James Neal fined for diving

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
They should suspend them. 1 game for the first dive, add a game for each addition dive. Pretty soon the players would get the hint and stop. Money lost per game suspended is far greater then those fines will ever be.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The NHLPA is why the fines are so minimal...but the real penalty here is the public shaming that goes along with it. The refs aren't going to be giving him too many breaks for a while.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Vatanen has a "history" too.

If Voracek was on the Ducks, would this be "embellishment" too?

https://vine.co/v/OvHp9uruV6l
Just because someone says something negative about a member of a team or a team in general doesn't mean they have anything against them or the players on their team. You've spent way too long on HFBoards if you truly believe that.

The Ducks are a great team and the way they cycled the puck last night against the Leafs was amazing. It was unfortunate for them that they weren't able to come up with much despite it.

Also, Getzlaf dove, get over it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's not about the fine, it's about the reputation.

Neal's reputation, merited or not, is that he's a headhunting dirtbag that goes AWOL in big games. Nobody's going to notice another scuff on the shoes of that rep.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
fhVHvcx.png

Is that per year or career? Because if that is career it would be cool and would affect signings and trading.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
Nice joke. Since when did losing your balance become diving?

Are people still arguing that he didn't dive? He literally got a penalty for diving. I'm not sure why people are getting so ******** over it, the guy dove.

He's taken dives in the past:

Phil Kessel has taken "dives" in the past:

Nazem Kadri has taken dives in the past:

The vast majority of players in the league have taken a few dives throughout their careers. I don't know how big of a homer you need to be to think that Getz didn't embellish that play yesterday. I don't mean to pick on Ducks' fans or Getzlaf but it's genuinely puzzling to me that people don't think he dove.

(This, btw, coming from someone who considers Getzlaf the third/fourth best center in the league and actually really likes him - calling a spade a spade though).

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I am sure Neal gives a ****.

Next game he will do it again. I care more about them coming down hard on him next time he tries to injure someone.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Isn't it one of his dives that had been voted the worst dive in the history of the league by an HF informal poll a while back? I guess it's appropriate that he's first.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
Seriously, add a couple zero's to that number and he will never do it again.

I'm sure the PA would be okay with a $200 000 fine :laugh: - There's not really much else the NHL can do...being identified as a diver should be embarrassing enough for Neal. I imagine that this fine will result in a lot of ribbing from opposition players (almost as much as Giroux touching that cop's ass or Bernier not knowing who Nelson Mandela was).

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Are people still arguing that he didn't dive? He literally got a penalty for diving. I'm not sure why people are getting so ******** over it, the guy dove.

He's taken dives in the past:

Phil Kessel has taken "dives" in the past:

Nazem Kadri has taken dives in the past:

The vast majority of players in the league have taken a few dives throughout their careers. I don't know how big of a homer you need to be to think that Getz didn't embellish that play yesterday. I don't mean to pick on Ducks' fans or Getzlaf but it's genuinely puzzling to me that people don't think he dove.

(This, btw, coming from someone who considers Getzlaf the third/fourth best center in the league and actually really likes him - calling a spade a spade though).

Getzlaf DID NOT dive or embellish. He lost his balance. The youtube video provides an angle that shows the viewers a diving motion without showing what happened to his left arm or left skate. People seeing that are quick to jump to a conclusion.

His left skate look at it (he loses an edge). His left arm look at it. He tries to balance himself as he is losing his balance. His right skate is moving faster than the left side of his body due to the collision.

His left arm is the clear item that proves there is NO embellishment or diving. If he was trying to dive he doesn't position it like that.

Things can look worse than they are. To you and many others this must look like embellishment.

It is clearly not but it looks like it.

phaneuf.gif

People would say "Look how high his feet are in the air. That is not normal. It is clear embellishment."

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
this is stupid, the rule is stupid

maybe the stick hit on his armstring and gave him aweful pain.

I know that from experience you try to spread the pain by reacting very quickly and increasing your blood flow. much like when you get hit in the ballzzzzz and you start jumping.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
this is stupid, the rule is stupid

maybe the stick hit on his armstring and gave him aweful pain.

I know that from experience you try to spread the pain by reacting very quickly and increasing your blood flow. much like when you get hit in the ballzzzzz and you start jumping.

I've had a stick hit my armstring too. Hurts like a motha.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Hey Neal, I know you make around $60,000 per NHL regular season game but were gona fine you $2000!

One of those is brutto, one is netto. Not saying the disproportion gets drastically lower, but this comparison just doesnt make much sense.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it's pretty obvious that the league doesn't think diving is a problem at all. It really ought to be suspendable

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
The NHL should announce it as the "Dustin Brown Honorary Fine for Diving".

There it is...surprised it took that long. When was the last time anyone heard about Brown diving? Guy has cleaned up his act 2 seasons ago but uniformed HFer's who dont watch the Kings still get a kick out of it.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad