Jared Cowen: Where Is The J-Train Headed?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
From what I remember, he apparently opted to go for another surgery at the behest of a non-team doctor. I think he's going to lose this arbitration, players would do this all the time if it meant making them unable to be bought out.

The second surgery by Doctor Nix was worth a cool million. Well worth the pain and recovery time I'd say. Little snippity snip and shave some calcium deposit and a staple job.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I know we have some bad contracts, but isn't this a bit concerning that we have such a garbage team (bottom 5?), and are still having cap problems?

No, because the Leafs don't have any long term bad contracts (save for the Kessel retention).

A lot of cap will clear up once the cap dumps from the Dion trade clear up.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I know we have some bad contracts, but isn't this a bit concerning that we have such a garbage team (bottom 5?), and are still having cap problems?

Relax we're amidst a rebuild. No core members to lock-up really for 2 more season. In those seasons Bozak, Lupul, Robidas, Michalek, Laich all come off the books..

Mad Brills*

Still cleaning out the mess from nonis era, and they inflicted the 3 deals for dion themselves

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Hortons 5.3m ensures they don't have cap problems should they need it.

More surprised we're this far ahead in clearing non core/overpaid contracts. After this season only Lupul and Bozak remain as overpaid contracts with one year left on each.

18.1m off the books this summer:

Laich, Brooks $4,500,000
Michalek, Milan $4,000,000
Greening, Colin $2,650,000
Robidas, Stephane $3,000,000
Polak, Roman $2,250,000
Hunwick, Matt $1,200,000

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Concerning? Not really, simply because we aren't desperate for cap space.

But it does show how terrible our past management was. It's going to take another two years before we're free and clear of the bad deals inked by the previous regime.

I still can't believe we're still paying Gleason, for example. A totally unnecessary buyout at the time that now feels like the Tucker one, in that it goes on and on and on and on.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Hortons 5.3m ensures they don't have cap problems should they need it.

More surprised we're this far ahead in clearing non core/overpaid contracts. After this season only Lupul and Bozak remain as overpaid contracts with one year left on each.

18.1m off the books this summer:

Laich, Brooks $4,500,000
Michalek, Milan $4,000,000
Greening, Colin $2,650,000
Robidas, Stephane $3,000,000
Polak, Roman $2,250,000
Hunwick, Matt $1,200,000

How on earth is Bozak overpaid? Especially considering his comparable signed this summer?

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
How on earth is Bozak overpaid? Especially considering his comparable signed this summer?

Yes, agreed. This Bozak contract makes no sense. Maybe when he signed it, sure. But he's proven to be fully worth that contract IMO. He's a 3rd line C at worst who can slot in on any of the top 3 lines in a pinch and produces.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Bozak is a perfect buffer until Matthews and Kadri do the heavy lifting and a Gauthier type can step into the #3 role. It's weird, this is the placement most thought his upside would be when he was first signed...a #2/3 two way centre. People have to forgive him for being thrust into the #1 role. That said. As soon as his contracts up, you move him at the deadline as he is still part of the old core and if he plays decently will want a raise.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Horton was on IR not LTIR.

LTIR is a form of cap relief but you have to be at the limit or over it to use LTIR. Otherwise the player is on IR and counts against the cap.

The Leafs will probably need LTIR a some point this season though.

Nathan Horton was on LTIR for the majority of last season. Per Capfriendly he was on IR for first 20 days of season, and on LTIR for remaining 166 days.

Robidas was the one that never hit LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad