Post-Game Talk: |January 8| Pens vs Stars | End of the winning streak

Sweatpant preference: we lost cause we weren’t united in the cause

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This was my fault, guys. I tuned in when it was already 2-0 Pens and got to enjoy three straight Dallas goals.

So essentially today was like watching a 3-0 loss for me.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
But he's also fully vaxxed as far as I know, and the symptomatic impacts of people who have been fully vaxxed are almost always very mild.

It hits different people differently, and even asymptomatic people are still finding related issues months down the line, though it's less certain how that's playing out yet among the vaxxed. Being pro athlete fit doesn't necessarily spare those effects, let alone hopping right into game speed fresh out of the protocol.

Being 37 probably doesn't help, either.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Winning this game would’ve been big... 3 games in 4 days, travel, early game. Oh well. Start a new one. I’m actually happy for one factor - we can insert Geno without worrying about the streak.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, I would’ve advocated that with our 11 forwards and ran Rodrigues and Carter in the 2C and 3C and plus the wings as they go.

nah
Boyle is better at center and tb needs to be center too. I would of put carter on the wing tho.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
No mild as in actually mild.

Not to reopen that can of worms, but there seems to be a huge variability in what "mild" actually means here. Some athletes have reported nagging symptoms for months that affect their performance, others nearly nothing. Genetics are wild.

All we can do is hope for the best and hope that the coaching staff can manage minutes appropriately.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Not to reopen that can of worms, but there seems to be a huge variability in what "mild" actually means here. Some athletes have reported nagging symptoms for months that affect their performance, others nearly nothing. Genetics are wild.

All we can do is hope for the best and hope that the coaching staff can manage minutes appropriately.
Medicinally speaking, doctors call it mild when there's no respiratory distress.

Some people with Omicron get high fevers and are in bed for 3-4 days. But since their lives aren't in danger they call it mild.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Medicinally speaking, doctors call it mild when there's no respiratory distress.

Some people with Omicron get high fevers and are in bed for 3-4 days. But since their lives aren't in danger they call it mild.

Yeah, plus tons of variations with the strains and whatnot. The Economist had an article about a paper that's just been published tracking the effects of some of the earlier strains on elite athletes and it was... a mixed bag. (For elite footballers, the effects of covid-19 linger for months for the curious)

:dunno: Like I said, best just to hope for the best, because what else ya gonna do?

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
This 18-0-1 record when scoring first was unsustainable, of course, but being so close to two points and ending up with zero sucks. Carter has been pretty bad for a while but I am not sure he should get more blame for the GWG than Marino who coughed up the puck, then took forever to get back in position. A tired team with quite a few aging vets is going to make mistakes like that in 3rd game in 4 days. If it were up to me I probably would have kept ERod at center but the game was a coin-toss, not much to get upset about.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Rust and McGinn out and 2-0 turning 2-3 late…
That’s…. not great.

Ah well. At least I didn’t lose sleep over it. On to the next one.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This 18-0-1 record when scoring first was unsustainable, of course, but being so close to two points and ending up with zero sucks. Carter has been pretty bad for a while but I am not sure he should get more blame for the GWG than Marino who coughed up the puck, then took forever to get back in position. A tired team with quite a few aging vets is going to make mistakes like that in 3rd game in 4 days. If it were up to me I probably would have kept ERod at center but the game was a coin-toss, not much to get upset about.

The thing with Carter is, it's totally understandable that he's running out of steam, he's been overused and he was playing at an unsustainable level since he came over. He was bound to dip back down to earth at some point. It's not insurmountable or anything, but it's definitely one of the risks of relying on older players to eat big minutes as much as we do.

I just wish we had more younger players who could step up and take some of those minutes off his plate, but honestly, there's really nobody in the system or on the roster who could do so at this moment. :dunno:

All in all a tough loss, but one I'd rather have than us looking like absolute ass like we did early in the season. On to the next one.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
People still shop at old navy?

200.gif

I didn’t know that store was still open.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
For the life of my, I can't understand the casual way Marino played the GWG. One would have thought he'd be eager to clean up the mess he started by losing possession? Sees a dude with a green sweater living in our crease and can't get motivated to address this? I can't figure out who this player is.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
For the life of my, I can't understand the casual way Marino played the GWG. One would have thought he'd be eager to clean up the mess he started by losing possession? Sees a dude with a green sweater living in our crease and can't get motivated to address this? I can't figure out who this player is.

The problem is, that Marino has the exact same question.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The thing with Carter is, it's totally understandable that he's running out of steam, he's been overused and he was playing at an unsustainable level since he came over. He was bound to dip back down to earth at some point. It's not insurmountable or anything, but it's definitely one of the risks of relying on older players to eat big minutes as much as we do.

I just wish we had more younger players who could step up and take some of those minutes off his plate, but honestly, there's really nobody in the system or on the roster who could do so at this moment. :dunno:

All in all a tough loss, but one I'd rather have than us looking like absolute ass like we did early in the season. On to the next one.

Carter looked like he was fine prior to going out for COVID.

He had 8 points in his last 10 including 5 goals.

Reactions: Pancakes

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Before some child ruined the game for me...

I don't care about the streak. I care about how easily they abandon their "system" that so many boasted they were playing to a T. If we have these players in the system and on the team that are playing this system all across the board then there shouldn't be an issue. I can deal with a loss if the team played their game and adjusted.

But the moment Dallas ran Jarry and the crease and got physical, the Penguins turtled, were on their heels, made awful plays and passes, were forcing pucks along the boards and stretch passes that made no sense. That's been the issue I've seen with the Sully squad. It's what the Isles did and won.

It's what Dallas has done twice, and won. I am sure if we had McGinn And Rust we might have maybe just barely won but Dallas decided to bite back and the Pens packed up their ball and wanted to go home.

Who cares about streaks? I care about how hard they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad