Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If he keeps maturing to the point tonight's game is his standard, then those early season main board posts won't be out of line.

Straight up dominant.
They were never out of line imo. The people questioning the deal had zero idea what they were talking about

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Jake's play literally makes Chabot look obsolete on this roster... he's so quick, shifty, decisive and has tremendous hockey IQ. So happy we have him locked up.
The main thing is he plays with pace. He never stops moving and is always looking to drive forward. Chabot prefers to stand around and wait for the puck to go in our net.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
They were never out of line imo. The people questioning the deal had zero idea what they were talking about
The contract was always fine. Maybe I am not remembering correctly but I thought there were some other claims.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
A good audition to the rest of the country last night. He sure had the panel talking.

Not feeling him on PP1, tho. Chychrun should get that chance now.
I've liked the 2-defenseman powerplays we've seen the past couple games. They've deployed Chabot-Chychrun and Sanderson-Brannstrom, but any mix there can work.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
A good audition to the rest of the country last night. He sure had the panel talking.

I think long-term he is still the guy to play on PP1. He's still learning to pick his spots and developing his shot. The best PP's have a point guy who can SKATE and is agile enough to bobble the puck at the blueline. Chabot and Chych are too slow in my opinion for the role.

Truthfully Chabot should never be quarterbacking a PP. Way too casual.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If (when?) he improves his shooting he'll easily score 20 (and more) per year.

He's still feeling things out offensively, Love how much he is shooting the puck recently. 41 shots in 14 games this month is a good step. It's a sign of how involved he is on the attack, little more work on getting in better spots and I think pucks will find the net more frequently though I'm not confident he is who will be much of a threat to score 20.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

He is by far the best on the team at keeping pucks in the offensive zone (ie - keeping pucks in on clear attempts, bad passes, or when he is pressured) -- for that reason alone I think he belongs on PP1, he moves the puck around as good as anyone, the only thing he gives up to Chychrun is the scoring touch (for now)

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Sanderson is by far the best defenceman we have.

I would try to balance his time on the PP with his time on the PK. As great as he will become offensively we need his defense even more.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
The main thing is he plays with pace. He never stops moving and is always looking to drive forward. Chabot prefers to stand around and wait for the puck to go in our net.
I call it decisive actions. Everything Sanderson does is quick, hard and with intent.

I feel like Chabot too often outwaits his options and ends up cornered. When he stutters or tries to hesitate, it's pretty easy to anticipate for a defender and that's when he turns over the puck or makes a soft play.

On the PP it's night and day difference Sanderson >> Chabot.

I don't know if DJ/previous staff ruined his development but I can say with confidence that Chabot hasn't really improved in any category over the last 3-4 years. His progress as a player seems stalled whereas Sanderson, sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I get amazed sometimes how often Sanderson wins puck battles. Brady goes in on the forecheck and using his size can ward off defenders and control the puck along the boards. Jake goes back on a dump in and gets pinned with the puck against the boards in a scrum and yet somehow he skates out with the puck. Same as Brady just using a completely different skill to do it. Combined with Stu's slipperiness it should grow into a formidable array of skills together

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
So since Chabot has become obsolete and Chychrun basically can't play defense, we will again be down to just one top1 defenseman with a bunch of AHLers?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
maybe it will be a good learning opportunity.

if you're a real good team you shouldn't be thrown off course by a few injuries. the structure should remain.

thank god we have martin and alfredsson to instill this lesson into them now.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
maybe it will be a good learning opportunity.

if you're a real good team you shouldn't be thrown off course by a few injuries. the structure should remain.

thank god we have martin and alfredsson to instill this lesson into them now.

By the game metrics, Hamonic was the worst Senator on the ice Saturday.

It's only a matter of time until that costs us a game

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad