Player Discussion Jake Virtanen | Jake It Or Break It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jollof Rice Junkie

Apr 2, 2018
Loved sifting through thjs thread before I joined the forum. No canuck has divided our fan base like JV.

For me JV's future ceiling is an Adam Deadmarsh type of player. He gave the those Avalanche teams a swashbuckler type, fast, powerful and reckless af. I can't wait for his first playoff game on home ice

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Did anyone else see JV pull away from McDavid on that breakaway?.....just how fast is this kid?....does he even have another gear as he matures?....Jake's last 20 games may be one of the best news stories this team had in another lost season.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
To jump on that takeaway stat

Jake leads the team with 51 takeaways this season. The next closest is Edler with 31

However he's also second on the team in forwards with most giveaways with 32 (Danny leads forwards with 37)

Definitely an interesting player, with some frustrations, but he can be a fun player to watch at times

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think he made progress this year. He no longer looks like a guy who was destined to be out of hockey in a year or two. He now looks like he could carve out a 400-500 game career as a bottom-6 energy guy. sweet

let's hope appearances continue to be deceiving.

Dr Always Right

The Ruiner
Oct 26, 2017
Victoria
Anyone got a clip of JV blazing by Mcdavid in OT??

ShGrHtZ.gif

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
let's hope appearances continue to be deceiving.

It does seem that many posters are deceived by Jake's skating. They see him steaming through the middle of the ice in OT and they get visions of another Pavel Bure. When I first watched him in Calgary it's definitely the part of his game I first noticed. I thought he had the potential to be a great zone entry player. The problem, of course, is that he has little idea of where to skate with the puck or what to do with it, and he's kinda just barely in control of it when it's on his stick.

Jake's definitely skating pretty fast in the clip right above my post. The part I notice is that McDavid ends up pretty easily lifting Jake's stick and changes his shooting angle, forcing him to put a weak attempt right into the goalie's pads.

Jake had a couple breakaways in previous games this week. He created both with great bursts of speed. Both times he made a lame five hole move that the goalie easily stopped. This was a bit of a change from some other chances he's created with his speed, the ones where he wires a wrist shot two feet over the crossbar.

Anyway I'm done posting about Jake, I'm sorry I posted today. I fully admit I have a grudge against him, because in addition to being a huge, huge disappointment as a player he also comes across as a lazy, entitled, morning skate-skipping shithead. He also plays fortnite?? It's a game for babies. Whatever, I hope he proves me wrong! I really do.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It does seem that many posters are deceived by Jake's skating. They see him steaming through the middle of the ice in OT and they get visions of another Pavel Bure. When I first watched him in Calgary it's definitely the part of his game I first noticed. I thought he had the potential to be a great zone entry player. The problem, of course, is that he has little idea of where to skate with the puck or what to do with it, and he's kinda just barely in control of it when it's on his stick.

Jake's definitely skating pretty fast in the clip right above my post. The part I notice is that McDavid ends up pretty easily lifting Jake's stick and changes his shooting angle, forcing him to put a weak attempt right into the goalie's pads.

Jake had a couple breakaways in previous games this week. He created both with great bursts of speed. Both times he made a lame five hole move that the goalie easily stopped. This was a bit of a change from some other chances he's created with his speed, the ones where he wires a wrist shot two feet over the crossbar.

Anyway I'm done posting about Jake, I'm sorry I posted today. I fully admit I have a grudge against him, because in addition to being a huge, huge disappointment as a player he also comes across as a lazy, entitled, morning skate-skipping ****head. He also plays fortnite?? It's a game for babies. Whatever, I hope he proves me wrong! I really do.

What is "fortnite"?

Reactions: timbermen

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
That was nuts. I mean I get mcdavid was at the end of a shift but it's still impressive

A very long shift as well, McDavid was out there for over a minute at that point. Not to take anything away from Virtanen's speed, but just being honest. Regardless McDavid can turn on the jets at the drop of a hat, Virtanen has sick top end speed but he can't just take off. At full speed Virtanen is going to go head to head with McDavid but at a stand still McDavid will leave him in the dust, which is fine because McDavid will do that to everyone else as well.

Reactions: sunnyvale420

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Jake can turn into a Grabner type of player, he will be effective on PK, chip in 20+ goals during his peak, and add speed. He can be an elite 3rd liner

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If he gets the time and the line-mates, I think he threatens to double his point total next year.

If he takes a step forward from where he is now (not where he was in the first half of the season) he could easily put up double if not a bit more

I think Jake can turn into a Grabner type of player, he will be effective on PK, chip in 20+ goals during his peak, and add speed. He can be an elite 3rd liner

I think he can turn into much more than that if his shoulder is healed and he takes being a professional athlete seriously. Based on his development before this season I was hoping he could turn into a 3rd liner at the very least, but towards the end of the year he seemed to make a significant step towards a 2nd line player. Lots of low hockey IQ players score 25-30+ when they have the tools Virtanen does. His attitude is one of his biggest problems and I think he's growing up a bit.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
It's almost like he took a long look at himself in the mirror after the Twitch streamer debacle, which is fine by me

What Twitch streamer debacle?

I also genuinely think the Sedins leaving may have made something click. Fans of Vancouver giving them that send off and even the rest of the league/media finally acknowledging them is something to be jealous of if you're an athlete. Choosing to lounge around and have a middling career or working towards becoming a player the city will remember (though not on the Sedins' level) shouldn't be a hard decision to make. Especially when he didn't even light up the AHL. I'd rather be remembered like Bieksa than Shane O'Brien.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
If he takes a step forward from where he is now (not where he was in the first half of the season) he could easily put up double if not a bit more

I think he can turn into much more than that if his shoulder is healed and he takes being a professional athlete seriously. Based on his development before this season I was hoping he could turn into a 3rd liner at the very least, but towards the end of the year he seemed to make a significant step towards a 2nd line player. Lots of low hockey IQ players score 25-30+ when they have the tools Virtanen does. His attitude is one of his biggest problems and I think he's growing up a bit.

I'm not sure about him as a 2nd line player where he will have to develop some chemistry with his linemates in order for the line to succeed, especially in the playoffs where the checking gets tighter. I like him more as a third liner that can drive the offense without needing to play off his linemates. He's been impressive on rushes, but when the puck is being cycled in the offensive zone, he is still struggling figuring out where to be or how to use his linemates effectively.

I see him as an elite third line player who's going to up his game in the playoffs, like a Jannik Hansen or a Joel Ward. Players like that are still valuable nonetheless.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I'm not sure about him as a 2nd line player where he will have to develop some chemistry with his linemates in order for the line to succeed, especially in the playoffs where the checking gets tighter. I like him more as a third liner that can drive the offense without needing to play off his linemates. He's been impressive on rushes, but when the puck is being cycled in the offensive zone, he is still struggling figuring out where to be or how to use his linemates effectively.

I see him as an elite third line player who's going to up his game in the playoffs, like a Jannik Hansen or a Joel Ward. Players like that are still valuable nonetheless.

I don't mean he's a 2nd liner now, it's just he has the potential for it. Booth, Lucic and others who aren't the smartest hockey players were more than 3rd liners. Even Kesler was criticized before for not using his linemates effectively.

When we drafted him I figured he was a pretty safe bet to be a 3rd liner with the potential to be a higher end 2RW. Based on his development it's less likely for him to achieve the latter but the past month or two have raised the odds a little bit. Virtanen is the epitome of all the tools with no toolbox. It's unlikely he'll develop a toolbox but he might be able to remember where he put them.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’m still hoping for a 20 goal, 40-50 point power forward that can be a major factor in taking over a playoff series.

I’d consider that to be a 2nd liner more than a 3rd because of the rarity of those types of players, but either way. If he can do that it’s something to get excited about.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

"Easily"? Really? And when did he hurt his shoulder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad