Player Discussion Jake Evans (Part II)

Montreals Forum

Oct 27, 2020
Of course, if he's ready. but that's a big if.

And I don't want him missing time getting top minutes in Laval to play 8 minutes a night on the 4th line in the NHL.

I agree. The kid needs more seasoning in the AHL, and his floor isn't going to be a 4th line center.

TBH, I have a bit of concern when it comes to Poehling, as he needs to at least match what Evans did in the AHL to mean anything.
5 goals in 36 ahl games was quite sobering. 13 points in 36 ahl games, and were critical about Koktaniemi's ppg in the ahl.

Poehling needs to have a strong year leading the Rocket somewhere.
Last year was terrible for him. He needs a good bounce back year... he could give a strong performance and prove to be in the running for a 3rd line role next season...

But I dont understand the reasoning of hoping he leap frogs another developing centerman, who has proven more to this point in his career and legitimately earned the spot, and will be better with experience.

Jake Evans is a young 24 year old... 2 years out of leading Notre Dame as Captain. The kids best days are clearly ahead of him.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
For me his most redeeming quality is his speed. It was really apparent on the PK against the Oilers. I think Evans is a perfect 4th line centre and could develop in the next year or two into a 3rd line centre. It is comforting to know we have such depth at a position we were so short for the longest time.

Even if Danault walks....

Suzuki
KK
Evans
Poehling

or if we trade KK+ for PLD

Suzuki
PLD
Evans
Poehling

Keeping Danault in either of those scenarios pushes Evans to fourth line and Poehling to AHL or somewhere on our left wing. Our future is so bright.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree. The kid needs more seasoning in the AHL, and his floor isn't going to be a 4th line center.

TBH, I have a bit of concern when it comes to Poehling, as he needs to at least match what Evans did in the AHL to mean anything.
5 goals in 36 ahl games was quite sobering. 13 points in 36 ahl games, and were critical about Koktaniemi's ppg in the ahl.

Poehling needs to have a strong year leading the Rocket somewhere.
Last year was terrible for him. He needs a good bounce back year... he could give a strong performance and prove to be in the running for a 3rd line role next season...

But I dont understand the reasoning of hoping he leap frogs another developing centerman, who has proven more to this point in his career and legitimately earned the spot, and will be better with experience.

Jake Evans is a young 24 year old... 2 years out of leading Notre Dame as Captain. The kids best days are clearly ahead of him.

This may make you feel not so down: Poehling's production last year, his first in the AHL, was better than Josh Anderson's his first year in the AHL, at the exact same age as Poehling was last year.

Anderson said how much work it took him to become the player he is. Hopefully Poehking puts in the work. I would be over the moon if he becomes a Josh Anderson like power forward winger. He has size and speed, and some skill and hockey sense. He just needs to put his down and work on the details of his game and forget about being in the NHL or AHL. Just get your game up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For me his most redeeming quality is his speed. It was really apparent on the PK against the Oilers. I think Evans is a perfect 4th line centre and could develop in the next year or two into a 3rd line centre. It is comforting to know we have such depth at a position we were so short for the longest time.

Even if Danault walks....

Suzuki
KK
Evans
Poehling

or if we trade KK+ for PLD

Suzuki
PLD
Evans
Poehling

Keeping Danault in either of those scenarios pushes Evans to fourth line and Poehling to AHL or somewhere on our left wing. Our future is so bright.

Poehling looks more like a winger to me at this point, though it's possible he could still figure out how to be a center at the NHL level. But I wouldn't count on it.

Also, Evans still has to prove he could be a 3c

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Poehling looks more like a winger to me at this point, though it's possible he could still figure out how to be a center at the NHL level. But I wouldn't count on it.

He also needs to prove he can be a #4C

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
There's a part of me that doesn't want Evans to break out this year.

Because if he does, we may lose him in the expansion draft.

No reason for Seattle to pick Evans when Chariot and Edmundson will be available

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

You may be right about Evans being able to play up in the lineup,he's showing a lot of growth and improvement.He has more shots than PD and that line has looked very good the last 2 games.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i'm not worried about the FO's, his biggest problem imo is still the lower body strength, but the best news is that he looks faster and that is what I felt might keep him out of the NHL in previous years as clearly the NHL has shifted over the last bunch of years to a speed game so it's tougher on slower players. Not saying you have to be Byron out there but for slower players that don't have high end skill or say big overly physical role players it's more of an up hill battle. But players with his smarts tend to make it.

He's the text book definition of how you want to see a not top 50 pick develop, every year from his draft to now he's shown progression and that's huge imo.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I tought he would be a dime a dozen player but i was completely wrong. He might be the guy who will convince MB not to give Danault that pricey extension.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1