Value of: Jake Allen

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Well, you guys would know better than me. All I do know is that Hutton looked like he was going to have a special season all year and for him to only have 25 starts doesn’t make sense to me. I guess with Allen signed long term and Hutton headed to UFA, they really wanted to get Allen going somehow. It’s just a shame because you have such a good goalie on the roster. I’m a Hawks fan and don’t even have Hutton anymore but am still rooting for him to come back, get the Blues into the playoffs and go on a run as the starter there because I think he’s earned it.

I agree I think Hutton deserved more starts. There have been at least 5 games in the past 2 1/2 months, when Hutton was healthy and hot, Yeo started Allen and it didn't really make any sense. I was more referring to the Allen being ass all year. He by no means has been good but they team in front of him, combined with his knack for letting in untimely softies, has led him/the team to a poor record when he was getting starts for a decent stretch. The guy also can't catch a break, not that he does anything to help create them. For most of the season, he's been in this odd situation where any time he plays well, the team can't score or the team lights it up on the scoreboard and he let's in debilitating goals within a minute or two of the team scoring/taking the lead.

Essentially, Allen has been the same goalie he's been basically his whole career. He's an extremely athletic goalie that can stand on his head for stretches but other stretches where it looks like he was replaced by Darren Pang in net. The only concerning thing is that his tail spin this year, while not as bad as last year's, has lasted substantially longer. I am by no means an Allen apologist, but the team has let him down this year equally as much as he has let them down.

Reactions: El Cohiba

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
In 2014, Allen took the net and ran with in from March until his collapse against Minny.

In 2015/2016, Allen played at All-Star level until he got hurt in Jan. ‘16 when he came back Elliott solidified his spot in the net.

In 2017, Shortly after Yeo took over for Hitch, Allen’s play became great like the rest of the team. He had the best goaltending series performance in the organization’s modern history.

This year his gameplay trended downwards with the teams overall play. Team is playing better and he is looking better-ish. But still having problems with his puck tracking and save selection.

After last season it was reported that Hitch’s screaming at Allen from the bench after weak goals had its emotional toll. IDK, how much that actually had an impact on Allen. He is an athletic goalie that overcommits on certain scenarios. Then he ends up overreading (predicting) plays which puts him out of position. He is best when he plays deep in his net and moves around less.

He honestly flat out does not mesh well with the Blues defensive structure. I have said it in the Blues sub-forum that I would trade Allen for Darling. Teams swap goalies with same term and similar cap hit. Allen is a few years younger as well. Hope the change is good for both teams.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
In 2014, Allen took the net and ran with in from March until his collapse against Minny.

In 2015/2016, Allen played at All-Star level until he got hurt in Jan. ‘16 when he came back Elliott solidified his spot in the net.

In 2017, Shortly after Yeo took over for Hitch, Allen’s play became great like the rest of the team. He had the best goaltending series performance in the organization’s modern history.

This year his gameplay trended downwards with the teams overall play. Team is playing better and he is looking better-ish. But still having problems with his puck tracking and save selection.

After last season it was reported that Hitch’s screaming at Allen from the bench after weak goals had its emotional toll. IDK, how much that actually had an impact on Allen. He is an athletic goalie that overcommits on certain scenarios. Then he ends up overreading (predicting) plays which puts him out of position. He is best when he plays deep in his net and moves around less.

He honestly flat out does not mesh well with the Blues defensive structure. I have said it in the Blues sub-forum that I would trade Allen for Darling. Teams swap goalies with same term and similar cap hit. Allen is a few years younger as well. Hope the change is good for both teams.
If that's true, that's ridiculous. Your paid good money, as an athlete, to perform. If your not doing your job, you'll hear about it from someone. How mentally fragile can a guy be?

What a baby. I'm amazed he could even get this far in the NHL if he can't handle even the slightest criticism. The worst part is that the solution is pretty simple, start making saves.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Allen was awesome in the series against Minny. Pretty darn good vs the Preds too. Was has gone wrong for him this season?

He lacks basic goalie fundamentals. Something Brodeur has had to hold his hand with and the only way we've gotten success out of him. He relies too much on athleticism. His positioning is poor as he tends to overcommit a lot and his puck tracking is very poor as well.

Reactions: 67Blues

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You've heard of guess hitters in baseball who when they guess the right pitch can put it in the seats but guess wrong and they are headed back to the dugout? Allen is a guess goalie. If he guesses right, he can make amazing saves. If he guesses wrong, he is out of position and either scrambles back with his athleticism and makes a phenomenal save, or he looks like a beer league goalie out of position. He doesn't seem to follow the puck without that much traffic, and put traffic in front of him and he gets worse. I've never seen a goalie miss so many straight shots with his glove hand. His post coverage is abysmal and he likes to leave his goal to make that homerun pass which can lead to comic results when he misplays the puck or confuses his defensemen.

Outside of a few people, DA giving him that 4 year extension when he really hadn't proven anything yet was quite the head scratcher and will probably come back to bite us.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I don't think you realize just how bad of a goalie Jake Allen is. He's not a starting goalie and is being paid like one for the next 3 years. His value to us currently is future considerations. I would rather re-sign Hutton to a 1-2 year deal and platoon him and Husso than having to watch Jake flop around in net for 3 more years.
He has been good in the past. Had an awful year but can jump back.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Why start a “Value of” thread when you post what you think his value is (nothing)in the OP and than argue against his value when other fans are saying he is worth more?

When it comes to the title (not the original post), Allen absolutely has value because he has had stretches where he has been fantastic and he has been fantastic in multiple playoff series. Look at how many average goalies with only potential and no fantastic stretches get traded for and signed and you will see how NHL teams will always take a shot on a goalie.

I have no doubt that he would return a lot more than most Blues fans think.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Why start a “Value of” thread when you post what you think his value is (nothing)in the OP and than argue against his value when other fans are saying he is worth more?

When it comes to the title (not the original post), Allen absolutely has value because he has had stretches where he has been fantastic and he has been fantastic in multiple playoff series. Look at how many average goalies with only potential and no fantastic stretches get traded for and signed and you will see how NHL teams will always take a shot on a goalie.

I agree. The grass is always greener.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
He lacks basic goalie fundamentals. Something Brodeur has had to hold his hand with and the only way we've gotten success out of him. He relies too much on athleticism. His positioning is poor as he tends to overcommit a lot and his puck tracking is very poor as well.

Ironically, Brodeur is the director of goaltending in St. Louis.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012

Because threads in the trade forum have to have prefixes and there isn't an option of "Who wants our trash?"

I'm not arguing against any people who say they would give up more than future considerations. I'm arguing against people who haven't followed Allen since his junior days. Does asking for a 3rd make you feel better?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Because threads in the trade forum have to have prefixes and there isn't an option of "Who wants our trash?"

I'm not arguing against any people who say they would give up more than future considerations. I'm arguing against people who haven't followed Allen since his junior days. Does asking for a 3rd make you feel better?

I liked Elliott in net for the Blues.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
And when Brodeur worked with him last year, he played lights out after that week sabbatical in "Camp Marty". Now left to his own this year, he's reverted back to his bad habits.

I haven't seen Allen recently, so I can only imagine slightly, but when Brodeur was working with him, I could see that he was playing like an elite goaltender. Brodeur was definitely a help for him.

SenatorFrank

Jan 8, 2014
Ottawa
sens might take a flyer on him hes not tremendously overpaid and we need a goalie. Then again our owner is cheaaap! High priced reclamation not exactly his cup of tea.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Allen's peaks are high and he looks like a top 5 goalie but his valleys are so so low and it doesn't take much for him to lose his confidence. When he does he's a trainwreck. Just mentally not fit to be a A1 starter.

I don't think any goalie in the league could've done what Jake did last year in the playoffs against Minny. Best goaltending performance I've seen in years. Single handedly won that series for the Blues.

But every single year he goes through a mental breakdown during the middle of the season. The talent is there, that's why he's such a frustrating goalie to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad