Prospect Info: Jake Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
On that way, he is most definately worth a contract. Our depth suck. I would take a top 10 scorer in the NCAA even if history shows that in no way shape or form it means anything.....But he is most definately worth it.

I know what you mean though. In the highlights he just doesn't look special to me but I thought that about Lehkonen (besides his great shot) too. Though his skating looks better than some give him credit for. Or at least my impression from others observations of his skating.

I don't think he can be a top 6 guy. I'd be shocked if he could crack a top 6. Still a decent upgrade over Pleks for a 7th rounder would be quite welcome. I think he can manage that. Pleks is just so beyond done.

Habs178

Sep 22, 2007
Ontario
Man we’re gonna sign this guy...maybe....and make him learn his position on the wing. Let’s be serious here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What is the incentive for an NHL team to draft a NCAA player?

The get exposed to playing against older players at 18/19 as there are some 22/23/24 year olds. You get 4 years to sign them as long as they go directly to the NCAA, if not you can get longer as long as they don't use the loophole but it's not like a lot have done that although I never understood why the NHLPA wanted to keep that loophole open since they can just wait a year to they graduate and opt not to sign and become a UFA by August 15th.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The get exposed to playing against older players at 18/19 as there are some 22/23/24 year olds. You get 4 years to sign them as long as they go directly to the NCAA, if not you can get longer as long as they don't use the loophole but it's not like a lot have done that although I never understood why the NHLPA wanted to keep that loophole open since they can just wait a year to they graduate and opt not to sign and become a UFA by August 15th.
The loophole is being used more and more

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
How many in the last couple of years. Vesey, Butcher, Wheeler, Kerfoot. That's just out of my head without doing any research. Pretty good players too.

The downside is better players have more incentive to use the loophole. They don’t have to play it safe.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How many in the last couple of years. Vesey, Butcher, Wheeler, Kerfoot. That's just out of my head without doing any research. Pretty good players too.

There is a lot of mix up as to which is the loophole in the media and with fans. The loophole is for any players that don't go directly to the NCAA. If you draft a kid out of the USHL, USHS, etc.. and the next year they don't go to the NCAA, then after their 3rd year they can inform the team that drafted them that they will not sign with them and instead are opting to become a UFA on July 1st. If said player goes directly to the NCAA they can not do this, but what they can do is after their Senior year they can refuse to sign and become a UFA on August 15th.

Wheeler is the only one you named that actually used the loophole. Mike Reilly is another, drafted by jackets, after his Junior year he signed with the Wild. Justin Schultz is another drafted by the Ducks, left after his Junior year to sign with the Oilers.

Vesey and Butcher weren't even eligible for the loophole. Kerfoot was. For the Habs, Jake Evans wasn't eligible, neither is Primeau, Koberstein, or Poehling. Hawkey is eligible at the end of this season.

Now many people call it a loophole because after their Senior year if said player refuses to sign they can become a UFA but to me that's not really a loophole. CHL players can opt not to sign as well just like Euro players, the difference with CHL players is age, if they do it they might still be young enough to re-enter the draft.

Here's an article on it from THN, they call it a loophole as well but I don't agree with it but still a decent read on the subject and how it's not used much.

NHL doesn't have an NCAA 'loophole' problem, it's just business as usual | The Hockey News

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Anyone watch the davos vs canada game today? Did he get much ice and how did he look? The website isnt very useful

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I started watching the game today and he never saw the ice in the first ten minutes..didn't bother watching the rest as there was WJC to watch.

Reactions: KKWG11

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
If Habs cab give a contract to Audette, they will surely give one to Bitten, a way better player overall.

I am scared that Evans will decide to wait in August and sign with another team.
We need to get him signed and on the ice with the Habs as soon as his season in Notre Dame is done.

Promise him some top six NHL minutes so he doesn't just go elsewhere this summer.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We need to get him signed and on the ice with the Habs as soon as his season in Notre Dame is done.

Promise him some top six NHL minutes so he doesn't just go elsewhere this summer.

Why promise him something you won't be able to deliver on? Be honest with him. If he chooses to sign elsewhere, at least you were honest with him because if you lie, he signs, and don't deliver on those promises, it will reflect badly on the organization.

And then try explaining to some of Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Danault, Lehkonen, Hudon, Shaw, and Gallagher why this kid is given Top-6 minutes instead of them.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Why promise him something you won't be able to deliver on? Be honest with him. If he chooses to sign elsewhere, at least you were honest with him because if you lie, he signs, and don't deliver on those promises, it will reflect badly on the organization.

And then try explaining to some of Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Danault, Lehkonen, Hudon, Shaw, and Gallagher why this kid is given Top-6 minutes instead of them.
We can absolutely promise him top six this year and deliver on it.

I'm not saying he has to stay there, but the team isn't scoring (and I doubt that much changes between now and the time his season is over). We can definitely try Evans in the top six (and PP?) for a bit to see how he does in those situations.

Not saying to guarantee that he'll play in the top six for his entire contract or anything.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

"Hey, we are the only team in the league without someone scoring 30 points. Don't like it? Produce."

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
"Hey, we are the only team in the league without someone scoring 30 points. Don't like it? Produce."

download.php

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Use our leverage. The kid can play in the NHL this year, no other team can offer that. Assuming things stay the same, the Habs should be looking to make some moves imo so a spot in the top 9 should be there, all they have to do is tell him sign and you will play in the NHL this year, that should be enough.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Use our leverage. The kid can play in the NHL this year, no other team can offer that. Assuming things stay the same, the Habs should be looking to make some moves imo so a spot in the top 9 should be there, all they have to do is tell him sign and you will play in the NHL this year, that should be enough.

He can replace the hole left by trading Plex and start on the 4th line while we promote, DLR or hudon to the 3rd. Heck, if he's good enough, use him on the 3rd line.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Except for Shaw and Gallagher, all you have to do is show them their stats and the team's spot in the standings.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The biggest incentives to signing are burning a year of the ELC and getting a couple of weeks of NHL pay.

I would think the Habs lack of talent at C is appealing to someone like Evans who is not a sure thing as a prospect.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
if the season is lost, he might as well be on the 3rd line, if that's what it takes to make sure he signs.

I completely agree. Get it done.

Truth of the matter is I'd be shocked if he didnt' sign here. Montreal has shown him love the entire time, we drafted him, showed interest and kept in constant touch with him. Add the fact that where else can a centre be more appreciated and have a better shot at cracking the lineup than in Montreal. You competition is effectively Danault and Drouin (who isn't a centre). If you can't make it at centre in Montreal, you're not going to make it anywhere.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad