Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
More documentation would be better, but it's still pretty clear what is going on in his model.

Nobody is treating statistical models as on par with direct observation, and let's not act like direct observation in this context is anything scientific. NHL teams directly observed Panarin not getting drafted. They also directly observed drafting Yakupov first overall.
Well keep me posted if I ever say any of those words you put in my mouth.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To be fairer still, I don't think data scientist modelling geeks can sit in front of a computer and develop models with the ability to accurately project the future of teenagers.
I think "data scientist modelling geeks" can provide useful inputs to those responsible for making draft picks and trades. Scouts can do the "eye tests" and subjective forecasts too. I consider both useful inputs. It would be interesting to compare the results of each.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think "data scientist modelling geeks" can provide useful inputs to those responsible for making draft picks and trades. Scouts can do the "eye tests" and subjective forecasts too. I consider both useful inputs. It would be interesting to compare the results of each.
Perhaps I'm jaded. I've worked with quite a few so called data scientist s, some educated to the PhD level, but I haven't worked with one that contextually understood what they were trying to analyze

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Perhaps I'm jaded. I've worked with quite a few so called data scientist s, some educated to the PhD level, but I haven't worked with one that contextually understood what they were trying to analyze

So they were not hockey fans then. :)

Reactions: JD1

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I remember reading the Bill James baseball Abstract book, the 1986 version I think,. It was a very interesting read.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Not saying that understanding the subject is irrelevant, but if you're trying to show something through data you don't necessarily need to know the nuances. It could lead to bias.

For hockey, the data required isn't quite there to make solid predictions. Everything you see with your eyes could theoretically be quantified with data, but much of it is too complex to measure

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I remember reading the Bill James baseball Abstract book, the 1986 version I think,. It was a very interesting read.

Yes but baseball is not hockey. Baseball is all independent events while hockey is all interdependent events. You can separate out the impact of your teammates in baseball. In hockey how do you make a statistical model for linemates who are always on the ice together?

Assen na yo!

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not saying that understanding the subject is irrelevant, but if you're trying to show something through data you don't necessarily need to know the nuances. It could lead to bias.

For hockey, the data required isn't quite there to make solid predictions. Everything you see with your eyes could theoretically be quantified with data, but much of it is too complex to measure
From a data science view, ok, maybe. But data is not much use if you don't understand what data to compile, whether it's useful, how to use it etc.

Do you watch the game last night. Did you see the short handed 2 on 1 that Brown had with Formenton I think. That's a clear cut 2 on 1 with no back pressure. That's a grade A opportunity to score. But Brown being Brown, he lost the puck trying to pass it, basically buried it into a sliding D man. And that play is representative of what's wrong with data science in a hockey world.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes but baseball is not hockey. Baseball is all independent events while hockey is all interdependent events. You can separate out the impact of your teammates in baseball. In hockey how do you make a statistical model for linemates who are always on the ice together?

Assen na yo!

I agree hockey is more complicated to track versus baseball. I expect hockey analytics to improve with time and adoption of computerized tracking systems.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Honestly, I think that aside from skating (both speed and agility) the highest metric a player can possess is the ability to send/receive a pass. If you track a player's ability to pass, receive and manage the puck, you'd be about 90% there in terms of scouting. The game is so quick at the NHL level that any tiny bobble of the puck basically kills the play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Assen na yo!
I don't really follow it much, but apparently analytics in Basketball has been very effective. They do a much better job of capturing data though. Once Hockey analytics ditches the RTS that are poorly tracked and get the more robust tracking they do in basketball (obviously tougher to track a puck than a basketball) I think you'll see to big steps forward in how accurately things can be predicted.

Reactions: DrEasy

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I don't really follow it much, but apparently analytics in Basketball has been very effective. They do a much better job of capturing data though. Once Hockey analytics ditches the RTS that are poorly tracked and get the more robust tracking they do in basketball (obviously tougher to track a puck than a basketball) I think you'll see to big steps forward in how accurately things can be predicted.

I don't follow basketball much either but I'm guessing that their use of analytics has led players to try for 3 pointers more often and things like that. That makes sense because sinking a basket is a much more independent event than trying to beat a goalie.

Assen na yo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't follow basketball much either but I'm guessing that their use of analytics has led players to try for 3 pointers more often and things like that. That makes sense because sinking a basket is a much more independent event than trying to beat a goalie.

Assen na yo.
certainly possible, and that's one of the bigger impacts I'm aware of, but I think it goes well beyond just that. I know there's a lot of stuff on pass completion percentages and stuff like that that has apparently been beneficial, it breaks down whether the jump shot was contested or not, so you can adapt how much pressure you put on a given player based on their personal aptitude, whether they're more effective moving one way vs the other ect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad