Post-Game Talk: |January 5|Pens vs Blues win|Dr eRodlove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
my only problem with this is that Carter should be getting less minutes not more…I like ERod at center but with Geno back and ERod’s scoring prowess, I like him better getting more offensive minutes and Ozone starts on L2…who I don’t like getting more is Kap lol…so I think Carter in the bottom six with Kap is the best way to go, and L2 should be ERod-Geno-Heinen
It might be more minutes, but being on the wing and starting more in the O-zone, they would be easier minutes.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree with ERod and Geno being a thing. If ERod wants to fire the puck like he has this would be potentially a fire combo

plus, Kap has been really bad and Carter hasn’t been as good as he was last season…I’d like to see them both working against lesser competition before dropping either in the top six…if that means we have a third or fourth line of Zucker/Simon-Carter-Kap which may not be as good with ERod on it, I’m fine with that in the RS…

Reactions: vodeni

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It might be more minutes, but being on the wing and starting more in the O-zone, they would be easier minutes.

yeah, I don’t know though…Geno needs some hard workers even more than he did pre-injury…I think that’s not Carter or Kap atm…I think L2 would be better with ERod and Heinen on it…Zucker-Carter-Kap is a really good third line…I mean it’s not like any of this is gonna happen lol as Sullivan seems committed to Kap with Geno and Carter at center

Reactions: vodeni

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
the more interesting question imo is what you do with PP1 when Geno returns…you can’t take ERod off left half wall, can you? So one of Rust, Jake or Geno will be on PP2…that’s crazy…

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
yeah, I don’t know though…Geno needs some hard workers even more than he did pre-injury…I think that’s not Carter or Kap atm…I think L2 would be better with ERod and Heinen on it…Zucker-Carter-Kap is a really good third line…I mean it’s not like any of this is gonna happen lol as Sullivan seems committed to Kap with Geno and Carter at center

I assume this would be a healthy group:

GCR
Z-M-Erod
Heinen-JC-Kap
ZAR-B-McGinn

With the middle 6 being rotated based on flow.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The way E-Rod is shooting the puck right now, he's worth a look on Malkin's wing, too, but his best quality this season has been making stuff happen with the puck on his stick IMO. That doesn't really mesh with Malkin and could be of great benefit to L3. That's not to say Carter doesn't make stuff happen with the puck or that E-Rod can't capitalize on plays Malkin makes. I just like the make up of Carter on 2RW and E-Rod 3C better. On paper anyway.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The last time I remember seeing Sid do something like this was when he beat the Oilers in OT and even then that wasn't real hockey.

He looked really good last night. I thought he looked dialed in even before he got punched in the face.

This team has been playing great hockey for most of the year but the missing element for a while was that star power edge to put them over the top. Sid is providing that right now, and if Malkin comes back and also plays at a high level, I ask even the most pessimistic poster to let me know why we can't compete for a Stanley Cup. Yeah there's some really good teams in the league. We're one of them.

Reactions: Still Apps

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The way E-Rod is shooting the puck right now, he's worth a look on Malkin's wing, too, but his best quality this season has been making stuff happen with the puck on his stick IMO. That doesn't really mesh with Malkin and could be of great benefit to L3. That's not to say Carter doesn't make stuff happen with the puck or that E-Rod can't capitalize on plays Malkin makes. I just like the make up of Carter on 2RW and E-Rod 3C better. On paper anyway.

It's worth trying ERod first with G...just breaking down TOI I'd want him getting more time than JC.

But you definitely need to find the right mesh in the middle 6. I'm hopeful Geno comes back looking like his old self and just being a bull in a China shop.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He looked really good last night. I thought he looked dialed in even before he got punched in the face.

This team has been playing great hockey for most of the year but the missing element for a while was that star power edge to put them over the top. Sid is providing that right now, and if Malkin comes back and also plays at a high level, I ask even the most pessimistic poster to let me know why we can't compete for a Stanley Cup. Yeah there's some really good teams in the league. We're one of them.

I think it was more just the emotional investment. Sid is such a robot on the ice sometimes.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think it was more just the emotional investment. Sid is such a robot on the ice sometimes.

You could tell the team was fired up after he got punched like that and even moreso when he came back and set up Rust's goal.

It's pretty awesome to see him fired up like that

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You could tell the team was fired up after he got punched like that and even moreso when he came back and set up Rust's goal.

It's pretty awesome to see him fired up like that

Also the fact he worked the shit out of Mikola on that tying goal. Hot damn.

I've been waiting to see him do that in the playoffs. But he's generally wilted and been a defensive liability.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Also the fact he worked the shit out of Mikola on that tying goal. Hot damn.

I've been waiting to see him do that in the playoffs. But he's generally wilted and been a defensive liability.

As well as we've played at times in the regular season the past few years, I don't ever feel like there was a consistency in play and a vibe like this team has now.

The last time the team felt like this was when Sullivan first took over. There's just such a total commitment to a particular brand of hockey and everyone is buying in.

I know it could all go away in the playoffs. Hockey is weird like that. But I haven't felt this good about the Pens in a while.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
As well as we've played at times in the regular season the past few years, I don't ever feel like there was a consistency in play and a vibe like this team has now.

The last time the team felt like this was when Sullivan first took over. There's just such a total commitment to a particular brand of hockey and everyone is buying in.

I know it could all go away in the playoffs. Hockey is weird like that. But I haven't felt this good about the Pens in a while.

2017 from when Simon and Sprong came up until Brassard's injury.
2019 with the G-M-R line until Sid came back.
Last year from around the end of February until the end of the season.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The last time I remember seeing Sid do something like this was when he beat the Oilers in OT and even then that wasn't real hockey.

The worse part is I can't believe I had prior commitments and the last live moment I saw was bloody Crosby.

Had to go see highlights might go back and watch the 3rd full period. I can't believe I missed the hype.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
2017 from when Simon and Sprong came up until Brassard's injury.
2019 with the G-M-R line until Sid came back.
Last year from around the end of February until the end of the season.

I never felt quite this good about any of those teams. I think for me it's the commitment to defensive excellence and the play of TJ. There's just something different here.

We'll see how it all shakes out long term but I'm in love

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I never felt quite this good about any of those teams. I think for me it's the commitment to defensive excellence and the play of TJ. There's just something different here.

We'll see how it all shakes out long term but I'm in love

Yeah, I guess it is true we haven't seen consistency from the goaltender and also we were running Jack Johnson most years.

I really thought last year's team was going to go on a run.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah, I guess it is true we haven't seen consistency from the goaltender and also we were running Jack Johnson most years.

I think but for the Islanders, they might have. That's another thing that gives me optimism. The teams that give us fits (Isles/Habs) are not going to make the playoffs.

The teams we might play instead are no picnic, but at least we don't have to worry about overcoming a team that has given us fits recently.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Not sure I'd agree with given how Geno was with Kessel, with good Kappy last season, GMR... I think Geno really thrives on having a guy who he can a) spring from his own zone and rely on them to get the opposition zone and make a chance b) give the puck to after he's drawn two guys in their zone. Just has to be someone who's got the vision and skill to give Geno the puck back when the time is right - and the confidence to hold onto it if it isn't.

Maybe I've changed my mind and want ERod with Geno after all.

They would have with this version of Jarry.

Mildly depressing thought that for all the work they can do on getting everything right, so much of it depends on Jarry's mentality on any given day, and how we've got so little way to predict it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad