Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sign Spurgeon, deal with $'s via Vanek/Pominville next summer.

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Reilly/Olofsson/Labbe - Spurgeon (obviously not getting strictly 3rd pair minutes)

For the next 5-7 years? Yes please.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Sign Spurgeon, deal with $'s via Vanek/Pominville next summer.

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Reilly/Olofsson/Labbe - Spurgeon (obviously not getting strictly 3rd pair minutes)

For the next 5-7 years? Yes please.

Problem is you don't want him on the 3rd pairing, and he doesn't belong there, so if you have the top 4 we have above he has no room on this team.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Cal hit like a machine, hits don't matter if the guy skates past you after that hit.

Seriously GMCF needs to fleece a team for Spurg and run with it, i hope other gm's are falling for his hype.

Except not many people get past Spurgeon.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Problem is you don't want him on the 3rd pairing, and he doesn't belong there, so if you have the top 4 we have above he has no room on this team.

If it can work financially, having somebody that is as good as Spurgeon playing regular minutes as a "3rd pairing" (more realistically a 2A/2B situation) isn't a problem at all. It's a asset, and it makes our team better, which is the whole point.

The only reason that he and Dumba are swapped is that you want somebody reliable playing with whichever young LD is out there.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
If it can work financially, having somebody that is as good as Spurgeon playing regular minutes as a "3rd pairing" (more realistically a 2A/2B situation) isn't a problem at all. It's a asset, and it makes our team better, which is the whole point.

The only reason that he and Dumba are swapped is that you want somebody reliable playing with whichever young LD is out there.

Again the price won't make that happen, Jeff Pietry got 5.5 mil, do you think Spurg is worth more or less?

So lets say he gets that, 5.5, we have a lot of money on the blue line before we take Dumba extension into account, which could be a big wild card here.

there just isn't that much room for Spurgeon on this team, and I think people overvalue his contribution based on some "Stats" We don't need Spurg if we can flip him for a better asset for the team we should do it.

Other option is trade Scandella which i think would be a mistake.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
If Brodin doesn't take a step this season and become more assertive with the puck and Spurgeon continues grow as a player, the decision is an easy one.

At this point, Dumba isn't much of a factor regarding Spurgeon.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Again the price won't make that happen, Jeff Pietry got 5.5 mil, do you think Spurg is worth more or less?

So lets say he gets that, 5.5, we have a lot of money on the blue line before we take Dumba extension into account, which could be a big wild card here.

there just isn't that much room for Spurgeon on this team, and I think people overvalue his contribution based on some "Stats" We don't need Spurg if we can flip him for a better asset for the team we should do it.

Other option is trade Scandella which i think would be a mistake.

I think he's probably worth more than that, but he likely won't get it because of perceived size issues; but my premise was sort of based upon Spurgeon taking a little bit under his true value (less than $5M) to continue to play for the organization that gave him a chance. He's under no obligation to do that, however, and if he's set on trying to make $5.5M or $6M, then I think we can re-evaluate the situation.

I said in the free agency thread, that I would offer 6 x $4.75M (essentially 2x the money of his current contract, and the security of a 6 year deal should be pretty appealing). If he declines, get the best value that you can next offseason.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
If Brodin doesn't take a step this season and become more assertive with the puck and Spurgeon continues grow as a player, the decision is an easy one.

At this point, Dumba isn't much of a factor regarding Spurgeon.

Even if Brodin doesn't take that step at 22, I would still take Brodin over Spurg 10/10, Brodin has a hell of a harder job on defense and does better at it than Spurg.

Not to mention Brodin is doing more at 21 than Spurg did as older, so I don't get that statement at all. Ask any Exect in the NHL who they would rather have and I would be shocked if Spurg is even considered over Brodin.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Even if Brodin doesn't take that step at 22, I would still take Brodin over Spurg 10/10, Brodin has a hell of a harder job on defense and does better at it than Spurg.

Not to mention Brodin is doing more at 21 than Spurg did as older, so I don't get that statement at all. Ask any Exect in the NHL who they would rather have and I would be shocked if Spurg is even considered over Brodin.

Well, I'm glad you're not our GM. Our actual GM was just on 1500espn and called Spurgeon our best defensive defensemen. And we know what he does offensively.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Just wanna say ive been advocating to move him cause of our situation with his new contract and some what log jam on the backend however, if we could say... move Pominville & Vaneks contract by next off season i have no problem locking up Spurgy to a 3-6 year deal in the 5m-3.5m range... again tho term is prob going to play a part in his deal, ill go 5m high for low years but i feel he will want to be locked up around the same as Scandy/Brodin so my guess would be 5 years 4m range.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Well, I'm glad you're not our GM. Our actual GM was just on 1500espn and called Spurgeon our best defensive defensemen. And we know what he does offensively.

Yeah sure and 25 pts is amazing offensive skill right?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

In 66 games, with the limited PP minutes(and given how the 2nd unit was deployed), its more than solid. His 5v5 scoring rates are solidly top pairing levels.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota

Our system isn't really that great for Dmen to score unless we get better at finishing our counter attack rushes, and get better at shooting from the point for tips and rebounds.

Spurgeron did very well at jumping in the offense to keep the play alive but often the puck got touched by a couple others and Spurgy often didnt get credited with an assist but he made the play happen.

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Points aren't the end all-be all of offensive impact.

As others have pointed out, we: score more goals with him on the ice, take more shots with him on the ice, and give up fewer shots with him on the ice.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Unfortunately, I think we will have to let Spurgeon go after next year, as I don't believe we can pay him what he is worth and still keep a team budget. Let's enjoy him while we have him, and count ourselves lucky that we have Dumba, Folin, and Reilly waiting in the wings to compete for the #4 position in a year or two.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Unfortunately, I think we will have to let Spurgeon go after next year, as I don't believe we can pay him what he is worth and still keep a team budget. Let's enjoy him while we have him, and count ourselves lucky that we have Dumba, Folin, and Reilly waiting in the wings to compete for the #4 position in a year or two.

Not to mention Olofsson and Labbe as well.

The Wild have good talent in the system on D, thus it's the easiest position to survive a talented player being priced off the roster.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Just hope the rest of the league is either aware or wises up about him and the value coming back is impactful.

Assuming he's traded, of course.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Just hope the rest of the league is either aware or wises up about him and the value coming back is impactful.

Assuming he's traded, of course.
I think the people in the know(Gm's) know Spurgeon is a heckuva good player. Just a matter whether they will fit in with their vision for their blueline. He is a top tier puck moving Dman. I think he will actually become more of a hot commodity at next year's TDL when the salary cap is not as much an issue. I fully anticipate him being a Wild for another 60+ games.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You're not biased or anything. :sarcasm:

Yeah, totally not. :sarcasm:

For real though, he's always seemed to be the most effective at carrying the puck into the offensive zone (among our defensemen). That stat that was provided about Entry Assists/60 seems to support that too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, totally not. :sarcasm:

For real though, he's always seemed to be the most effective at carrying the puck into the offensive zone (among our defensemen). That stat that was provided about Entry Assists/60 seems to support that too.
When pretty much our team is awesome these days at zone entry across the board, not sure how you can say you don't trust anyone else.

Suter has by far the most zone entries on the team, so he has to be pretty effective at that too.

The D-men are really good, Granlund is really good, Parise is really good, Nino is really good.

Zone entry is not the problem this team used to have 2-3yrs ago.

That was one of the problems when it came to St.Louis in the past... we could never enter the zone, yet they performed zone entry magic on a regular basis.

We started playing well against them when we became good at zone entry ourselves, thus limiting their chances by default.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I remember the time when the whole zone entry thing wasn't even considered as a problem. Mostly because those teams could leave their own zone so rarely.. :sarcasm:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hard to believe it was just two years ago everyone complained about all the dump and chase this team did every game... before I just mentioned it, I can't remember the last time it was really brought up even. The talk about that completely and utterly vanished this past year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad