Jake Guentzel Appreciation Thread

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It’s nice when you get these players and win with them. I had the same feelings about Staal - yea I loved the player but there’s no sense of missed opportunity.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Incredibly smart player, pens don't win in 2017 without him. But time to part ways. Good luck.
Agreed. He put up a Conn Smythe worthy performance in 2017. For that alone I will have fond memories of him and that would be the case even if he sucked every year after that. And he obviously didn't suck every year after that. He gave us a lot of productive seasons.

Moving him at this deadline was the right move though.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Most of my Jake memories just also trigger depression about the club - but at least there are some pinnacle moments like the 2017 cup. My goodness what a firecracker.

When we talk the Rangers' series and him bending them over - you also remember the Trouba Elbow.

When we talk about Philly, and Nashville - you remember that shit was seven years ago and many of those moves he hasn't made in at least 6 years.

Loved him as a Penguin. Probably doesn't make my top 5 all time Penguin list but not far off. I think anyone rational realized an 8 year deal was probably not worth our time but talk about a rock and a hard place.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
My favorite memory was when Jake absolutely torched the Flyers in the first round of the 2018 playoffs. One game IIRC he had four goals and was mic'd up, every time he scored he just began laughing hysterically. Guentzelsylvania 4 LIFE!!!

hfallontonight-jake-guentzel-most-likely-to-play-beavis-in-the-22592373.png

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I like the kid and everything but some fan base going to be very sorry in a few years if he gets anywhere near what’s rumored.

I’m confident we got what will end up being by far the best seasons of his career. But good luck to him.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Thanks for everything Jake, you were an awesome Penguins!! Unfortunately it's time to start thinking about this teams future, best of luck in Carolina!

Hey who knows, keep that phone open in July...

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I'm still weeping at the sad return for Jake. Ty Smith may also be the best prospect in the trade (the only 1st rounder). Its hard to believe this was the best offer on the table and it reeks of Dumbas still having his Bunting blinders on from TOR days. Bunting isn't even a .5pt/g player on a $4.5m/year contract and CAR is instantly better with him not on their team. He has negative value in the trade and takes too many penalties.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'm still weeping at the sad return for Jake. Ty Smith may also be the best prospect in the trade (the only 1st rounder). Its hard to believe this was the best offer on the table and it reeks of Dumbas still having his Bunting blinders on from TOR days. Bunting isn't even a .5pt/g player on a $4.5m/year contract and CAR is instantly better with him not on their team. He has negative value in the trade and takes too many penalties.

Ty Smith is not the best prospect in the trade. Bunting is scoring at 0.6 pt/g.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Ah...2017 playoffs. Who's this kid out of nowhere lighting it up? :)

Time isn't static, we all get older, and Jake is the 1st casualty of turning the page. If the Pens don't make the playoffs this year (lol), I'll be rooting for you!

Heck...not to mention if Carolina makes the finals, our 2nd rounder turns into a 1st rounder!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ty Smith is not the best prospect in the trade. Bunting is scoring at 0.6 pt/g.
Well, Bunting is useless to us though. We are not contending. Hopefully they ship him out and get more assets... or maybe they re-sign Guentzel and Bunting becomes a good 2nd liner for us :)

I honestly just hope they can unload a few more bodies and give the few prospects we have a shot to see what we have.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Couldn’t ask for more from a diamond in the rough 77th overall pick. It’s a shame we never got to see longer playoff runs after 2017. He and Sid were on pace for some incredible performances.

21 points in 12 games in 2018 and 10 pts in 7 against the Rags (8 goals)

Even still, Guentzel leaves us with some all-time playoff stats.

58gp 34g 24a. ~0.59 goals per game

Sits 39th all time in playoff points per game.

The only names in NHL history who sit above him in playoff goals per game:

-Mario
-Bossy
-Draisatl
-Maurice Richard
-Cam Neely
-McDavid
-Gretzky

HM: Pens legend Barry Pederson and Newsy Lalonde who has 12 gp.

That’s the list.

One of my all-time favorite players. Thank you, Jake. You played a massive part in solidifying the legacy of the Sid/Geno era Penguins.

Now re-sign in the summer?

Reactions: StaalForOne
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Well, Bunting is useless to us though. We are not contending. Hopefully they ship him out and get more assets... or maybe they re-sign Guentzel and Bunting becomes a good 2nd liner for us :)

I honestly just hope they can unload a few more bodies and give the few prospects we have a shot to see what we have.
Yea, we should be moving anything we can at this point, but I think most of the pieces we want out are immovable.

I'm pro trading Sid to Colorado, and only Colorado, but that won't happen, which is also fine. It would be nice to see him win another cup though

Good luck Jake in Carolina.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Snek was good and all but he was no Jansen Harkins, who else can get concussed 3 times in 3 straight games and keep bouncing back to play the next game? Dude is our Wille E. Coyote.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
f***ing jerk ...

I hope he goes to the finals and then comes back here on July 1 for a reasonable deal.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
f***ing jerk ...

I hope he goes to the finals and then comes back here on July 1 for a reasonable deal.
I don't. Jake's next deal has a huge chance of being terribly regretful towards the end of it. It is time to move on, for sure.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I don't. Jake's next deal has a huge chance of being terribly regretful towards the end of it. It is time to move on, for sure.

That's why I said "reasonable". Something like an NMC/NTC for 3 years where he's movable for the last 4. Should be preferable to BOTH sides.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad