Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I would rather the Sanderson from last year who had less points instead of the turnover machine of this year. Less is more with Jake.
Last year he played with no pressure and on natural instincts. This year he's playing DJ hockey.

He's also getting abused with TOI. First half of last year played 15-23 min, when the season was over and we were eliminated, his minutes got bumped to 25-30. Started high again this year and Jacques has pulled him back to around 20. NHL rookie playing f***ing 30 min a game when the season is over is the dumbest thing.

This happened with Chabot too. Got too much ice time, gets burnt out, and sees poorer quality of play.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Image shows his giveaways being pretty consistent year to year
I figured that was the point, except this year his turnovers are much more costly. Last year, I would venture to say half of his turnovers where the types that he recovered and took the puck back. This year they are turning into scoring chances and goals

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I figured that was the point, except this year his turnovers are much more costly. Last year, I would venture to say half of his turnovers where the types that he recovered and took the puck back. This year they are turning into scoring chances and goals
Perhaps, over on money puck, you can single out DZ giveays, he has 14 this year and 38 last year, so he's pacing a touch lower in the DZ per game, despite playing more mins, but there isn't a way to really quantify how bad his giveaways were/are. Idk that I agree or disagree this year's have been worse, might be a bit of recency bias at play, certainly losing so much helps colour opinions on performance. Certainly more goals are getting scored with him on the ice this year vs last.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Perhaps, over on money puck, you can single out DZ giveays, he has 14 this year and 38 last year, so he's pacing a touch lower in the DZ per game, despite playing more mins, but there isn't a way to really quantify how bad his giveaways were/are. Idk that I agree or disagree this year's have been worse, might be a bit of recency bias at play, certainly losing so much helps colour opinions on performance. Certainly more goals are getting scored with him on the ice this year vs last.
Just by the eye test, it seems to me he started this season as an all-star, then his play regressed. So in average it could be that he's similar to last year, but the second half of this year seems below his level from last year.

Reactions: coladin and NyQuil

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just by the eye test, it seems to me he started this season as an all-star, then his play regressed. So in average it could be that he's similar to last year, but the second half of this year seems below his level from last year.
I think having Chabot in the lineup opened up ice for him, with Chabot out, more rested on his shoulders. Maybe we'll see him get his groove back now that Chabot is healthy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Sens are only a -7 goal differential, which is nuts for a 14-20 team.

Still nice to see Sandy staying a plus player against tough matchups I'm a season where everything has been going in their net it seems.
That's a minus 7 with a terrible pp and league worst PK too, at ES we're a plus 4 somehow.

Reactions: Dionysus

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Eye test. You're so old school. Everything about hockey can be understood by looking up some stat/60.

Seriously though, I agree with you. As this slide has become worse, Jake seems to be trying to do more and more but regardless of how good you are, that doesn't work in the NHL. It's not a do it yourself league.

That's a minus 7 with a terrible pp and league worst PK too, at ES we're a plus 4 somehow.
A plus 4 with crappy goaltending

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Eye test. You're so old school. Everything about hockey can be understood by looking up some stat/60.

Seriously though, I agree with you. As this slide has become worse, Jake seems to be trying to do more and more but regardless of how good you are, that doesn't work in the NHL. It's not a do it yourself league.

A plus 4 with crappy goaltending
And Zub hasn’t been the same since returning from injury. Another player who had a great start and injuries derailed his season

Reactions: DrEasy

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Also think he’s having a bit of a sophomore slump. Which is kind of hilarious given he’s on pace for almost 50 points. So excited to see where he’s at in a year or two.

Reactions: SensontheRush

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's worth noting that in spite of people being disappointed with his play, Sanderson is still:

Getting the toughest deployment on the team,
On pace for 48 pts without being on the top unit pp
Our top penalty killer

Not bad for a disappointing season.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Sanderson, Chabot, Chych even Stutzle and Brady makes me realize we underrated EK.

27 minutes of carrying the team every night with results.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's worth noting that in spite of people being disappointed with his play, Sanderson is still:

Our top penalty killer

I agree with your points, except he’s been on the number one PP more than Chabby, as Chabby has only played 12 games.

Reactions: bicboi64

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Our top penalty killer

He's 5th in PPTOI/GP, though. That's 1st unit time.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad