Player Discussion: Jake Bean discussion

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Curious to see what CBJ fans think of Bean's value with you guys being up on the cap. I imagine after you send down a cuple guys you'll be cap complient, so there's no urgency to clear cap until Jenner and Texier are back.

The Jackets are already several million below the cap, including with Tex and Jens. They dumped Bjorkstrand instead of Bean. Yes, really.

Are we looking at negative value or would Jackets be looking to unload others before him like Gavrikov. This is assuming you don't want to pay the price to rid of Nyquvist

As a LHD that can play the right side and is mostly a defensive defenseman, Bean would fit exactly what Sens need, without the price tag of Chychrun. Obviously a downgrade but Bean still has room to grow into a 2nd pairing guy.

Jake Bean isn't a defensive defenseman, currently. You'd be just as well off trying Brannstrom as a shutdown D. Yes, really.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Nope, he will play 2nd line. We have wingers available but the extras will be in the AHL. Thanks for stopping by
Really, If he comes to camp looking like the same player that ended last season I see him in a battle for third pairing time. Based on the current personnel I think its still (1) Z-Peeke, (2) Gavrikov-Boqvist and then Blanks, Gudbranson and Bean in some mix of 5-6-7.

We are $2 million over the cap right now assuming Marchenko makes the team. Once Gaunce and Meyer go down we are about $500K over. Assuming Boone and Tex are ready to go, we still need to shed two forwards to be roster compliant. Either a trade is coming or some kids starting the season in Cleveland (Chinny and KJ perhaps). Either way that will make us cap compliant by $1-$2 million.

I would not be shocked if Jarmo tries to move Bean who seems like the most expendable d-man that hopefully doesn't have negative trade value if it means more cap flexibility in-season. But I'd expect a move in camp when another team suffers an injury they can't fill internally. Obviously if we suffer a long term injury in camp all bets are off but right now I think Bean could definitely be in play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Really, If he comes to camp looking like the same player that ended last season I see him in a battle for third pairing time. Based on the current personnel I think its still (1) Z-Peeke, (2) Gavrikov-Boqvist and then Blanks, Gudbranson and Bean in some mix of 5-6-7.

We are $2 million over the cap right now assuming Marchenko makes the team. Once Gaunce and Meyer go down we are about $500K over. Assuming Boone and Tex are ready to go, we still need to shed two forwards to be roster compliant. Either a trade is coming or some kids starting the season in Cleveland (Chinny and KJ perhaps). Either way that will make us cap compliant by $1-$2 million.

I would not be shocked if Jarmo tries to move Bean who seems like the most expendable d-man that hopefully doesn't have negative trade value if it means more cap flexibility in-season. But I'd expect a move in camp when another team suffers an injury they can't fill internally. Obviously if we suffer a long term injury in camp all bets are off but right now I think Bean could definitely be in play.

By my count (and Porty's), we're three million under the cap with a 22 man roster. You could move Bean to save money or make roster room for someone else but it isn't a cap issue anymore.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
By my count (and Porty's), we're three million under the cap with a 22 man roster. You could move Bean to save money or make roster room for someone else but it isn't a cap issue anymore.
Porty uses CapFriendly and so do I. Check for yourself but I think the numbers I gave are pretty accurate.

I know I am mostly repeating myself (revised my numbers from above because I forgot about Bayreuther as an 8th d-man and Tarasov as a 3rd goalie). It means we are under the cap...split somewhere between your number and mine.

We have 28 NHL contracts (14 forwards, 8 d-men, 3 goalies, plus two more spots for Boone and Tex listed on IR and Marchenko). We are currently $960K over the cap which includes Boone and Tex but not Marchenko's $925K. So ~$1.9 million over assuming Marchenko makes the team. Bemmer counts as a roster spot but no money attached.

That's 17 forwards so we need to move at least three plus a d-man and a goalie. Assume Meyer, Gaunce, Bayreuther and Tarasov go down. That trims ~$3.25 Million and four players from roster. We are then ~$1.4 Million under the cap with 15 forwards.

Still need to shed one roster forward and need to account for whatever the heck to do with Bemmer. Assuming Boone and Tex are ready for camp, there isn't much cap flexibility...less than makes me comfortable going into the season.

I guess if we simply let Bemmer walk then we are roster compliant and $1.4 Million under the cap to start the season.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Porty uses CapFriendly and so do I. Check for yourself but I think the numbers I gave are pretty accurate.

I know I am mostly repeating myself (revised my numbers from above because I forgot about Bayreuther as an 8th d-man and Tarasov as a 3rd goalie). It means we are under the cap...split somewhere between your number and mine.

We have 28 NHL contracts (14 forwards, 8 d-men, 3 goalies, plus two more spots for Boone and Tex listed on IR and Marchenko). We are currently $960K over the cap which includes Boone and Tex but not Marchenko's $925K. So ~$1.9 million over assuming Marchenko makes the team. Bemmer counts as a roster spot but no money attached.

That's 17 forwards so we need to move at least three plus a d-man and a goalie. Assume Meyer, Gaunce, Bayreuther and Tarasov go down. That trims ~$3.25 Million and four players from roster. We are then ~$1.4 Million under the cap with 15 forwards.

Still need to shed one roster forward and need to account for whatever the heck to do with Bemmer. Assuming Boone and Tex are ready for camp, there isn't much cap flexibility...less than makes me comfortable going into the season.

I guess if we simply let Bemmer walk then we are roster compliant and $1.4 Million under the cap to start the season.

I did check for myself, I was reading off my capfriendly roster when I replied to you. I think we come to the same numbers - you have our roster at $1.3m under with 15 forwards. I had 13 forwards and $3m under, which I think is just sending Chinny and one more guy down. Porty got to $3.8m in cap space on a 22 man roster, and I'm not sure exactly how. Maybe it was because he sent KJ down and I didn't? In either case we got space.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Curious to see what CBJ fans think of Bean's value with you guys being up on the cap. I imagine after you send down a cuple guys you'll be cap complient, so there's no urgency to clear cap until Jenner and Texier are back.

Are we looking at negative value or would Jackets be looking to unload others before him like Gavrikov. This is assuming you don't want to pay the price to rid of Nyquvist

As a LHD that can play the right side and is mostly a defensive defenseman, Bean would fit exactly what Sens need, without the price tag of Chychrun. Obviously a downgrade but Bean still has room to grow into a 2nd pairing guy.

He is not, “mostly a defensive defenseman”. You could or should consider him a “2 way” defenseman, but, I’d say he’s better used in a more offensive role and on the PP, than he is used or seen as a “defensive defenseman”.

Many (not all) CBJ fans DO NOT value Bean correctly, and see Gavrikov as undeservedly (much) better. He seems to possibly be the most underrated CBJ player currently, imo. He’s been used as a common example of a player the team could or should “dump”, which I find ridiculous.

I don’t think he should be on a top pair yet, or that Werenski is the right type of partner for him, but, he seems to be the best option (along with Gudbranson, imo) to play on our top pairing next year, as he was last year. I see him as a good #4 with a strong chance to move up to being a legit #2-3 two-way defenseman.

Like almost all our other defenseman, his “reads” are a step slow, and so is his literal acceleration. The CBJ have a huge hole on their top pairing. Given his age and “two way potential”, you would think most fans would rather keep Bean over Gavrikov. I also just don’t see how people are looking at Peeke or Boqvist as a better option anywhere in the lineup at anytime down the line, over Bean. (other than Boqvist on the PP)

Reactions: Viqsi and VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He is not, “mostly a defensive defenseman”. You could or should consider him a “2 way” defenseman, but, I’d say he’s better used in a more offensive role and on the PP, than he is used or seen as a “defensive defenseman”.

Many (not all) CBJ fans DO NOT value Bean correctly, and see Gavrikov as undeservedly (much) better. He seems to possibly be the most underrated CBJ player currently, imo. He’s been used as a common example of a player the team could or should “dump”, which I find ridiculous.

I don’t think he should be on a top pair yet, or that Werenski is the right type of partner for him, but, he seems to be the best option (along with Gudbranson, imo) to play on our top pairing next year, as he was last year. I see him as a good #4 with a strong chance to move up to being a legit #2-3 two-way defenseman.

Like almost all our other defenseman, his “reads” are a step slow, and so is his literal acceleration. The CBJ have a huge hole on their top pairing. Given his age and “two way potential”, you would think most fans would rather keep Bean over Gavrikov. I also just don’t see how people are looking at Peeke or Boqvist as a better option anywhere in the lineup at anytime down the line, over Bean. (other than Boqvist on the PP)
Boqvist has a great shot, but he can't pass as well as Bean (I'm thinking of PP, of course). Jake needs to be stronger, if he can, Gavrikov can be traded. Because defense isn't just hits while losing battles with stronger players, it's also stick work, using skating to move a player off trajectory so he can't find the perfect spot for a shot/pass.

Reactions: thebus88

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
@thebus88 @VT Could you please do me a favor and point (with timestamps) some of the "Gavrikov sucks" and "Bean is underrated" moments on the video below you two have been talking about? I, among many others, still don't quite understand what you're exactly referring to with these type of posts.

This is NSH-CBJ from November. You can pick another full game video on yt instead of this one in case you feel their performance in this game wasn't the best example of their "normal" level of play. I chose this because based on the first 10 minutes Gavrikov-Bean is one of the Jackets D pairs, so you don't have to spend as much time trying to find each shift of either player.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
20220731_08_16_55.jpg

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
@thebus88 @VT Could you please do me a favor and point (with timestamps) some of the "Gavrikov sucks" and "Bean is underrated" moments on the video below you two have been talking about? I, among many others, still don't quite understand what you're exactly referring to with these type of posts.

This is NSH-CBJ from November. You can pick another full game video on yt instead of this one in case you feel their performance in this game wasn't the best example of their "normal" level of play. I chose this because based on the first 10 minutes Gavrikov-Bean is one of the Jackets D pairs, so you don't have to spend as much time trying to find each shift of either player.

Gonna be really hard to “hype up” Bean in any way though pointing out (“TEXTBOOK”) plays during a game that already happened, with people seeing (or NOT seeing) what they apparently see during the games. All I hear/see is that he needs to get stronger to not get outmuscled on the ice.

Searching my game thread post history here is 1, where people of course wanted to blame Savard. Here is a perfect example of Gavrikov showing off his apparent strengths, “boxing out” and “tying up” a player in front.

To pile on “the gang”, PLEASE go ahead and notice DET focusing on tipping/deflecting shots from the point. Merzlikins gets EXCUSED for every deflection goal, when it should be seen as a NEGATIVE. It happens OFTEN because teams look to do it, because he is WEAK at it.

Look at the location (and subsequently how wide open the other guy on the point is) of “defensive stalwart” Patty Laine, when the puck goes in…

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Reality is that he’s really an offensive minded defenseman and he just was voted the best AHL defenseman 3 years ago.

His offensive ability and overall mobility is on a completely different tier than Gavrikov or Peeke. Why would the team go out of their way to acquire him so recently if he wasn’t apart of their future plans?? Why does age play a factor and younger age seen as a plus in almost any argument besides Bean vs Gavrikov??

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Gonna be really hard to “hype up” Bean in any way though pointing out plays during a game that already happened, with people seeing (or NOT seeing) what they apparently see during the games. All I hear/see is that he needs to get stronger to not get outmuscled on the ice.

Searching my game thread post history here is 1, where people of course wanted to blame Savard. Here is a perfect example of Gavrikov showing off his apparent strengths, “boxing out” and “tying up” a player in front.

To pile on “the gang”, PLEASE go ahead and notice DET focusing on tipping/deflecting shots from the point. Merzlikins gets EXCUSED for every deflection goal, when it should be seen as a NEGATIVE. It happens OFTEN because teams look to do it, because he is WEAK at it.

Look at the location (and subsequently how wide open the other guy on the point is) of “defensive stalwart” Patty Laine, when the puck goes in…

I am not sure if you are for real or are you just pretending to be a guy with one track mind.

On that clip, yeah, Savard totally missed his guy, though that guy was not the one who scored. Gavrikov at least *tried* to do the right thing, but it turns out he didn't use enough force this time. And yeah, Laine did leave way too much room to the point on the second attempt, which I suppose is somehow deeply related to Jake Bean being better than eg. Gavrikov according to you.

Edit: and pretty please: there is absolutely nothing goalie can do in case of deflection couple of meters in front of him. There is no way a human can react to that.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Once again, Elvis Merzlikins shows off his ability on a few goals, while Kuraly and Gavrikov wait until the last couple minutes to show of their defensive awareness

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Unfortunately, moments how Gavrikov losing battles at the boards aren't in the high-lights. Aso, how a tough player gets pushed out in front of the goalie. And because playing is much harder and faster in PO.... . I'm not a Gavrikov's hater, I know he's a very, very good person. But if he doesn't improve his physical game, his max is 5-6 defenseman. But he still has time.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I am not sure if you are for real or are you just pretending to be a guy with one track mind.

On that clip, yeah, Savard totally missed his guy, though that guy was not the one who scored. Gavrikov at least *tried* to do the right thing, but it turns out he didn't use enough force this time. And yeah, Laine did leave way too much room to the point on the second attempt, which I suppose is somehow deeply related to Jake Bean being better than eg. Gavrikov according to you.

I’m giving that guy literally what he asked for and you can’t handle it.

Players are given credit for things or things are seen as their strengths, and I’m showing they actually have ISSUES in these areas.

Some of you love to say I’m wrong about something, while literally admitting that what I posted was “factual” or “correct”. Laine’s play on that goal is just an example of something some of you claim he doesn’t do. All 3 forward are ALL OVER the place. Actually, all 5 players are.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Gonna be really hard to “hype up” Bean in any way though pointing out plays during a game that already happened, with people seeing (or NOT seeing) what they apparently see during the games. All I hear/see is that he needs to get stronger to not get outmuscled on the ice.

I might ask what Bjorkie was doing. But the fact is that playing your player like that in front of the goalie is just nonsense for a "defensive and tough" player.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I’m giving that guy literally what he asked for and you can’t handle it.

Players are given credit for things or things are seen as their strengths, and I’m showing they actually have ISSUES in these areas.

Some of you love to say I’m wrong about something, while literally admitting that what I posted was “factual” or “correct”. Laine’s play on that goal is just an example of something some of you claim he doesn’t do. All 3 forward are ALL OVER the place.
No, you didn't. He was asking for moments of "Gavrikov sucks" and "Bean shines", but instead you provided a clip where you piled crap on the only 2 out of 6 that didn't really fail their job, Gavrikov & Elvis. It's like you didn't watch your own clip at all. Oh yes, you found out Laine was also playing bad on that clip, as it was completely related to the subject in hand: Jake Bean (and other D like Gavrikov).

Sometimes it's enough that you shove your guy 1+ meter off their position like Gavrikov did, but sometimes they are strong or lucky enough to make the deflection nevertheless. And that happened.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Wait, did you say it's hard to prove a point via a game in the past but turn around and post a game tape to support what you are saying? Talk about your double standards

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wait, did you say it's hard to prove a point via a game in the past but turn around and post a game tape to support what you are saying? Talk about your double standards
Ok so no time stamps from that game like they asked for but we did get the same old soliloquy that we get every day

So you guys want me to evaluate the gameplay of a single selected game, and point out the individual plays where Bean and Gavrikov makes a “good” or “bad” play?? Ok, give me a sec.

My point regarding Bean is it’s hard to hype him up by showing him playing “textbook defense”, if you think the other defenseman involved in the debate do these things JUST as good, or better. Showing instances where they don’t do the things they get credit for is outlandish??

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
So you guys want me to evaluate the gameplay of a single selected game, and point out the individual plays where Bean and Gavrikov makes a “good” or “bad” play?? Ok, give me a sec.

My point regarding Bean is it’s hard to hype him up by showing him playing “textbook defense”, if you think the other defenseman involved in the debate do these things JUST as good, or better. Showing instances where they don’t do the things they get credit for is outlandish??
No, you chastised the guy for posting 1 game tape, then turn around and do similar that supports your side...that isn't how things work...thats hypocrisy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad