Prospect Info: Jake Guentzel | C/LW | Sioux City (USHL) | 3rd Round, 77th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
As expected, once we learned more about this keep, more of us have become cautiously optimistic.

But not me. Not until I hear he can grow a Hanowski-like beard.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Good shout by TenderRip on suggesting grabbing Bjorkstrand. Interesting to see that his skating was a little bit of a concern, wonder if that's down to him improving it or it just being underrated.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
His hockey IQ and his shot is why he works so well with Sid. Both of those were well known strengths of his. He just needs to make sure he doesn't get clocked too often.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
who the hell is kurtis gabriel

requesting OG guentzel's biggest fan status

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Shero is slowly destroying the team. Can anyone here make an argument that team has improved the past five years. It will be a slow slide to the bottom. This is 1998 redux.

Not very happy about this pick.

Not skilled enough to be that small.

Typical Shero.

AMERICA! **** YEAH!

And Shero's quest of assembling the smallest team ever continues. 156lbs? Really Ray? lol

You obviously have posts like these... ^^^ :laugh:

As a Dane, I really had my hopes up for Oliver Bjorkstrand with this pick. Anyway.... crapshoot and I have no idea about Guentzel. Just think Bjorkstrand will be rather a steal.

And even better choice would likely have been Anton Slepyshev, and I also had Lipon and Bogdan Yakimov as interesting names for this stage of the draft. They all went after Guentzel in the third round.

Then again, us drafting non-North Americans is always a surprise, so that's that. But this is the only pick I will be pre-*****ing about a little this year :).

then you have this type of post, which is why I love trusting guys like Burgs and many of our prospect guys.

Not a terrible pick. Maybe we have the next Johnny hockey in our hands:sarcasm:

The pens must think they found the next Johnny Gaudreau.

This kid even outscored him in the samt league with 1 point, so he must be better, right? Theyre about the same height as well!
too bad Gaudreau is like 1 in a 1000 :(

This kid does sound very talented, had the choice to go to Minnesota if he wanted.

Let's see what he looks like in 4 years.

And then these...which I love. :yo: And I miss WVP. Great poster. Haven't seen him around in a long long time. :(

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The pens must think they found the next Johnny Gaudreau.

This kid even outscored him in the samt league with 1 point, so he must be better, right? Theyre about the same height as well!
too bad Gaudreau is like 1 in a 1000 :(

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a_clink_large.jpg

best part of the thread for sure

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The patience/vision of Guentzel is very Johnny Hockey like. But Johnny Hockey has that shifty ability that is unreal. Very similar to Patty Kane. Ultra shifty and dodges everything. Hopefully Guentzel gets there because umm... he runs into brick walls at times. :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Guentzel pick does illustrate why focusing on skill is always a good thing, though. I can't remember the study but I remember reading a few years ago that the Canucks would have been better off if they'd just drafted the guys who scored the most points in juniors rather than the picks they ended up making.

And wow, how good is this kid gonna end up being? He was on pace for something like 60 points over 82. I think health may continue to be a concern since he's so tiny but he is pretty smart and doesn't seem to get beat up too badly in the corners so hopefully he can mostly stay healthy. I think Sheary will struggle more with staying healthy because his style is a bit more in your face than Jake who plays a more cerebral style.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Among all rookies who played more than 10 games, Guentzel finished with both the 3rd highest points-per-game and the 3rd highest goals-per-game, behind Laine and Matthews.

Stupid tiny college Shero pick.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Man, how spot-on was this report from that firstroundbust website? Describes his effectiveness to a T:

He is a decent skater, but uses his burst of speed and quickness to catch defenders flat footed; he is so adept at using deception- whether it be skating or in his puck skills- to his advantage. I cannot emphasize enough just how good his hockey sense is; I saw it last season at the High School level and in the Elite League (where he and Justin Kloos dominated play), but this season was a pretty special display.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In my defense, the only thing I complained about was his size. Little did I know that the league would shift from the LA Kings model to one of speed/skill. :laugh:

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
these posts are hilarious

"I guess Shero thinks he found the next Johnny Gaudreau huh"

well yeah ABOUT THAT

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The scouting reports on him were spot on. Especially the one that talked about how good he is around the net. Wouldn't expect someone his size to be so good down low.

Thanks Shero.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
thats what i dont get. we've just seen the bruins with a big, tough team sweep us.

why not take a chance on a big kid like KURTIS GABRIEL who was taken a few picks later. im no draftnik but it seems the kid can throw them pretty good and (im assuming) since he was drafted in the 3rd round can play a little bit

Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad