season. He needs to be better.

That said, this is pretty much a no risk deal as long as the AAV is below 1.5M. We can bury the majority of the cap hit in the minors if he doesn't improve.

I imagine he will be training all summer. Not like he didn't realize that this year was pretty awful for him.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Schwartz can wait till training camp

he's actually just waiting for an offer-sheet to come in, so he doesn't have to do any real negotiation. Someone's going to Bernier him. 1-year, $7M....then UFA!

(don't know why more teams don't do 1-year offer-sheets, so that even if the home-team matches, they're still a UFA in one year...then they can try again).

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Fair deal, can't really complain. Hopefully he can bounce back next season.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
he's actually just waiting for an offer-sheet to come in, so he doesn't have to do any real negotiation. Someone's going to Bernier him. 1-year, $7M....then UFA!

(don't know why more teams don't do 1-year offer-sheets, so that even if the home-team matches, they're still a UFA in one year...then they can try again).

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but Army has already stated that if he can't work out a longterm deal with Jaden very soon then he'll file for arbitration, unless Jaden files first. Once either side files for arbitration, Jaden can't sign an offer sheet.

As for Jaskin, this is a good deal. Hard to complain at all. At worst he'll be a good 13th/14th forward option and at best he takes the step he's capable of taking and becomes an everyday 3rd liner.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Army getting the heavy lifting out of the way...now for the minor loose-ends: Backes, Brouwer and potentially Shattenkirk.

This was probably an easy deal to get done. And the rest of the cap/roster picture didn't need to be in place to do it. So I don't think he is ignoring those other guys. It rumored he's already talked to 6-8 teams about Shatty. On Shatty, he is going to wait until closer to the draft for teams to get desperate and push the price up. Even if a deal is done, the NHL likes to hold them for the draft to announce them. On Schwartz, Armstrong plays hardball with big-ticket RFAs and they often take a while. Backes might want to gauge interest at the interview period before giving too steep a HTD, and Brouwer has to wait on Backes. So why not get the little ones done while in a holding pattern for the big ones?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I imagine he will be training all summer. Not like he didn't realize that this year was pretty awful for him.

I realize that he'll likely train all summer, but so will everyone else. He's going to have to take a big step forward to be a useful player next year. The playoff showed he was capable, and bits of his rookie season, but he is going to need to be significantly better.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Is the deal amazing? No, but if he bounces back it could be.
Is the deal terrible? No, either way its very cheap for a young player who can play in our bottom 6 and at worst he an injury fill in.

Probably a good thing to get out of the way and look for the big moves like Shattenkirk trade, Backes and Brouwer deals, etc.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I still have high hopes for Jaskin. I think we'll see a breakout year. 20 goals and thank me later

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He's a solid player to have.

I mean worst case scenario, he's a 4th liner. He's big and can bang some bodies so he fits that role. And he can chip in a few goals.

Hopefully more than a few, but you get the point. You could do a ton worse than a guy like Jaskin on the 4th line. He looked good in the playoffs with Brodziak and Upshall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad