Recalled/Assigned: Jake Gardiner to Marlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
I don't know why people are confused by this... He was out for quite awhile and needs conditioning. He played a couple games in the NHL and him or the coaches realized he needs a bit more time before he is playing at that speed.

OptimusReimer34

Jun 19, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I think he's played well with Phanuef, but IMO his decision making on the PP has been very poor.

Liles-Phaneuf should easily be the #1 unit.

This I can agree with...
Have you seen the amazing passes Kessel was giving him last night? Kostka either fanned on them or didn't shoot at all. He's horrible

This I don't. One game doesn't make a player especially since the whole team collapsed. Overall I think he's played good.

This article sort of fits what we have been discussing and why not trade him to us.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/01/25/pk_subban_montreal_canadiens_contract_negotiations/

Oh I didn't know that! well then here's hoping the leafs land him P.K.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Franson show casing? Nonis said he may be one of the first to go midway and to maximize assets he needs to be playing. It could be for other reasons but i think this definitely had some impact on the decision.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Have you seen the amazing passes Kessel was giving him last night? Kostka either fanned on them or didn't shoot at all. He's horrible
As I said earlier in the Kostka thread at least he got himself in position for Kessel to feed him those nice passes. Rather than cowering around the boards being unimaginative like some of his mates. The Leafs woes on the PP aren't all because Kostka is on it although his PP time certainly needs cutting back.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2013/01/25/20527221.html

TORONTO - The Maple Leafs want Jake Gardiner to re-discover his game.

And Gardiner, who made the NHL’s all-rookie team last season, will do it with the Toronto Marlies.

The Leafs on Friday afternoon sent the 22-year-old defenceman to their American Hockey League affiliate, this after Gardiner played in two games after returning from a concussion.

“It’s just about him finding his legs again,†Leafs vice-president of hockey operations Dave Poulin said. “He has to get comfortable. He was off for quite a long lapse.â€

Gardiner was hurt on Dec. 8 during a game with the Marlies and missed all of the Leafs’ practices in the abbreviated training camp. He played in Pittsburgh against the Penguins on Wednesday night and was in the lineup at home against the New York Islanders on Thursday night.

Poulin said there is no timetable for Gardiner’s return to the Leafs. Gardiner will be in the Marlies lineup on Saturday when they play host to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Gardiner’s demotion leaves the Leafs with seven defencemen: captain Dion Phaneuf, John-Michael Liles, Mike Kostka, Carl Gunnarsson, Cody Franson, Mike Komisarek and Mark Fraser.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
He's still pretty rusty. IMO that concussion is still effecting him but he could have easily been on the PP and limited ES time.

He'll be back in a few games.

Hpefully so for the Leafs.

The tought of having to play 3 of Komisarek, Franson, Kotska or Fraser is :eek: .

Last edited:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Hpefully so for the Leafs.

The tought of having to play 3 of Komisarek, Franson, Kotska or Fraser is :eek: .

We've won both games that Komisarek has played in. Kostka hasn't looked out of place 5 on 5.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
We've won both games that Komisarek has played in. Kostka hasn't looked out of place 5 on 5.

Plus/minus is a team statistic and should not be used to compare players on different teams.

The fact remains that he's the second worst Leafs D-man at -3, tied at 194th to 202nd out of 209.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Plus/minus is a team statistic and should not be used to compare players on different teams.

The fact remains that he's the second worst Leafs D-man at -3, tied at 194th to 202nd out of 209.

+/- is just a terrible indicator.

Phaneuf is -4 and so far his only bad game was the Islanders. He's played great against all the other three opponents.

I'm certain the 7-4 game has screwed up everybody's stats.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
And the poor kid only received one week of his $875K NHL salary.

In the AHL, he gets $65K.

Ah well, he earned something during the lock-out.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

What? You're contradicting yourself but knowingly? Not sure what you're trying to state. The last two pages of +/- is a disaster of star players.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Hopefully they don't keep him in the AHL for very long. I can imagine if he struggles they will keep him there for the full season like with Kadri.

They should have just let him practice to get back to speed.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yes, definitely strange that a Habs fan prefers the Leafs board over any other one. :laugh:

You just confirmed it: I AM BIPOLAR.

Oh well, it's either that or multiple personalities.

As I wrote on 3 or 4 different occasions, the Leafs Board is interesting and I'm dearly afraid of what I'll find on the Habs Board.

I prefer to keep my illusions, but with open eyes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad