Speculation: Jagr?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Im not saying adding Jagr is the right move but I love all the obnoxious NOOOOO answers. The guy would have been 4th on the Isles with points this year, probably higher had he been on a power play with John Tavares.

Then again all these people are the same trolls who jumped all over me last offseason when I said signing Staal to a short term deal would have been the best move Snow could have made.

E.Staal would have made alot more sense than ladd considering jack was afraid to let strome,nelson go through the growing pains of becoming a Center

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Im not saying adding Jagr is the right move but I love all the obnoxious NOOOOO answers. The guy would have been 4th on the Isles with points this year, probably higher had he been on a power play with John Tavares.

Then again all these people are the same trolls who jumped all over me last offseason when I said signing Staal to a short term deal would have been the best move Snow could have made.

It's funny, I remember as far back as when Jagr signed with Philadelphia in 2011 that he was labeled too old and too slow to play on the Isles. Claude Giroux credited Jagr with helping to develop into a better offensive player by instilling the notion of a "killer instinct" to score on each shift.

While I think Jagr never considered playing for the Isles either way. I still concur with what you wrote; all too often fans just disregard players too quickly. I too would have liked Staal, but playing on the Islanders he would have most likely scored closer to what Ladd did this year... 3 years to 7 and he doesn't have a NMC though?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's funny, I remember as far back as when Jagr signed with Philadelphia in 2011 that he was labeled too old and too slow to play on the Isles. Claude Giroux credited Jagr with helping to develop into a better offensive player by instilling the notion of a "killer instinct" to score on each shift.

While I think Jagr never considered playing for the Isles either way. I still concur with what you wrote; all too often fans just disregard players too quickly. I too would have liked Staal, but playing on the Islanders he would have most likely scored closer to what Ladd did this year... 3 years to 7 and he doesn't have a NMC though?

Jagr is a huge risk at that age, regardless of whether or not he gets injured. He's a nice addition to a core of good players, he shouldn't be the good player you're going to rely on.

Also, how did that "killer instinct" work out for Girioux? There are rumblings of the possible need to trade him in Philadelphia.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I wouldn't be opposed to getting Jagr. Adding him and Duchene would be two great additions.

Lee-Tavares-Jagr
Ladd-Duchene-Ho-Sang
Beauvillier-Barzal-Strome
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Quine

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Imagine we can trade Strome & Nelson and one of their replacements is Jagr without giving up any assets. You really can count on Jagr for the playoffs, but then again I wouldn't count on Strome or Nelson either.

How is that not an improvement?

And perhaps the greatest benefit to having Jagr on the team would be as a mentor for Ho Sang. Lord knows I think seeing Jagr's work either would do wonders for him (and everyone else on the team).

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I wouldn't be opposed to getting Jagr. Adding him and Duchene would be two great additions.

Lee-Tavares-Jagr
Ladd-Duchene-Ho-Sang
Beauvillier-Barzal-Strome
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Quine

That would be a mighty slow top line .
Jagr is so old he played 3 seasons as a teamate of Bryan Trottier
I pass , he is done .

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I pass , he is done .

Yeah 16 goals and 30 assists this year means he's done. Suuuure. Jagr is still a top 9 forward and will be one for 3-5 more years. Lol people have been saying he's done for more than 10 years.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Yeah 16 goals and 30 assists this year means he's done. Suuuure. Jagr is still a top 9 forward and will be one for 3-5 more years. Lol people have been saying he's done for more than 10 years.

yeah but you're funny if you think we're handing out 5 million to guys to play on the third line which is not a need of ours at all

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
yeah but you're funny if you think we're handing out 5 million to guys to play on the third line which is not a need of ours at all

Oh I'm not advocating that the isles sign him necessarily. He would help for sure but it's probably not the smartest move.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
He wouldn't be my first choice.

He's still a good player that should get 15-20 goals and ~30 assists.

My issue is that he won't fix the power play, and he's obviously not going to fit in a checking/energy/PK role. So if we sign Jagr we still need another offensive guy to fix the powerplay issue. Jagr will only benefit us for 5v5 scoring--which was the strength of this team last season.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I pass , he is done .

It's definitely slow, but there's a ton of skill on that line. I'll take great skill over speed any day of the week. Lee is just about a lock for 25 goals, JT is a lock for 30, Jagr can still pot 15 (I think personally he'd be a lock for 20 on that line). If we were able to get Duchene, we'd have plenty of speed in the lineup between him, Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, Chimera, and Barzal.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Jagr is a huge risk at that age, regardless of whether or not he gets injured. He's a nice addition to a core of good players, he shouldn't be the good player you're going to rely on.

Also, how did that "killer instinct" work out for Girioux? There are rumblings of the possible need to trade him in Philadelphia.

Jagr in 2012 and as playoff rental in subsequent years was a fine and useful player for many teams and would have been for the Islanders. No one was viewing him as a core player.

For what he projected as coming into the NHL, Giroux had exceptional offensive years. He has suffered injuries and his offense has slowed. But how does that disprove that Jagr had an impact on his development?

EDIT: just so we're clear, I'm not advocating for Jagr this offseason. I'm simply acknowledging the point made by the poster I quoted... there often seems to be these knee-jerk rejections on these boards for certain players.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Jagr in 2012 and as playoff rental in subsequent years was a fine and useful player for many teams and would have been for the Islanders. No one was viewing him as a core player.

For what he projected as coming into the NHL, Giroux had exceptional offensive years. He has suffered injuries and his offense has slowed. But how does that disprove that Jagr had an impact on his development?

EDIT: just so we're clear, I'm not advocating for Jagr this offseason. I'm simply acknowledging the point made by the poster I quoted... there often seems to be these knee-jerk rejections on these boards for certain players.

Jagr was fine for those teams, I'm not debating that. I am saying that we don't have the pieces on the current roster that would put him into the same role he was on those teams. We need more star power, not more complimentary pieces.

I think you're giving Jagr a bit too much credit for Girioux's development and using injuries as a way to avoid acknowledging that. Girioux is a fine player, but he isn't what he is because of Jagr. The same way Tavares isn't what he is because of Weight.

The knee-jerk reaction is fair though. It's a huge risk in a case like this. Jagr isn't cheap, he isn't young, he wouldn't be a top line player, so I'm not sure what the appeal is other than him being a name that sells and possibly mentoring a little bit. Not worth it for me.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Jagr was fine for those teams, I'm not debating that. I am saying that we don't have the pieces on the current roster that would put him into the same role he was on those teams. We need more star power, not more complimentary pieces.

Yes, I concur that Jagr should not be a PRIMARY target for this CURRENT roster. My references to Jagr was entirely of him as player post KHL and leading up to being acquired by Florida. His name would be suggested on these boards as possibility for acquisition... he would be soundly rejected... he would go on to be a useful top six, PP scoring option elswhere.

I think you're giving Jagr a bit too much credit for Girioux's development and using injuries as a way to avoid acknowledging that. Girioux is a fine player, but he isn't what he is because of Jagr. The same way Tavares isn't what he is because of Weight.

I don't quite follow what you are saying here... But I'll try to clarify my view by summarizing that:

1) I think Jagr helped Giroux (through his experience, knowledge and work ethic). I don't think he was the "singular" reason for his development.

2) Yes, I also think highly of Giroux (maybe more than most on this board). I think he is a very talented offensive player

3) I do think his offensive abilities were hampered the last two years due to injury (Abdominal, Hip problems)

The knee-jerk reaction is fair though. It's a huge risk in a case like this. Jagr isn't cheap, he isn't young, he wouldn't be a top line player, so I'm not sure what the appeal is other than him being a name that sells and possibly mentoring a little bit. Not worth it for me.

As said, this was the primary focus of my initial post. Continuing with using Giroux as an example. If I were to suggest him as an option for the Isles... I have no doubt he would probably be dismissed quickly on these boards too. While I admit, his injuries of late and yearly cap hit are frightening. But after Patrice Bergeron, a healthy Giroux would be my next wish as a second line center.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad