Injury Report: Jalen Chatfield expected to be out 'for a little while' with upper-body injury

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So Ghost-Cogs for a bit?
please-no-no.gif

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
^Good to hear.

We were "chattin' about Chatty" last night at the game. My buddy proposed locking him up in the offseason. It's a calculated risk, the kind of thing the Borg likes to swing on.

Do you think offering $3M per year for 4 years would make sense? It's a pretty good deal for Chat to take the money based on a very short body of work. The upside for the Canes is it's possible he is a top 4 defenseman if we give him the opportunity. It could be plausible for the Canes to lose one of Pesce/Skjei, slot Chat up, and give the saved money to help keep the other guy.

The move would put a longer hold on the possibility of Morrow / Nikishin joining the top 4, but I'd rather let that become a good problem to have if they earn it. They're far from earning it right now.

I wasn't sure what the $$ would be for Chat. $3M/yr is steep for the player he is today and I think that might be the cost of doing business early. I do think this year he has played like a $3M player, at least on the third pair.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It's a full season's worth of work at this point, and he just keeps getting better. Don't think that's too big a swing at all. If we could get him at $3m long term I might even go longer.

Reactions: hockeynjune

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad