Post-Game Talk: |January 6|Pens win vs Flyers| Thats #10 in a row boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The flyers board is bizarro world right now. Flyers fans hate their own team so much that they’re giving the Pens credit for being competitive this late into Sid/Genos careers. Feels weird. All their animosity is just towards their own team.

Zv4Go4v.gif

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I really dislike how the media keeps bringing up McGinn as a Tanev replacement, especially since he was very bothered and unhappy about it in an interview earlier this season
McGinn is twice as player Tanev is...and he is dying on that shit line, the guy has some serious offensive skills and would be awesome in different combo, maybe Kappy on the other wing, or anyone but ZAR

Reactions: Genetic

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I mean, they had a team as good as ours in 2010 and then blew it up for Bryz and proceeded to do nothing while Giroux was a top ten player in the league.

During that time they’ve seen the majority of the stars and legacy Flyers go on to win cups in Gagne, Richards, Carter, and Timonen.

They’ve been horribly run the last decade compared to what they were prior to that which was consistently in a cup finals pretty much every decade.

You can also add the GM they ran out of town for having the audacity to want to give the franchise time to develop talent rather than try to buy it, being majorly responsible for our success this year.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lucky man. $800 each here for a pair to see f***ing Donskoi beat the Pens in OT in G3 '16 SCF in San Jose. Still, my son and I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. When I come to Vancouver to see the annual Pens game, I keep a couple hundred Canadian in my pocket to facilitate making bail (or the CA equivalent) when I finally lose it and beat the shit out of an obnoxious, aggro Canucks fan. Why are they so bad? Edmonton fans are a delight in comparison. Rangers, too, come to think of it.

I paid $350 for a ticket to Game 1 2008 SCF in Detroit. Then another 350 for the last room at the Renaissance Center. Worth it.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
We are in the hood rat part of the schedule, so don't take it too seriously.

42f66c7c-2326-43ee-a876-db3860c59eac_text.gif

If they can start dominating playoff teams (TBL, FLA, CAR), I will be riding the hype train with you guys. We have a SC caliber bottom 6, but Sully doesn't realize it. DOC and Zohorna need to be regulars and get realistic minutes on our full health roster though. Zucker and Carter need to be dealt because they both are our bottom forwards and take roster spots away from more effective players. There is a reason the team is looking so good right now, and it's addition by subtraction. Zucker's and Carter's 5% SH finishing is not missed.

Zero reasons why DOC doesn't crack a lineup and this is one of the best WOWY charts on the team. Zohorna also has the best 5v5 pts/min of any PIT player over the last 2 seasons.

o'condr98

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I would not recommend browsing hfboards without ad block. Last time I did that I think I even caught a comp virus on here because there's so many obnoxious and intrusive ads.

Adblock in general is nice though although lots of sites now are being obnoxious about it and will send you a message to disable it and not let you read content if you have it running. But I usually tell sites that tell me to disable it or else to f off unless I really really want to read their stuff.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Jarry's save and the quick counter leading to Guentzel's goal that made it 5-1 were orgasmic. The way he contemptuously flipped the puck into the net like playing against a zamboni driver. Then Boyle twisted the knife in.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I would not recommend browsing hfboards without ad block. Last time I did that I think I even caught a comp virus on here because there's so many obnoxious and intrusive ads.

Adblock in general is nice though although lots of sites now are being obnoxious about it and will send you a message to disable it and not let you read content if you have it running. But I usually tell sites that tell me to disable it or else to f off unless I really really want to read their stuff.
giphy.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We are in the hood rat part of the schedule, so don't take it too seriously.

42f66c7c-2326-43ee-a876-db3860c59eac_text.gif

If they can start dominating playoff teams (TBL, FLA, CAR), I will be riding the hype train with you guys. We have a SC caliber bottom 6, but Sully doesn't realize it. DOC and Zohorna need to be regulars and get realistic minutes on our full health roster though. Zucker and Carter need to be dealt because they both are our bottom forwards and take roster spots away from more effective players. There is a reason the team is looking so good right now, and it's addition by subtraction. Zucker's and Carter's 5% SH finishing is not missed.

Zero reasons why DOC doesn't crack a lineup and this is one of the best WOWY charts on the team. Zohorna also has the best 5v5 pts/min of any PIT player over the last 2 seasons.

o'condr98

O'Connor doesn't have a point since October.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I would ordinarily agree with you, but the Penguins played last night against a team that was rested. Yes, the Flyers were depleted and had just travelled cross-country, but still, the AHLers they were using would have more energy than the tired Penguins.

Haha, I was mostly kidding. I said save it for better teams.

It's pretty impressive they played like ten minutes of hockey and still stomped the Flyers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You can cut Rodrigues' production in half and he'd still be a more useful player than McCann was for the Penguins.

ERod's actually driving play and is noticeable almost every shift he's out there. McCann never drove play like ERod has this year. He did produce well, but he was never really the line driver at any point for the Penguins.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I paid $350 for a ticket to Game 1 2008 SCF in Detroit. Then another 350 for the last room at the Renaissance Center. Worth it.

I think I paid $300 for G 2 of the 2009 Final in Detroit

PS- next time crash at my house (not that Detroit will be in the finals anytime soon)

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
You can cut Rodrigues' production in half and he'd still be a more useful player than McCann was for the Penguins.

ERod's actually driving play and is noticeable almost every shift he's out there. McCann never drove play like ERod has this year. He did produce well, but he was never really the line driver at any point for the Penguins.

It's important to note that you can't just have "fast players". Those players have to do something useful.

Erod is fast. So is (was) Hags. Tanev is also fast. There are also 25+ alike fast players in this league.

Difference between Hags and Tanev is that the former has a hockey IQ where he knows where the puck is going to be, so he can use his speed to get there before anyone else. Tanev isn't a threat except to hit people and is always chasing the puck.

Hags is also smart enough to put the puck somewhere to help his linemates. I wouldn't call Hags a "line driver" but he was the oil in the engine. I'd call McCann the oil dipstick :)

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I want to make the Pascal Dupuis comparison...I mean it feels too obvious not to keep making it...but even there Dupuis had a 20 goal/48 point season as a 23/24 year-old that he only topped once as a Penguin...and a lot of Dupuis's points were a direct result of Sid. E-Rod is benefiting from linemates to be sure....but he's also driving offense himself, which is the most mind-blowing thing about his season to me. He's beating goalies with his shot, not tapping it into too many empty nets...and, knock on wood, he's not doing this at the expense of anything that made his continued presence on the roster understandable, if not particularly lauded. His game has just gone to a completely different level and I can't pretend that I saw any of this coming.

Rodrigues has obviously never done anything like this offensively in the NHL...but who here remembered that he had 61 points for Boston University in 2014-15? I sure didn't. Sure he was greatly aided there by Jack Eichel...as if success with a significantly more talented player isn't a specific skill the Penguins look for. His four seasons at BU totaled 12, 34, 14, & 61 points...which looks a lot less random now than it did before.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Sounds dope. Can't say I've ever been. I just don't have much reason to spend time in Burnaby besides passing through. My jobs have tended to be pretty local when living in Canada, and when I want to see the city I just go straight to Vancouver. My friends live there as well.

Surrey is developing nicely though and I spent a fair amount of time there last summer.

They opened a second Black Lodge on East Broadway after the Burnaby location closed, but that's been shut down for a year now too. Been to that one a few times.

23908378248_c6b319b26d_b.jpg

Was a beauty
Wow. Same motif for sure, but way bigger than the hole in the wall I stumbled into. I didn't realize Twin Peaks was still a thing?

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

BobCole

May 21, 2014

Yep.

I'm happy to eat crow with regards to McCann and Turbo. I understood the dynamics at play in terms of why we lost them, but I was worried we'd miss Turbo's sandpaper and that our bottom 6 couldn't afford to lose any scoring touch, which McCann had.

Suffice it to say I had no idea that Rodrigues would turn into Godrigues, or that guys like McGinn and Heinen would fit in so nicely.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I want to make the Pascal Dupuis comparison...I mean it feels too obvious not to keep making it...but even there Dupuis had a 20 goal/48 point season as a 23/24 year-old that he only topped once as a Penguin...and a lot of Dupuis's points were a direct result of Sid. E-Rod is benefiting from linemates to be sure....but he's also driving offense himself, which is the most mind-blowing thing about his season to me. He's beating goalies with his shot, not tapping it into too many empty nets...and, knock on wood, he's not doing this at the expense of anything that made his continued presence on the roster understandable, if not particularly lauded. His game has just gone to a completely different level and I can't pretend that I saw any of this coming.

Rodrigues has obviously never done anything like this offensively in the NHL...but who here remembered that he had 61 points for Boston University in 2014-15? I sure didn't. Sure he was greatly aided there by Jack Eichel...as if success with a significantly more talented player isn't a specific skill the Penguins look for. His four seasons at BU totaled 12, 34, 14, & 61 points...which looks a lot less random now than it did before.

Erod is if Dupuis and TK had a love child.

He also could be a face double for Pete Davidson

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Wow. Same motif for sure, but way bigger than the hole in the wall I stumbled into. I didn't realize Twin Peaks was still a thing?

We got a Twin Peaks 4 years ago. I had never heard of them and thought they were just a brewery. I took my wife there and we couldn't stop laughing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad