GDT: Jan. 5, 2006 - Gold Medal Game: Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Bluenote13 said:
I think if you watch this Tourney after giving it sometime you'll see that this was one that the other teams gave away

none of these teams in the Tourney brought they're 'A' game.

Don't detract from the what Canada did. All the US had to do was beat them to get the bye, and they could only manage a tie. All russia had to do was beat them to win the Gold, and they got creamed.

Other teams may not have brought their "A game", but for the US, you have to wonder what their "A game" was, seeing as it didn't really ever show up, and for the Russians, they didn't bring it when it was needed the most, which says something about their team.

Canada was 6-0 and allowed 6 (or 7) goals all tournament, with ONE allowed at even strength. Hell, three of those goals came from the Swiss! That's some straight up defensive domination.

Bud

Jun 27, 2005
McGuillicuddy said:
Canada played physical. They did not play clutch/grab.

Physical hockey does not equal clutch/grab.

True.

About Downie's goal. He shouldn't have been allowed to walk out from behind the net like he did. If a Russian tried that, he woulda been laid out.

The Canadians were willing to pay the price, the Russians were not.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
In the end, in this particular game, the better team won. Period. The Russian goalie isn't to blame for the fact that his teammates could not bury their chances in the first period. It's not the goalie's fault that Malkin had no answer for the way the Canadians play him at 5-on-5. It's not the referees fault that the Russian shooters could not get the job done early, or in the minutes after the missed goal, when Russia had several chances to score.

Canada was the better team. They played better as a team. That's why they won. There's more to just winning in hockey than just talent.

This was not boring hockey. It was brilliant team hockey. Hard hits along the board, crunching open ice hits, timely scoring, sound defensive play and great goaltending is not boring. It's the recipe for success in the greatest sport on earth.

Once again, the old adage is proven true: offence wins games, defence wins championships.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Injektilo said:
Don't detract from the what Canada did. All the US had to do was beat them to get the bye, and they could only manage a tie. All russia had to do was beat them to win the Gold, and they got creamed.

Other teams may not have brought their "A game", but for the US, you have to wonder what their "A game" was, seeing as it didn't really ever show up, and for the Russians, they didn't bring it when it was needed the most, which says something about their team.

Canada was 6-0 and allowed 6 (or 7) goals all tournament, with ONE allowed at even strength. Hell, three of those goals came from the Swiss! That's some straight up defensive domination.

I'm not trying to detract, a win is a win as a win is a win.....Congrats to Canada, Kudo's, blessed be the North.... seriously, enjoy the rewards.

Canada seemed to be the only team playing a full 60 minutes. Great job being ready, the coaches should be commended. But when push came to shove, the other teams went flat trying to play Canada's game when they shouldve just played to their own strengths.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
switch the goalies and it;s 10-0 Russia... Talentless and borring hockey, you have read right the first time. I'd be in the same mood as your are if Russia had won, but look at this objectively. This team looked like a 2001 NJ Devils........ Great goaltending, great D, great system... fun to watch, no.

Very predictable post from you. BTW the 2001 Devils were the highest scoring team in the nhl.

troutman

Jun 23, 2005
I will start taking Russian complaints about officiating seriously when they stop with all the diving and play-acting. Play with some honor.

That player lying on the ice, and then later on the bench with ice on his neck, and smelling salts? What a joke! He was grazed on the shoulder.

The IIHF really needs to do something about diving. It seems to be a deliberate and acceptable strategy in Europe. Canada does it too, and I am embarrassed when they do it, but they don't do it nearly as much as European teams. FIFA has the same problem in soccer. Clean it up!

Last edited:

SudburyWolvesFan

Jan 5, 2006
Metallian said:
My gripe is that Russia was better suited for the New-NHL where speed and skill were key, and it worked for them all tournament. Then all of a sudden this game the officials don't call anything, and the entire gameplan changed to a clutch/grab style that was better suited for the defence-oriented Canadians.

I'm not saying it was intentional, just that I'm disappointed in the absolute inability to call penaltys consistantly. The tournament started off with them calling everything; then it changed to allow physical play but still crack down on obstruction; and by the final they were allowing everything.

the violin is playing again....

EVERY TEAM IN THE TOURNY COMPLAINED ABOUT THE RIDICULOUS OFFICIATING!

Almost every penalty last night was a stick penalty! SUCK IT UP this isnt the NHL dont compare it! its a bunch of boys playing a game

SudburyWolvesFan

Jan 5, 2006
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story/?ID=149593&hubname=world_jrs

"This goal would have had an outcome on the game," said Mikhalev. "Team Canada would have had to play differently."

Canadian coach Brent Sutter doubted the goal would have made any difference.

"I have to disagree with the Russian coach," said Sutter. "We would not have changed our game plan if the Russians had scored one goal."

The Canadians wouldn't have let off. It's nothing but chatter to assume that Russia could have won this game with that one goal. They also could have waken the Canadians up to an even bigger thumping. Anything could have happened.

"If that goal was counted and taken into consideration, the psychological impact would have inspired the team," said Lemtyugov.

Evgeni Malkin, named the MVP after tying American Phil Kessel with a tournament-leading 10 points, wasn't surprised the call went against Russia.

"We were ready that the referee might not be on our side," said Malkin. "Of course it didn't help our motivation. Nonetheless, we fought back and tried our best."

Prior to the final, Malkin said if his team played to its potential it would "easily" beat Canada. After the loss, Malkin could only praise the Canadians.

"They are a very good team," said second player taken in the 2004 NHL draft. "They play tough, physical and strong."

It was early in the second period, and only a two goal lead, if they weren't inspired or motivated at that point, there's a serious problem because the biggest thing I've noticed about previous Russian teams was how remotivated they seemed to be after trailing, it usually wakes them up.

Malkin seems like a very classy player. It's pretty obvious even he knows they were seriously outplayed and that they blew many opportunities to bury their chances.

Defenceman Alexei Emelin said the loud, soldout crowd of 18,630 intimidated the Russians in what was a physical, high-energy game. The Candians hit everything in red, disrupting the flow of the Russian attack like boulders in a river.

That boys and girls is the Team Canada gameplan written in plain english.

Anybody watching the replay? The first period was quite back and forth as far as penalties go, I'd like to know officially, how many penalties were called on each team.

Backin72

Jul 9, 2004
Winnipeg
SudburyWolvesFan said:
Quote of the night:

I believe Duthie said it on Sportsdesk
"If the Russians wanted the gold they should have gone out and taken it."
The Russians got burned 8-1 in exhibition by Canada. Seems to me they DIDN'T LEARN from their mistakes. They did NOTHING to change their game plan that obviously DIDN'T WORK before. Oh well, maybe next time. ;)

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
I dont think theres somebody who hates loser talk more than me. Yes the goal was in but theres still more than half a game to play. Like some poster said, during the USC-Texas game there was a touchdown that shoulnt have been one and it clearly had an impact on the game but we never heard USC complain about that after the game cuz thats what losers do, they try to find every excuses everywhere except within their own camp. Pogge outplayed Khudobin, Canada was relentless and they neutralized Malkin, thats the story of the game.

About the officiating, yes there was many missed called but here many Russian fans think they were one sided when we clearly saw that it went both ways. When you lose blame your team first cuz most of the time this is where the answers are.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Bluenote13 said:
I'm not trying to detract, a win is a win as a win is a win.....Congrats to Canada, Kudo's, blessed be the North.... seriously, enjoy the rewards.

Canada seemed to be the only team playing a full 60 minutes. Great job being ready, the coaches should be commended. But when push came to shove, the other teams went flat trying to play Canada's game when they shouldve just played to their own strengths.

Maybe it's just possible that Canada didn't allow them to play "their own strengths" and thus shut them down and delivered a serious whuppin? Naa, couldn't have been Canada's strength, must have been the other teams weakness' :sarcasm:

Perhaps...maybe...coulda...shoulda.....bla, bla, bla. 5-0 Canada and that's no accident.

Canada should give them the first goal, it's only fair, right? Then they can give them two more, just in case the reffing was a bit biased(which it wasn't, but what the hey) . Oh, and then throw in another goal just to be good hosts because the poor muffins feel they were hard done by over here. Hmmm, OK, that's 5-4 Canada. Well lookie there... team Russia still lost. What more can be done short of giving them the gold before they even came to the tourny?

Seriously, if it had be even remotely close I could understand some debate about this call and that call etc, etc, etc. But, Team Russia was blown out in all categories. Anyone trying to argue the outcome only makes themself look foolish.

KariyaIsGod*

troutman said:
I will start taking Russian complaints about officiating seriously when they stop with all the diving and play-acting. Play with some honor.

That player lying on the ice, and then later on the bench with ice on his neck, and smelling salts? What a joke! He was grazed on the shoulder.

The IIHF really needs to do something about diving. It seems to be a deliberate and acceptable strategy in Europe. Canada does it too, and I am embarrassed when they do it, but they don't do it nearly as much as European teams. FIFA has the same problem in soccer. Clean it up!

AGREED

SudburyWolvesFan

Jan 5, 2006
jcpenny said:
I dont think theres somebody who hates loser talk more than me. Yes the goal was in but theres still more than half a game to play. Like some poster said, during the USC-Texas game there was a touchdown that shoulnt have been one and it clearly had an impact on the game but we never heard USC complain about that after the game cuz thats what losers do, they try to find every excuses everywhere except within their own camp. Pogge outplayed Khudobin, Canada was relentless and they neutralized Malkin, thats the story of the game.

About the officiating, yes there was many missed called but here many Russian fans think they were one sided when we clearly saw that it went both ways. When you lose blame your team first cuz most of the time this is where the answers are.

im football challenged, how does a touchdown get missed just outta curiosity???

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
Sum of the whole > Individual parts

That basically sums up the game. Canada was a team and Russian was a group of individuals. They didn't stand a chance.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
SudburyWolvesFan said:
im football challenged, how does a touchdown get missed just outta curiosity???
What happen is that the play was suppose to be dead when the QB's need touched the ground but the play carried on the lateral pass and resulted in a touchdown.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Pathfinder said:
Maybe it's just possible that Canada didn't allow them to play "their own strengths" and thus shut them down and delivered a serious whuppin? Naa, couldn't have been Canada's strength, must have been the other teams weakness' :sarcasm:

Perhaps...maybe...coulda...shoulda.....bla, bla, bla. 5-0 Canada and that's no accident.

Canada should give them the first goal, it's only fair, right? Then they can give them two more, just in case the reffing was a bit biased(which it wasn't, but what the hey) . Oh, and then throw in another goal just to be good hosts because the poor muffins feel they were hard done by over here. Hmmm, OK, that's 5-4 Canada. Well lookie there... team Russia still lost. What more can be done short of giving them the gold before they even came to the tourny?

Seriously, if it had be even remotely close I could understand some debate about this call and that call etc, etc, etc. But, Team Russia was blown out in all categories. Anyone trying to argue the outcome only makes themself look foolish.

I don't have a problem with the officiating, never have. Like I said before, it looked like Canada was the only team pysched to be at this tournament. The rest of the teams played when they were forced to play at that level, I.E. the Canada games.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Bluenote13 said:
I don't have a problem with the officiating, never have. Like I said before, it looked like Canada was the only team pysched to be at this tournament. The rest of the teams played when they were forced to play at that level, I.E. the Canada games.

Actually, most of that wasn't aimed specifically at you. Just the first para. Sorry. I just happened to hit the "quote" button on your post for the first para and then went into a bit of a rant ;)

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
DrMoses said:
troutman said:
...when they stop with all the diving and play-acting...

The IIHF really needs to do something about diving. It seems to be a deliberate and acceptable strategy in Europe... ...Clean it up!
AGREED

AGREED. This clip shows it all! Those divers!! Clean it up! Clean it up! h ttp://rapidshare.de/files/10507842/wjc2006.wmv.html

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Slay said:
AGREED. This clip shows it all! Those divers!! Clean it up! Clean it up! h ttp://rapidshare.de/files/10507842/wjc2006.wmv.html

Great clips! Can you post the clips of 13:39 and 19:57 of the first period? Plus there was a funny dive by Downie when Malkin was penalized!

This is just a couple, there were about a dozen more.

troutman

Jun 23, 2005
Siberian said:
Great clips! Can you post the clips of 13:39 and 19:57 of the first period? Plus there was a funny dive by Downie when Malkin was penalized!

This is just a couple, there were about a dozen more.

You comrades are great with your clips. You have selective memorys. Watch the whole game. If Canada dived 5 times, Russia dived 25 times.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Considering that Canada gave Russia so much support during this tourney. Even over our neighbors to the south(which makes no sense IMO). What a bunch of sore losers!!! :cry: Have some pride guys, lose with dignity. I hope that this is the last time that Canada cheers on Russia over USA. Cheap game or not, Canada brought their game(which is Canadian) every thing else isn't hockey. Sorry sore losers...it is what it is, and thats Hockey.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
This is great! It's eating them up inside. They can't go on with life. Fixating...agonizing...obsessed. They'll need psychiatric help soon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad