Post-Game Talk: |January 8| Pens vs Stars | End of the winning streak

Sweatpant preference: we lost cause we weren’t united in the cause

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Every team above the Pens in the Metro standings got at least a point tonight…big missed opportunity for the Pens to keep pace…

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Before some child ruined the game for me...

I don't care about the streak. I care about how easily they abandon their "system" that so many boasted they were playing to a T. If we have these players in the system and on the team that are playing this system all across the board then there shouldn't be an issue. I can deal with a loss if the team played their game and adjusted.

But the moment Dallas ran Jarry and the crease and got physical, the Penguins turtled, were on their heels, made awful plays and passes, were forcing pucks along the boards and stretch passes that made no sense. That's been the issue I've seen with the Sully squad. It's what the Isles did and won.

It's what Dallas has done twice, and won. I am sure if we had McGinn And Rust we might have maybe just barely won but Dallas decided to bite back and the Pens packed up their ball and wanted to go home.

Who cares about streaks? I care about how hard they play.
It's 3 games in 3.5 days with travel. Everything looks worse when the legs aren't there and you're mentally exhausted. There was a huge drop off after the 1st.
I have zero concerns with the team executing the system. They've done that fairly well all year. Usually when we lose it's because of other reasons, like blowing high danger chances or making low percentage offensive plays and throwing possession away too easily.

Today was a little different in that we ran outta juice.

Dallas pushed really hard. Have to give them credit too. They are 13-3-1 at home for a reason. Won the previous 3 and are healthy. Their points % is right on the playoff line.

This game was lost when we couldn't make it 3-0 when they were sorta in shock and skating poorly. We missed some massive chances.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
It's 3 games in 3.5 days with travel. Everything looks worse when the legs aren't there and you're mentally exhausted. There was a huge drop off after the 1st.
It’s fair to say that this is what they call a “scheduled loss.” I was actually really surprised they dominated the first, and said to myself “Dallas is not a chump team.” They proved me right. Given the circumstances, this was indeed a scheduled loss.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Losing happens, it's just the way they lost without even getting a point that sucks.

Reactions: Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
They needed to go on a run like this after their 2-8 stretch earlier in the season. It sucks we are still in fourth place. Let’s hope they go on another nice stretch.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh

I don't care about the streak. I care about how easily they abandon their "system" that so many boasted they were playing to a T. If we have these players in the system and on the team that are playing this system all across the board then there shouldn't be an issue. I can deal with a loss if the team played their game and adjusted.

But the moment Dallas ran Jarry and the crease and got physical, the Penguins turtled, were on their heels, made awful plays and passes, were forcing pucks along the boards and stretch passes that made no sense. That's been the issue I've seen with the Sully squad. It's what the Isles did and won.

It's what Dallas has done twice, and won. I am sure if we had McGinn And Rust we might have maybe just barely won but Dallas decided to bite back and the Pens packed up their ball and wanted to go home.

I didn't see them being quite so intimidated out there, if they were then they fell for some of the weakest "intimidation" I've ever witnessed. That certainly would be a Penguin thing to do, but I just didn't see it.

But maybe when you have 3 games in 4 days don't deliberately play 2 men short (Bjork and Friedman barely touched the ice at all) and run Jeff Carter -- who had a pretty weak game -- out of gas by playing him 21+ minutes in his first game back. Also don't screw with the line combos that had been working (ERod) unless you absolutely have no choice.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
So O'connor and Malkin back for Tues?

Guentzel Crosby Rodrigues
Malkin Carter Kapanen
Aston-Reese Blueger Heinen
Boyle O'connor Simon

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
there's really nobody in the system or on the roster who could do so at this moment. :dunno:

All in all a tough loss, but one I'd rather have than us looking like absolute ass like we did early in the season. On to the next one.
sometimes the coach just needs to step up and sit him even though his replacement may not be as good, so he can rest up and continue a high level of play.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
To be fair to Carter, why was he clocking over 21 minutes of ice time just back from Covid? Sully had other options, probably should had Riikola play forward on L4…
forget about riko, but Carter is a major issue if he keeps playing him these minutes at the center position, both first and third goal he was so slow at the end in his effort there, he was probably gassed out skating back to cover for Petts and Marino, but you can tell that he was slow to react...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
This 18-0-1 record when scoring first was unsustainable, of course, but being so close to two points and ending up with zero sucks. Carter has been pretty bad for a while but I am not sure he should get more blame for the GWG than Marino who coughed up the puck, then took forever to get back in position. A tired team with quite a few aging vets is going to make mistakes like that in 3rd game in 4 days. If it were up to me I probably would have kept ERod at center but the game was a coin-toss, not much to get upset about.
That makes sense, but if there is a one legit grievance towards Sully it would be his sticktoitevness (sometimes works sometimes doesn't) he has JC penciled as 3rd line center and there is no going back. yesterday was obvious, he was the guy coming back from Covid and had to be the guy covering for our dman pinching, it was unfortunate that both times on the first and third goal, our dman screwed up and he had to hussle back and looked really slow...so yeah, maybe playing him on the wing, bring Erod to the second line as a center, something like that...he also played Boyle crazy minutes and that was when we gat pinned down for the extended period of time. But this will all be way better when we get back Geno, Rust and McGinn...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

they play hard, thats not an issue. it breaks down when you have basically at least two lines that are extremely slow, cannot keep possession in the offensive zone and gets pinned down in a matter of seconds ...than you have those extensive shifts in your zone for a minute or so, where chances are something bad will happen quickly. The second we get decent fast lineup back that will go away.

Reactions: Andy99

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
uhh, if someone is moving to wing between Malkin and Carter, it better be Carter…
Well, given it's Malkin's first game in almost 9 months, figured Carter could help alleviate some center duties his first game back.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well, given it's Malkin's first game in almost 9 months, figured Carter could help alleviate some center duties his first game back.

I get it..but you must not have watched Carter yesterday…I think he was slower than Malkin will ever be lol

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We don’t want to be peaking in mid-January anyway. Do not care about the streak.

Back in 2016 they didn't start until after the 5 game losing streak in Dec. after Sully came aboard.

I'd say they just need to find a way to be consistent than putting higher win streaks together and just win in 3/5 game clusters. We'll certainly take the longer streaks, though.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have zero concerns with the team executing the system. They've done that fairly well all year. Usually when we lose it's because of other reasons, like blowing high danger chances or making low percentage offensive plays and throwing possession away too easily.

Today was a little different in that we ran outta juice.

Dallas pushed really hard. Have to give them credit too. They are 13-3-1 at home for a reason. Won the previous 3 and are healthy. Their points % is right on the playoff line.

This game was lost when we couldn't make it 3-0 when they were sorta in shock and skating poorly. We missed some massive chances.

Everything changed when the refs were giving out phantom calls.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So I say Pens should start a new winning streak, this time let it go for 11 games! :sarcasm:

21-1-0 in last 22 games is pretty good NGL!

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
So O'connor and Malkin back for Tues?

Guentzel Crosby Rodrigues
Malkin Carter Kapanen
Aston-Reese Blueger Heinen
Boyle O'connor Simon

No Reason to over complicate the lines. Also O'Connor is not a center in their eyes. I wouldn't be surprised to see this though the way they value their 4 centers. his lineup makes the most sense base on Sullys love for the centers.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rodrigues
Heinen- Malkin - Kapanen
O' Conner - Carter - Simon
Aston-Reese - TB - Boyle

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
No Reason to over complicate the lines. Also O'Connor is not a center in their eyes. I wouldn't be surprised to see this though the way they value their 4 centers. his lineup makes the most sense base on Sullys love for the centers.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rodrigues
Heinen- Malkin - Kapanen
O' Conner - Carter - Simon
Aston-Reese - TB - Boyle

They should move Carter to 4th line and give him less minutes ... the dude looked more gassed then the rest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad