Jared Cowen: Where Is The J-Train Headed?

Mad Brills*

I'm sure he cares about both. He's 24, if he wants future earnings he needs to prove he can play as well. Just not here.

He likely won't get 4.1 million again in nhl salaries for about 3 years, so yeah.

But he knows he isn't wanted by management here.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I believe Cowans contract was back loaded with $4.5m for 2016/17. Being under 26 when he signed, his buyout is 1/3 of his salary. If bought out Cowan gets $1.5m, if he stays on the roster he gets the $4.5m. Cowan stands to lose $3.0m. Cowan will never get anywhere near that total money for the rest of career. The $3.0m difference will be extremely important to Cowan.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Interesting situation. If the Leafs lose in arbitration, would that not mean he's going on LTIR? If he's ruled unfit for a buyout, then I would assume he's unfit to play right?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
What do you mean "unable to prove he was hurt". It comes down to did the Leafs not do their due diligence, or did Cowen's camp hide this?

Anyways there is a stall open for him in Germany

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Interesting situation. If the Leafs lose in arbitration, would that not mean he's going on LTIR? If he's ruled unfit for a buyout, then I would assume he's unfit to play right?

Who knows. As I said, maybe it can become a Mike Richards contract termination scenario.
If Cowen was healthy when he was banished but hurt himself without the team being aware, perhaps a deal with the PA/NHL can be reached. Leafs pay out the full amount of money owing on the contract for termination and no cap hit. That would be decent.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
If he wins the case, he'll go on LTIR. And he wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he objects. He can't argue both that he is too injured to be bought out and that he is too healthy to go on LTIR. Either way, there is cap room for the immediate future.

Pridham is going to have his hands full this season, next year with all the new cap space he should be given a long vacation.

For LTIR to be used effectively, Leafs have to be at or near the cap. With Horton a definite, not sure how it works when you put multiple players on LTIR.

If Leafs want to make full use of LTIR savings, guess that means Lupul, Greening, etc. will have to be kept around.

Will be quite the tightrope act this season, not only with the cap, but also the 23 man roster.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'd really like to hear the background to this.

I recall that he was cleared to play, was angry that the leaf weren't playing him...

Then he said that he wouldn't go to the nhlpa for the leafs sending him home for the season, to await a buyout.

Then now he says he wasn't fit to play and required surgery, that he got and is recovery from and therefore cannot be bought out?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I find it very bizarre that he and his agent said they were healthy around when he was acquired, but the Leafs sent him home anyway and told him they'd buy him out.

I guess he wasn't healthy at all or perhaps he re-injured himself while training.

From what I remember, he apparently opted to go for another surgery at the behest of a non-team doctor. I think he's going to lose this arbitration, players would do this all the time if it meant making them unable to be bought out.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Pridham is going to have his hands full this season, next year with all the new cap space he should be given a long vacation.

For LTIR to be used effectively, Leafs have to be at or near the cap. With Horton a definite, not sure how it works when you put multiple players on LTIR.

If Leafs want to make full use of LTIR savings, guess that means Lupul, Greening, etc. will have to be kept around.

Will be quite the tightrope act this season, not only with the cap, but also the 23 man roster.

Horton was on IR not LTIR.

LTIR is a form of cap relief but you have to be at the limit or over it to use LTIR. Otherwise the player is on IR and counts against the cap.

The Leafs will probably need LTIR a some point this season though.

Mad Brills*

Horton was on IR not LTIR.

LTIR is a form of cap relief but you have to be at the limit or over it to use LTIR. Otherwise the player is on IR and counts against the cap.

The Leafs will probably need LTIR a some point this season though.

horton was on LTIR for parts of last year.

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
We have more need for cap room this season then next season due to potential bonus overages.

We do actually. With Horton and Robidas contracts lingering around the Leafs may need to LTIR a player. That means that they would be at or very close to the cap and from what I've read any ELC bonuses earned are not relieved by LTIR. So if Mathew, Marner or Nylander hits some of there performance bonuses then they would be charged to next years cap.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Who cares if this year is a cap year? It's not like we're trying to do anything other than audition the kids and get better internally.

It's not like we got Stamkos and then had to ramp things up all of a sudden.

Mad Brills*

Who cares if this year is a cap year? It's not like we're trying to do anything other than audition the kids and get better internally.

It's not like we got Stamkos and then had to ramp things up all of a sudden.

bonuses next year will be a thing that affect the team, so they won't have 20 million in cap space like we thought.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Jared Cowen has been a terrible defenceman for his whole career. He was drafted on size, and size is what made him look better than he was in the WHL. See: Luke Schenn.

Lou thought he was being clever, just as he was with the Kovalchuk cap circumvention contract, and guess what? It didn't work.

Burke had his faults, but the Leafs never did this kind of **** under him.

Mad Brills*

Jared Cowen has been a terrible defenceman for his whole career. He was drafted on size, and size is what made him look better than he was in the WHL. See: Luke Schenn.

Lou thought he was being clever, just as he was with the Kovalchuk cap circumvention contract, and guess what? It didn't work.

uh no.

He got surgery without telling the leafs who he's under contract to that he would.

Sorry.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Leafs never did what under Burke? That's a weird ass statement. :laugh:

Not sure how you can fault Lamoriello or the Leafs about not being able to buyout Cowen. They shed a big long-term contract without any retention while still getting a couple solid future assets in the process, all they had to do is pick up the tab on a couple short-term dead weight contracts, like Cowen. Burke only wished he could have been able to dump a mistake like that.

They even sent Cowen straight home after being acquired to make sure he didn't get injured before being bought out, which is why to me it makes no sense he's not healthy enough for a buyout because Cowen said he was healthy to play soon after being acquired.

Either way, I think the Leafs will easily win this little dispute one way or another.

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
I know we have some bad contracts, but isn't this a bit concerning that we have such a garbage team (bottom 5?), and are still having cap problems?

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think there was something do with going ahead with a surgery, thus "re-injuring" himself, that was against the advice of MLSE doctors.

Thought I read that somewhere, anyway.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I know we have some bad contracts, but isn't this a bit concerning that we have such a garbage team (bottom 5?), and are still having cap problems?

No? Do we need the money to sign a top end player right now? So why is it a problem that we're up to the cap? We have aroudn 8M in dead cap space right now due to Horton and Cowen.

The Leafs have in excess of 28M of cap space going into next season with most of the 'veteran' core locked up. The most notable RFA to re-sign will likely be Zaitsev, Brown and Hyman, with a couple other players like Leipsic and Loov. The only true dead weight player left will be Lupul and he'll have 1 year left at that point, but could be bought out next June.

We're in a fantastic position with our cap moving forward.

Last edited:

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009

It's really not a big deal, no matter which way the arbitration case goes. If the Leafs win and can buy him out, then yay, they've got about $3.6M in bonus cap space that they can play with this year.

If they lose, there's no real negative impact. They've got enough available space (especially after dumping Bernier) that they don't need Cowen's cap space. And if they waive him and bury him, then he's just $2.2M on our books this year, and then he's gone next summer along with a whole bunch of other dead weight.

And that's still a small price to pay to be free and clear from Dion Phaneuf's $7M cap hit for the next five years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad