Jamie Oleksiak: Starting to deliver on his potential

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah, figured he'd turn into a bottom pairing dman at most. Don't forget, Habs fans liked Jordie Benn (also traded for a 4th + Pateryn) at first too. Oleksiak will go back to being his usual awful self next season I'm sure. Since we traded him we have been one of the best defensive team' in the league (top 5). Not missing him one bit, and that certainly is no coincidence.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Yeah, figured he'd turn into a bottom pairing dman at most. Don't forget, Habs fans liked Jordie Benn (also traded for a 4th + Pateryn) at first too. Oleksiak will go back to being his usual awful self next season I'm sure. Since we traded him we have been one of the best defensive team' in the league (top 5). Not missing him one bit, and that certainly is no coincidence.

Just like Justin "Worst player in the league" Schultz?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just like Justin "Worst player in the league" Schultz?

Schultz was known to be bad defensively. His offensive side was there though. Oleksiak truly has neither, but Pens fans won't notice that until next year or in the playoffs.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Was at the Bruin-Pens game a week ago and watched this guy get light up like a Christmas Tree, didn't get the hype at all.

But looking at the numbers, he's had a real turnaround since leaving Dallas.

Seems like change of system has masked his faults a lot better than previously.

Reactions: wintersej

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Schultz was known to be bad defensively. His offensive side was there though. Oleksiak truly has neither, but Pens fans won't notice that until next year or in the playoffs.

The 9 goals and 35 points in a season and a half offensive side? The penguins have been reclaiming defensemen since Matt Niskanen. Oleksiak has been turning it around, even when he had to carry Hunwick who is probably a #3 in the AHL at this point.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
The guy's really come into his own in Pittsburgh, and is looking like what Dallas hoped he'd become. He's producing well (10 points in 34 games), generally playing pretty good defense, and gets in the mix when things get rough (fight with Chara, end-game scrum tonight in Philly).

Very good bottom pair defenseman so far, and maybe capable of more. Pens have had trouble developing defensemen they draft themselves but are for some reason pretty successful rehabbing them the last few years.
What a ringing endorsement for a Defenseman "Starting to deliver on his potential"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Except you're incredibly wrong. Not only has he been solid in his own end, he's also rushed up the ice and created some decent scoring chances and has shown that side of his game. You're just flat out wrong. I get it, your team traded another player to us that worked out in our favor, I'd be mad too, I bet you wished Joe Morrow turned into a stud too, but he didn't. We all lose sometimes (or in Dallas' case, every time they trade with us).

Reactions: Brandinho

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017

In before Dallas misses the playoffs...

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Oleksiak hasn't met an isolation play that he didn't want to be victimized by in his life...he isn't that smart of a player really. He is big and athletic though and hasn't been bad as a Penguin certainly. Naturally, since he was a Dallas pick (I was their writer here for nine years) and I'm a Pens fan (was in attendance last night and all), I have seen a lot of him...he can be a third pairing guy, but the lowest hanging fruit is just stacking two forwards on either side of his dot line to maintain and he will never, ever, ever get it right...big problems with NZ defense and risk mitigation/management...could be better against sustained attacks...

Oddly, unlike most gargantuan, not-a-genius defensemen, he is surprisingly not mean most of the time...even going back to junior, a lot of his fouls are stick fouls...

Fine acquisition and the price was right...but he's not doing anything thread-worthy in my eyes...

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
According to the NHL shift logs it was a 3:03 shift. NHL.com - Stats

According to Play By Play it was 3 consecutive shifts with 2 stoppages in between:
1st: 13 seconds - Pastrnak penalty
2nd: 22 seconds - stoppage
3rd: 148 seconds - stoppage and fight

Basically he it was 13 second of play, then a penalty so he stayed as a member of 1st PK unit. Then it was stoppage after 22 seconds of PK and he probably stayed for another shift to change soon. PIT seemed to lock BOS in Dzone for the rest of the PK though and also for some time after that. So it was not that he chose to stay.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Considering he was pitched as someone who doesn't know his ass from hockey, he's been fantastic since about game #3.

No way Cole is so easily dealt without Oleksiak stepping up.

But hey, apparently he barely lost a fight to the only guy in the league bigger than him, so I guess that means he's terrible again now.

Reactions: domaug

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
He'd still be our 8th defender on the depth chart, and maybe 9th because Heatherington is more sound defensively.

He didn't work out in Ruff's system and didn't work out in Hitch's system. He might be a bottom pairing dman, sure, but those are dime a dozen. By all accounts he's a great teammate, but the Stars are a better hockey team with him off the ice.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Oleksiak has been a great addition to the penguins. He definitely looks like another reclamation steal. Penguins fans also really like what we see.

However he is definitely not main boards thread worthy at this point.

Reactions: flaneur and SenzZen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad