Waived: James Neal | Clears

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It's the supposed $7-8 AAV into his 30's that's scaring everyone.

Its safer to assume NO players age gracefully into their mid-30's than predicting the 3-4 who actually do.

Nuge will get worse each passing year from this point on. Is he worth $7-8m AAV now? And will he be when he's a 25 point depth player.

Why would you ever expect him to be a 25 point guy? Even an 8 year deal will expire when he’s 35. Horcoff isn’t the worst comp style wise and he only went from being a ~50 point guy to a 30 point guy and still was managing that pace at 36

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
My vote is keep nuge. He is one of the few players that can play defense for either McDavid or Drai and put up ppg numbers while doing so.

The amount of players we keep seeing can't do that with McDavid keeps raising. And if we ever find another one the Hopkins drai yam line was the best in the nhl and then they broke it up to have nuge try to spark / protect McDavid defensively.

Just keep him.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It's the supposed $7-8 AAV into his 30's that's scaring everyone.

Its safer to assume NO players age gracefully into their mid-30's than predicting the 3-4 who actually do.

Nuge will get worse each passing year from this point on. Is he worth $7-8m AAV now? And will he be when he's a 25 point depth player.
Will he get worse tho ? Whenever he is given tho go ahead to score he gets better while still being decent at defense, they move him to whichever line needs a boost between drais or McDavids .

If he wants to leave to a team that will give him wingers that work with him that's fair but I think the oilers should try to keep him

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
the more I think about it the less I am inclined to want the oilers to resign nuge unless it is for same as what he is making now

given this season - a contract year - RNH certainly seems less than impressive - got to think there is better use for that money

In all honesty, nuge should be traded this season. He's such a vanilla player it's astounding. He plays with McDavid, yet he only has 11 points on the year, most of them coming off the power play. I know we will only get rental value, but it's better than the coming contract woes he will bring if he stays.

All you guys panicking to run Nuge out of town are ridiculous. That line has an unreal 57% Fenwick and is dominating all scoring chance stats. The thing is that line is shooting 4% and we should all know that won't last. If the team lets Nuge walk they will regret it big time. Early that line had no chemistry, especially with Kassian, but I think lately they've been dominating and pucks just aren't going in. Nuge isn't on that line just for scoring but for defense too. Why can't we have nice things? The top 6 isn't the issue and it sure as f*** isn't Nuge but sure lets run a 10 year Oiler out of town based on the early goings of a season with no preseason because his line is snakebit. Like come on guys you'd think all of you would have learned from last seasons failed and ridiculous witch hunt. Always trying to run good players in this town... Arnott... Petry... ect... It gets old.

I've been preaching sign Nuge for so long and I'm shocked that I am knee jerking in agreement to trade him.

His play has been so... uninspiring. I know he is streaky at times but it's just dragging on and while I know he is still playing well I expect more.

Especially in a contract year, playing with McDavid, and getting insane PP time as well. He should be ppg. He should be better 5v5.

He looks replaceable. He hasn't accepted Holland's offer and imo should have had that done prior to the season.

With the way things are I would rather trade Nuge for some great assets or a lesser player with term than just potentially let him walk for nothing post season.

Edit: Nurse is another full year away from his contract and playing well enough I give a sizable chunk of what I had planned for Nuge without a second thought right now.

Reactions: gordonhught

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If a player gets bought out and signs with another team seems to me he makes more money. Sekera for example.

Sekera ends up the same off financially, just has a bit of the money moved down the road a little.

2019-20 and 2020-21 he was supposed to make $9 million $4.5M x 2.

He ends up making $3 million total for those two seasons from the Stars. $1.5M x 2. Plus $6 million from the Oilers. $1.5 million by four. Only difference is the last $3 million is paid out a little later than it would have been under his Oilers contract.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No. Pissing away first round draft picks is not the way to go. The Oilers last eight first round draft picks are the present and future of this team.

Nurse/Draisaitl/McDavid/Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Bouchard/Broberg/Holloway

With Bouchard and Puljujarvi's emergence this season it looks like eight solid first round picks in a row. McDavid was obviously a no-brainer, but all the rest of turned out pretty well with Puljujarvi being the reason I wouldn't say eight excellent picks in a row.

Neal's contract is bad, but not worth trading a first round pick to get rid of.

Plus in a flat cap world you have to consider the cost to keep Neal vs the cost to buy him out and sign another player . I believe Neal buy out is 1.9 million . So in a flat cap can we sign a better player for 3.85 million x4 years . The length of Neal’s buy out .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I've been preaching sign Nuge for so long and I'm shocked that I am knee jerking in agreement to trade him.

His play has been so... uninspiring. I know he is streaky at times but it's just dragging on and while I know he is still playing well I expect more.

Especially in a contract year, playing with McDavid, and getting insane PP time as well. He should be ppg. He should be better 5v5.

He looks replaceable. He hasn't accepted Holland's offer and imo should have had that done prior to the season.

With the way things are I would rather trade Nuge for some great assets or a lesser player with term than just potentially let him walk for nothing post season.

Edit: Nurse is another full year away from his contract and playing well enough I give a sizable chunk of what I had planned for Nuge without a second thought right now.

I also want RNH back at around 6.5 . I wanted Nurse traded . Nurse play has completely change by my mind . Keep Nurse move RNH for a top 6 winger that brings speed and energy to the line up . A LW in the Yamamoto mold

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Call me crazy, but the way we are playing right now even with Neal.... we are playing very well. We have beat Toronto twice, beat a good Canadiens team. I know this can quickly be erased if we lose a bunch in a row, but dare I say..... this team has figured things out and looks very good especially with Smith performing at a high level his last two starts.

Reactions: shoop

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
My vote is keep nuge. He is one of the few players that can play defense for either McDavid or Drai and put up ppg numbers while doing so.

The amount of players we keep seeing can't do that with McDavid keeps raising. And if we ever find another one the Hopkins drai yam line was the best in the nhl and then they broke it up to have nuge try to spark / protect McDavid defensively.

Just keep him.
I hear you, but what certainty do you have that nuge does not turn into turris in a year or two?

nuge is 27, a 7 year contract takes him to 34

his level of play has been diminishing

he would be the oilers Johanson

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Just keep him.
Saying "Just keep him" is rather simplistic and naive. Of course, it's going to depend on the numbers if you decide to go that route. If he asks for 9 million, are you going to just "keep him?"

Reactions: Drivesaitl

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Would try to give Seattle some sweetener to take him. Worked out well for Vegas, he's a well liked guy. Gonna be slim pickings from our team anyways, Seattle may as well take a bonus pick or mid-range prospect to bring on a vet.
I’d give Seattle Caleb Jones to draft Neal. With Lagesson, Broberg, Samorukov coming, something’s gotta give on the port side anyway.

Reactions: oobga

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Yes, nobody wants to run the Nuge out of town because top 6 guys are almost impossible to replace but the question is at what price do you say "sorry, can't do it."

I have posted a few times about what the revenue situation looks like now and into the near future. I'm amazed that in reading the main stream press articles that there is virtually no discussion of this topic.

Does post virus hockey attendance bounce back with a vengeance like the Dow and the S&P 500 indexes have or does it have a U shaped recovery that takes a decade? No one knows the answer.

Billionaire owners aren't panicking but they won't operate at a loss forever. Ultimately, if it is warranted, a new agreement will have to be reached and that means some degree of caution looking to the intermediate and long term cap future.

My guess is that Nuge resigns with a small raise on a 3-4 year contract but of course its just speculation on my part.

Reactions: Aerchon

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Saying "Just keep him" is rather simplistic and naive. Of course, it's going to depend on the numbers if you decide to go that route. If he asks for 9 million, are you going to just "keep him?"
Nah you keep him at 7 . If he wants nine maybe some team takes him but most likely he comes back at 7

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I’d give Seattle Caleb Jones to draft Neal. With Lagesson, Broberg, Samorukov coming, something’s gotta give on the port side anyway.
They are taking broberg , Bouchard or the first to even consider taking Neal

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

If Lagesson continues to impress, and we protect him in the 8 skater draft model, Seattle would be able to just select Jones without taking on any extra baggage.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Oct 15, 2017
I'm on the fence with RNH. Before it was keep him no matter what, so I've moved quite a bit. You could spend a bit less and get a legit a natural winger and shooter on the LW for McDavid. I like having someone with some jam and like the idea of Tyler Bertuzzi. He hits plays hard and would cost a lot less than Nuge. Back to back 20 goals seasons and a shite team, he could hit 30 with MCD. Have some grease which Oilers lack, he would be a big part of BOA.

Spend the rest of the money on finding a effing goalie.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm on the fence with RNH. Before it was keep him no matter what, so I've moved quite a bit. You could spend a bit less and get a legit a natural winger and shooter on the LW for McDavid. I like having someone with some jam and like the idea of Tyler Bertuzzi. He hits plays hard and would cost a lot less than Nuge. Back to back 20 goals seasons and a shite team, he could hit 30 with MCD. Have some grease which Oilers lack, he would be a big part of BOA.

Bertuzzi will cost you significant assets and will probably get $5.5-6.5M on a long term deal. I've watched him since his first year in the OHL and have always loved the way he played the game. But if you think he will come cheap I'd bet you might be disappointed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

They will have the cash for that #1 goalie once Koskinen's contract runs out after next year. What an anchor that has been.

Oct 15, 2017
Bertuzzi will cost you significant assets and will probably get $5.5-6.5M on a long term deal. I've watched him since his first year in the OHL and have always loved the way he played the game. But if you think he will come cheap I'd bet you might be disappointed.

I don't think k he will be cheap but given covid I could see him being over 2 million cheaper than RNH, which is significant. He would be worth spending some assets but there are other players out there. I would just prefer they spend and get very good younger players than risk Ufas. Holland drafted him just an idea, I could understand the hesitancy after the last Detroit trade he made. Seems like Mantha might be available too

Next summer is the YEAR! They have the capspace, 3 years Into a gm and coach who can finally make the team theirs.

Sign nuge if they want, a goalie is by far most important piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad