Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Found an old piece of notebook paper the other day dating back to when I wrote about the Islanders for HF, with some notes for a Top 20. Boy was I off on Spurgeon... but then again the Islanders felt the same.

Major credit goes to Fletch and the staff for finding this guy and taking a chance, but there's no doubt that he put in a ton of work to be the player he is now.
The Islanders are wrong about few players that have been in there organization.

The Wild should really send them Thank You cards for Nino and Spurgeon.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
In all the hysteria of Granlund's masterpiece last night in OT, on that goal Spurgeon officially set his career high in points in a season.

He's been on pace for between 30-35 for 3 seasons running now, but he's never actually hit 30 until now where he is on pace for 41 if he doesn't miss any more games.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I remember watching Spurgeon when he was younger and he would always fumble the puck at the blue line and have it hop over his stick and out of the zone, now he is the most trusted player on the team besides Suter in almost all situations.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
ESPN just released an article detailing the most indispensable players around the league and Spurgeon made the list. They highlighted his ability to drive the play as well as his seemingly perfect mesh with Suter that they have had for awhile now.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Second best defensemen on the team behind Suter. Undersized but at this point I almost look at that as a positive because it has forced him to become a much smarter defenseman. Wins almost all board battles which is crazy for his size. Not very good about clearing the front of the net. Super smooth skater. Great puck moving defenseman. Good shot and isn't afraid to jump up in the rush or even in the o zone. Good point totals and +/- as well as able to play in all situations. The perfect teammate by all reports. Awesome at opening water bottles. Overall a fantastic and highly underrated player.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Second best defensemen on the team behind Suter. Undersized but at this point I almost look at that as a positive because it has forced him to become a much smarter defenseman. Wins almost all board battles which is crazy for his size. Not very good about clearing the front of the net. Super smooth skater. Great puck moving defenseman. Good shot and isn't afraid to jump up in the rush or even in the o zone. Good point totals and +/- as well as able to play in all situations. The perfect teammate by all reports. Awesome at opening water bottles. Overall a fantastic and highly underrated player.

thank you !

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

His Water bottle opening/60 is off the charts.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There has been talk about trading this guy for a young, top line forward. While I understand the sentiment, I'm beginning to question the wisdom of such a deal. So the Wild get more of their offense from the back line rather than the forwards. Unusual, but still effective. As the new pairings settle in, it looks like Brodin is starting to take advantage of having a high end partner for the first time in years. If he can start to provide some offense commensurate with his skills, then we've got something. I think our top 4 is the best in the league, and Spurgeon is a huge part of it.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I agree...and I think there's a good argument to be made to change that last sentence to top 6 with the way Seeler and Pateryn are playing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There has been talk about trading this guy for a young, top line forward. While I understand the sentiment, I'm beginning to question the wisdom of such a deal. So the Wild get more of their offense from the back line rather than the forwards. Unusual, but still effective. As the new pairings settle in, it looks like Brodin is starting to take advantage of having a high end partner for the first time in years. If he can start to provide some offense commensurate with his skills, then we've got something. I think our top 4 is the best in the league, and Spurgeon is a huge part of it.

He's a sell high player currently; with a short(er) term contract that I don't see being in the team's long-term plans. The next contract he'll be due is one that I don't think I'll like in terms of both money and length.

I have no problem keeping him until he's a UFA and he walks for nothing if the Wild are contenders. What I don't want to see is the Wild hold on to him if they are hovering around the fringe and he walks for nothing. It's a fine line to walk as the GM

I can see both sides of the keeping/trading argument, and I'm on the fence currently to which side I favor. It all depends on the return he'd garner really. I also haven't seen any trades/proposals for him lately that I like. I do think the d-corps could absorb the loss of him without falling apart.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I have been and am still open to the idea, but it's hard to feel any sense of urgency about it when the team is playing well and winning games. The blueline is still the backbone of this team, and removing a guy like Spurgeon shouldn't be done lightly if we have any aspirations this season. Which we should.

Still, there is no way that we can keep all of Suter, Dumba, Brodin and Spurgeon around long term. If the expansion draft didn't guarantee it the salary cap would. So Fenton needs to have some sort of plan for that and if the right trade presents itself in the middle of the season he should seriously consider it.

Trade-talk aside though, it's huge to see Brodin and Spurgeon playing as the sort of pairing you'd figure they could be.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I have been and am still open to the idea, but it's hard to feel any sense of urgency about it when the team is playing well and winning games. The blueline is still the backbone of this team, and removing a guy like Spurgeon shouldn't be done lightly if we have any aspirations this season. Which we should.

Still, there is no way that we can keep all of Suter, Dumba, Brodin and Spurgeon around long term. If the expansion draft didn't guarantee it the salary cap would. So Fenton needs to have some sort of plan for that and if the right trade presents itself in the middle of the season he should seriously consider it.

Trade-talk aside though, it's huge to see Brodin and Spurgeon playing as the sort of pairing you'd figure they could be.

I'm not entirely sure that this is true. Suter and Dumba are already locked up, and I don't think Brodin has, or is about to do anything that would require a sizable raise. Spurgeon is the biggest question mark, but I think a~$2m bump on his current salary should be pretty doable.

The expansion draft does wrench things a bit, but I really don't think that either Granlun or Spurgeon would screw them over if they decided to hold off trying to re-sign them until late June 2020.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not entirely sure that this is true. Suter and Dumba are already locked up, and I don't think Brodin has, or is about to do anything that would require a sizable raise. Spurgeon is the biggest question mark, but I think a~$2m bump on his current salary should be pretty doable.
"There is no way" was probably too strong, but we'd be looking at:

Suter ($7.5m) - Dumba ($6.0m)
Brodin ($4.2m) - Spurgeon ($7.0m?)

So a total of $24.7m spent on the top-4, or ~30% of the current cap. That seems high to me, but I'm not actually sure what's "typical" around the league right now. And I'm sort of assuming that spending a lot on the blueline restricts us up front, but that might not actually be the case.

Brodin's situation is one that could be worth keeping an eye on, too. He's on pace for his usual 20-ish points, but he's been scoring more goals this year and has looked more offensively competent lately. I don't want to jump to conclusions after a couple of strong games, but if he puts up 10 goals and 25-30 points he starts making his case for a raise.

And then there's the whole expansion draft thing, but who knows what'll happen with that?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
"There is no way" was probably too strong, but we'd be looking at:

Suter ($7.5m) - Dumba ($6.0m)
Brodin ($4.2m) - Spurgeon ($7.0m?)

So a total of $24.7m spent on the top-4, or ~30% of the current cap. That seems high to me, but I'm not actually sure what's "typical" around the league right now. And I'm sort of assuming that spending a lot on the blueline restricts us up front, but that might not actually be the case.

Brodin's situation is one that could be worth keeping an eye on, too. He's on pace for his usual 20-ish points, but he's been scoring more goals this year and has looked more offensively competent lately. I don't want to jump to conclusions after a couple of strong games, but if he puts up 10 goals and 25-30 points he starts making his case for a raise.

And then there's the whole expansion draft thing, but who knows what'll happen with that?

I just kind of try to see at a re-allocation of money. Guys come off the cap, and guys get raises. In this case, Koivu's $5.5M comes off at the same time that Granlund and Spurgeon need to get re-upped. Split it in half, and give half to each: Granlund $5.75 + $2.25 = $8 (probably a bit high) and Spurgeon $5.1 + $2.25 = $7.3 (also probably too high). Just kind of saying that if it's something we want to do, then it's doable. Of course, it doesn't factor in the idea that there might not be an internal top 6 replacement center, so funds might have to be freed up for that. $7 million can probably get you a pretty good FA center (not knowing what's actually out there in 2020).

At this rate, I'm not too worried about us freeing up room for Ek's or Greenway's second contracts, which would be the other potential curveball.

Edit: oops, did my math wrong. Actually should be $2.75 each to Spurgeon and Granlund. Definitely too high for both. That extra $1.5ish million would be Coyle's (I guess) plus the Ennis $1.2m buyout number, assuming that he's brought back.

Last edited:
Reactions: BagHead and Bazeek

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Was looking at hockey-reference at career leaders for the Wild, and very quietly Spurgeon has crept into 4th all time games played for Minnesota, and is within spitting distance of Bouchard for 3rd (15 more games) and top 10 in career points. Heck of a showing, be really intersting to see if he'll get an extension ans a shot to pass Schultz.

Thanks Garth

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Was looking at hockey-reference at career leaders for the Wild, and very quietly Spurgeon has crept into 4th all time games played for Minnesota, and is within spitting distance of Bouchard for 3rd (15 more games) and top 10 in career points. Heck of a showing, be really intersting to see if he'll get an extension ans a shot to pass Schultz.

Thanks Garth

Reactions: Bazeek

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Thanks Garth
I'd be surprised if he got an extension, but I was surprised by the last one so what do I know? It'd be great to keep him forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad