Prospect Info: Jake Guentzel | C/LW | Sioux City (USHL) | 3rd Round, 77th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Jake-Guentzel1.jpg

Date of Birth: October 6, 1994
Place of Birth: Omaha, Nebraska
Size: 5'9", 152 lbs
Shoots: Left

2012-13 stats: 29-44-73, 24 PIM, +13 (60 gp)

The reigning USHL Rookie of the Year and 2nd Team All-Star, topscorer on the mediocre Sioux City (Iowa) Musketeers by a 32 points margin. Committed to Nebraska-Omaha next season where he will play with Josh Archibald. Comes from a college hockey family - his father played at Minnesota where he still coaches, his older brothers went to Notre Dame and Colorado College.

Profiles:
Randy Sexton said:
"Jake’s a smaller player now. His brothers and his father are both over six foot, so we certainly believe he’s going to grow and every indication is that he will grow. We see this kid as certainly a middle-six forward that can generate some offense and play both sides of the puck. He was the rookie of the year in the USHL, he’s going to Nebraska-Omaha in the fall. He’s smart, he’s skilled, he’s gritty." (link)

MNHockeyProspects.com said:
Jake Guentzel is a student of the game as he has the highest hockey IQ among Minnesotans eligible for the 2013 NHL Draft. The University of Nebraska-Omaha recruit demonstrated his great awareness on a nightly basis as he was able to create offense when very little time and space was given. Guentzel was the leading scorer for Sioux City, amassing 73 points in 60 contests. Guentzel was selected as the USHL forward of the week on three occasions and was honored as the USHL rookie of the year for 2012-2013 season.

Guentzel is very creative around the net as his approach is unpredictable, not tipping whether he is passing or shooting. His shot is very deceptive as he releases it from many different angles and with great accuracy. Guentzel demonstrates soft hands with an ability to receive passes cleanly and distribute with equal effectiveness. Guentzel is a good skater and possesses excellent acceleration. Guentzel’s biggest flaw is his size (5’9,150) and his inability to play a physical style game

Guentzel has the skill-set that makes him a very intriguing prospect, but he must add strength to compete at the next level. Guentzel is considered a long term project but should payoff to a franchise looking for elite talent. (link)

FirstRoundBust.com said:
On a bad team, he had a decent first half of the season, but he really kicked into high gear after the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game. He finished the season on a 21 game, 43 point scoring streak; and it wasn't just fluky stuff- Guentzel was purely sensational. Not the biggest, or the fastest, or the strongest, he succeeded in all three zones by being the smartest player out there; his hockey sense is high, high end.

Possessing tremendous vision and anticipation, he also showed a nice two-way game too; breaking up plays on the backcheck, supporting his D down low and along the walls, stealing pucks. He is a decent skater, but uses his burst of speed and quickness to catch defenders flat footed; he is so adept at using deception- whether it be skating or in his puck skills- to his advantage. I cannot emphasize enough just how good his hockey sense is. (link)

Last edited:

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Am I the only one that thinks the scouts only notice players cause they play on the team of a player already drafted. I mean cant we ever go scout players on teams that don't already have a drafted Pen on it?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
He's always going to be smaller than Kennedy most likely but hopefully more skilled at this level, if he ever gets here. He definitely has better hands than Kennedy.

Hopefully he grows an inch or two in college, puts on a good 30 lbs over four years. That's the only way he makes it out of the AHL. Even at 5'9", he's a beanpole pretty much. Maybe better that he not grow an inch and just put on the lbs. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's tiny. Apparently the whole "NHL playoffs means a lot of clutching and grabbing, making it difficult for small skilled guys to do anything" didn't affect the Pens' drafting strategy at all.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Possessing tremendous vision and anticipation, he also showed a nice two-way game too; breaking up plays on the backcheck, supporting his D down low and along the walls, stealing pucks. For being such a physically immature player (I've heard from number of people that his older brothers hit late growth spurts too, and frankly its bound to come because Guenztel looks like he's 14) he was simply in a league of his own.

He is a decent skater, but uses his burst of speed and quickness to catch defenders flat footed; he is so adept at using deception- whether it be skating or in his puck skills- to his advantage. I cannot emphasize enough just how good his hockey sense is; I saw it last season at the High School level and in the Elite League (where he and Justin Kloos dominated play), but this season was a pretty special display.

http://www.firstroundbust.com/2013/06/nhldraft2013-candidates-for-46-jake.html

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Maybe this was an AHL pick? I don't know. Hard to imagine any scout seeing this kid as NHL material given his size. Then again, the late growth spurt thing could help. How big are his brothers?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I wouldn't worry about his grit. Have you seen his hometown? Dude's survived a zombie apocalypse, he must be tough.

But seriously, definitely a bit of a reach by the Pens. Guentzel was ranked 80th for North American skaters. But with no picks until 119th...

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh Penguins ✔ @penguins
Guentzel's dad Mike is associate coach at Minnesota & Paul Martin is "1 of my dad's favorite players." Jake said he really looks up to Paul.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
He's tiny. Apparently the whole "NHL playoffs means a lot of clutching and grabbing, making it difficult for small skilled guys to do anything" didn't affect the Pens' drafting strategy at all.

Its not about the Playoffs, that's just gravy, its all about the regular season. Sell those tickets, get those sell outs.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh Penguins ✔ @penguins
Since he is smaller, Guentzel said "I have to use my hockey sense quicker and faster. I feel like it helps me out a lot." #Pens

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Am I the only one that thinks the scouts only notice players cause they play on the team of a player already drafted. I mean cant we ever go scout players on teams that don't already have a drafted Pen on it?

What other Penguins draft pick plays for Sioux City?

Maybe this was an AHL pick? I don't know. Hard to imagine any scout seeing this kid as NHL material given his size. Then again, the late growth spurt thing could help. How big are his brothers?

This isn't 2001.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I've learned something the last two or three years watching the draft. Most of the time, the draft sucks.

:laugh:

Not because of who we pick but because it's a bunch of 18 year old kids and it takes years to find out what will happen with them, and generally because it's boring as hell (the TV part).

I think I will cease and desist this behavior. It is not a prudent use of my summer minutes.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
I've learned something the last two or three years watching the draft. Most of the time, the draft sucks.

Not because of who we pick but because it's a bunch of 18 year old kids and it takes years to find out what will happen with them, and generally because it's boring as hell (the TV part).

I think I will cease and desist this behavior. It is not a prudent use of my summer minutes.

yeah its not really fun and I spent most of day checking up on it. Best part is watching other players get traded for picks, but the actual picks kind of boring.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

$$

its not like the NFL where we get to see the guys that upcoming year

Trepanated

Jan 11, 2007
Not because of who we pick but because it's a bunch of 18 year old kids

I agree, makes the threads just goofy and melodramatic.

and it takes years to find out what will happen with them

Oh, you meant the players are 18. Right. I thought you meant the HF people who freak out over every little thing.

No offense to any 18 year olds intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad