Jake Guentzel Appreciation Thread

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This one hurts. I can claim to be one of Guentzel's earlier fans (I loved the pick at the time) and seeing him come up, wear 'my' number, and help us win a Cup as a rookie was one of the most satisfying fan experiences of my life. Even if the Penguins haven't exactly lived up to expectations/hopes much since that last Cup, Jake has been a consistent high point on this team. He'll be greatly missed.

Reactions: wej20

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Jake is Hossa levels of well-rounded. No real flaws. A very rare low maintenance, high producing forward. Hockey IQ on the level of Sid. Forever a fan of his.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Jake is Hossa levels of well-rounded. No real flaws. A very rare low maintenance, high producing forward. Hockey IQ on the level of Sid. Forever a fan of his.
We will immediately feel the loss of all these things as we start to give Bunting 18+ mins every night

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean Jake was pure trash defensively but offensively I would agree, just a slight less skilled than Hossa. But that doesn't diminish who Jake was. To get 8 seasons of him, we're lucky to see a skilled winger like that drafted and developed by the Pens.

giphy.gif

We will immediately feel the loss of all these things as we start to give Bunting 18+ mins every night
Bunting will probably produce well for the Pens. Not Jake levels but well.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Having the best hands on a team with Crosby and Malkin is a helluva accomplishment. Great ability to articulate the puck and score, especially in close. He was small but would go where he had to go to score. Four goal game against the Flyers was legendary. Probably the best Pens forward ever, non-all-time legend division.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Having the best hands on a team with Crosby and Malkin is a helluva accomplishment. Great ability to articulate the puck and score, especially in close. He was small but would go where he had to go to score. Four goal game against the Flyers was legendary. Probably the best Pens forward ever, non-all-time legend division.
Agreed, except I'd put Tocchet and Stevens ahead of him in the non-all-time-legend division. Definitely the best in the salary cap era, though.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Agreed, except I'd put Tocchet and Stevens ahead of him in the non-all-time-legend division. Definitely the best in the salary cap era, though.
Ah yeah, hard to disagree on Artie. The way the game has evolved I can’t see a player ever scoring 50 goals and racking up 250 penalty minutes in a season ever again!

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I don't think Guentzel is quite on the level of Hossa, but frankly, he's not too far off. I saw someone in another thread compare him to Ray Whitney, which I think is also a pretty good comparison, but I would argue Guentzel is better than Whitney was.

In terms of his career as a Penguins winger - from the Mario era to present - I would only have him behind Jagr and Stevens. He's a ring of honor type player for sure.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I mean, for a brief shining moment (1990-1993), Artie was shaping up to be one of the best LWs ever. But '93 really derailed him.

I met him at the Jagr Gala and spoke to him for a bit. I asked him if he would be OK signing my jersey with Jagr about 15 feet away and Artie says, "You want my autograph!?!?!"

1993 I was 6 years old and his face hitting the ice broke my heart. I wore 25 my entire life because of him. I love guys that talk the talk and then walk the walk.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Jake will find without Sid his play will suffer. He is a liability as to D and it showed the last 2 years. Plus his injury history is not the kind that he will be back to 100%. He is a really good forward as to offense and thinks the game at a high level. His anticipation was key here. But I see a player that just was at the end looking for a payday and having his options to do so. He limited Dubas with not doing a sign and trade. He has every right to do so. But he was never serious about doing a deal here.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I will miss him, but I'm somewhat happy to see him go. He was a big part of 2017 and phenomenal in the playoffs, but I feel like the organization almost got too focused on building their attack around him and Rust.

What is disheartening is that if you had to choose who to trade, I'd rather Rust went vs Jake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad