Value of: Jake Allen

txw

Feb 2, 2018
Hes a guy thats more valuable on the team than what you'd get for him. With Husso, Binnington and Fitzpatrick (in that order) all viable future goalies for the Blues (as long as they progress), I would just sit on Allen unless an all star tender falls on your lap via a trade. Heard lots of credible Blues rumors kicking tires on Price from MTL at the deadline, but that obviously didn't materialize. Id hang onto him.

Reactions: iSophagus

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I don't think you realize just how bad of a goalie Jake Allen is. He's not a starting goalie and is being paid like one for the next 3 years. His value to us currently is future considerations. I would rather re-sign Hutton to a 1-2 year deal and platoon him and Husso than having to watch Jake flop around in net for 3 more years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Hes a guy thats more valuable on the team than what you'd get for him. With Husso, Binnington and Fitzpatrick (in that order) all viable future goalies for the Blues (as long as they progress), I would just sit on Allen unless an all star tender falls on your lap via a trade. Heard lots of credible Blues rumors kicking tires on Price from MTL at the deadline, but that obviously didn't materialize. Id hang onto him.
Lots? There was 1 that wasn't credible at all. Jeremy Rutherford did his homework on it and there wasn't any hint of the Blues looking into Price

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I'd like to see what Husso has to offer this season and then make the decision. If Husso is ready, you roll with Allen/Husso combo as a 1A/1B setup. Since Husso is on his ELC, the overall cost of goalies as a group then is fairly small. As Husso rises, Allen sits more and more as a backup, but again, with Allen's contract and Husso's ELC, it isn't a bank breaker compared to what other teams have invested in goalies.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

This ended up not being true at all.

I hope we move on from Jake Allen in the offseason. Maybe acquire someone like Lehner or something.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I'd like to see what Husso has to offer this season and then make the decision. If Husso is ready, you roll with Allen/Husso combo as a 1A/1B setup. Since Husso is on his ELC, the overall cost of goalies as a group then is fairly small. As Husso rises, Allen sits more and more as a backup, but again, with Allen's contract and Husso's ELC, it isn't a bank breaker compared to what other teams have invested in goalies.
And the problem with that is that we still have to roll with Jake Allen in net who is not a good goalie and has cost us more games than he's won for us. Not every loss is at his hands because the offense this year has been pitiful, but Allen hasn't exactly helped by constantly letting up weak goals. I'd rather trade him off and look for another journeyman type goalie in the offseason because they will be cheap and probably just as effective as Allen has been for the Blues.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We need a goalie who has good positional play. Those are the goalies that do well with the Blues even if they haven't done well in the past with other teams like Brian Elliott. Jake Allen has terrible position play.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I don't think you realize just how bad of a goalie Jake Allen is. He's not a starting goalie and is being paid like one for the next 3 years. His value to us currently is future considerations. I would rather re-sign Hutton to a 1-2 year deal and platoon him and Husso than having to watch Jake flop around in net for 3 more years.

Canucks would like to have him. We're sick and tired of Markstrom and Nilsson, although the latter is better than the former.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
A few teams might consider a trade for him. He's looking like he will never be a #1. But teams do get desperate. 3 years isn't that long to take a risk on him.

Carolina could use him the most, but probably can't afford him and Darling just to get borderline average performance.

Is Vancouver sick of their goalie duo enough to ditch them both? Then run with Allen and Demko for the future?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Allen has shown talent in extended stretches (I recall him being unbeliable after the Blues sent him home last season), but it doesn't seem like he's mentally strong enough to be a consistent starter. If he loses his confidence he's one of the worst goalies in the league. Having a goalie so mentally weak signed long term is a bad situation for the Blues. I don't see many team lining up to take on that contract, especially since there's a chance he'll be a 4.3M back up.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
And the problem with that is that we still have to roll with Jake Allen in net who is not a good goalie and has cost us more games than he's won for us. Not every loss is at his hands because the offense this year has been pitiful, but Allen hasn't exactly helped by constantly letting up weak goals. I'd rather trade him off and look for another journeyman type goalie in the offseason because they will be cheap and probably just as effective as Allen has been for the Blues.
To get rid of Jake Allen will cost the Blues probably a top pick and top prospect. His value is negative and is approaching Lehtera value. I could see a team taking Allen and Thompson or Schmaltz in exchange for a salary dump and a 3rd. I don't know if the Blues want to just throw away prospects/picks just to rid themselves of Allen. When he has his head on straight, he is a really good goalie. In the other times, he is basically a sieve.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
A few teams might consider a trade for him. He's looking like he will never be a #1. But teams do get desperate. 3 years isn't that long to take a risk on him.

Carolina could use him the most, but probably can't afford him and Darling just to get borderline average performance.

Is Vancouver sick of their goalie duo enough to ditch them both? Then run with Allen and Demko for the future?

Yes, neither does a good job in net. I'd have Demko and Allen run a tandem, until Demko grows to be the undisputed starter for Vancouver.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
To get rid of Jake Allen will cost the Blues probably a top pick and top prospect. His value is negative and is approaching Lehtera value.

Approaching Lehtera value and he's gonna cost more than double to get rid of him compared to the late 1st they gave up to get rid of Lehtera? Seems a bit excessive.

A team desperate for a goalie this past off season signed Steve Mason to a 2 year deal with an AAV of $4.1 million.... I'm sure a team that needs a goalie would consider picking Allen up for a late pick.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Eh, I might the guy who hates most of Allen, but put Allen in here is bit hesitate move. Re-evaluate where Allen's performance is next mid-season if needed.

Reactions: stl76 and 67Blues

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I get the feeling there'll be a gently used Petr Mrazek available this summer. You can watch him flop around instead.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don’t understand why Hutton hasn’t played more. You have one of the worst starters in the NHL and the best backup in the NHL and yet they continue to give Allen chance after chance. Should have pulled the plug on him a few months ago.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I don’t understand why Hutton hasn’t played more. You have one of the worst starters in the NHL and the best backup in the NHL and yet they continue to give Allen chance after chance. Should have pulled the plug on him a few months ago.
Hutton was playing #1 minutes until he got hurt. That is why he isn't playing right now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Carolina could use him the most? Why do we need another goalie who has a career sub .915 save %?

I'd rather tank than try another goalie like that and hope he works out.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hutton was playing #1 minutes until he got hurt. That is why he isn't playing right now.

Fair enough. I had Hutton on my fantasy team until the injury. I thought even when he was “the starter,” Allen was playing far too much. Allen is going to finish with 50+ starts and he’s been ass all year.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Fair enough. I had Hutton on my fantasy team until the injury. I thought even when he was “the starter,” Allen was playing far too much. Allen is going to finish with 50+ starts and he’s been ass all year.

This simply isn't true.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This simply isn't true.

Well, you guys would know better than me. All I do know is that Hutton looked like he was going to have a special season all year and for him to only have 25 starts doesn’t make sense to me. I guess with Allen signed long term and Hutton headed to UFA, they really wanted to get Allen going somehow. It’s just a shame because you have such a good goalie on the roster. I’m a Hawks fan and don’t even have Hutton anymore but am still rooting for him to come back, get the Blues into the playoffs and go on a run as the starter there because I think he’s earned it.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Well, you guys would know better than me. All I do know is that Hutton looked like he was going to have a special season all year and for him to only have 25 starts doesn’t make sense to me. I guess with Allen signed long term and Hutton headed to UFA, they really wanted to get Allen going somehow. It’s just a shame because you have such a good goalie on the roster. I’m a Hawks fan and don’t even have Hutton anymore but am still rooting for him to come back, get the Blues into the playoffs and go on a run as the starter there because I think he’s earned it.
Hutton has never been a #1 his entire career, and you don't bank your season on that, considering the way Allen played last year from December on. The idea was that Hutton was an excellent backup for the past two years, and Allen would finally get over that hump and take over as a true #1. That hasn't happened, although some of his losses aren't his fault as the team was scoring less than two goals a game for him. But that doesn't cover up the fact that he has been wildly inconsistent this year and only at times showed the goalie he was last year.

Allen would do best on a team that faces a ton of shots in a run and gun type system. The Blues system isn't set up for that and he could go a long time between shots. I don't know what goes on in his head during that down time, but it evidently isn't good and he starts thinking to much and gets himself out of position. If he is just reacting and gets to flop around and make highlight saves, he is at his best. This is why I thought Elliot did better in the Blues system as he was more positional but less athletic than Allen.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad