Jagr vs Crosby, who is the better puck protector?

Who is better at puck protection?

• Jagr

Votes: 124 80.0%
  • Crosby

Votes: 31 20.0%

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Jagr wins this in the way that Crosby would win the hand/eye/tipping poll.

Both are so good at everything but have a particular claim to fame.

I disagree.

Hand/eye/tipping is so very clearly Crosby. Jagr wasn't at all known for that skill.

Meanwhile, I think both are renowned as the best puck protectors of their generation. Even if you think Jagr handidly wins the category, it was still a skill Crosby was elite at in a way Jagr wasn't with hand eye coordination.

• Haha
Reactions: Goodman68

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I can't think of a player I would consider better than Jagr in that department.

Anybody remember Alexander Frolov? The one player that was close to Jagr at protecting the puck near the boards.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Anybody remember Alexander Frolov? The one player that was close to Jagr at protecting the puck near the boards.

Yep. Forsberg must be one of the best at this, Sundin was also great at using his big body to shield the puck along the boards. Then of course there was Lindros. Kopitar has also been amazing at shielding the puck, same with Datsyuk.

Yep. Forsberg must be one of the best at this, Sundin was also great at using his big body to shield the puck along the boards. Then of course there was Lindros. Kopitar has also been amazing at shielding the puck, same with Datsyuk.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This was Jagr’s main thing.

I have a memory of Canada playing the Czechs in the 2004 World Cup semifinal and Canada simply being unable to get the puck off him.

Canada won 5-4 in an OT thriller but Jagr was the best player in the game.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I always felt like Jagr was toying with players kind of like a grown up would keep between a kid and a puck to demonstrate body positioning to protect the puck. It was just ridiculous how other players couldn't knock him off it no matter how hard they tried. He really knew how to work that booty.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Here he is protecting his bank account:

1707798462548.jpeg

RR44

Jan 29, 2024
I always thought the play itself was overrated. While it was an impressive display of edgework and puck protection, Spezza ends up doing a good job staying with him and forces Crosby to pass to the point, a low danger scoring chance all things considered.

There's tons more impressive puck protection/edgework assists from Crosby that got a fraction of attention as this one. I get that this was at a pivotal moment though.
It gets the attention it deserves given it's a microcosm of Crosby in a nutshell...determination, elite edgework, shakes off another pretty good hockey player not know for his dzone coverage but you mentioned did a pretty good job, makes a great pass leading to a goal and it was done in the playoffs where Crosby has made his name as one of the very best ever.

I look at it like this...Orr's OT winner goal vs St. Louis is not the best goal ever scored. there's tons more better goals scored. But it gets the attention it deserves because of the iconic photo, it wins Boston the Stanley Cup and it's Orr. What should be mentioned as the elite play is the pinch by Orr to keep a bad angle shot from leaving the zone then the short pass to Sanderson and drives the net for the first touch goal.

Reactions: Felidae

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Jagr is the more naturally gifted when it comes to this skill. His size/reach allowed him to toy with defenders, especially if it was one on one.

Crosby is much more just pure determination imo. He does have strong legs and is built for it somewhat, but a lot of it is him just wanting it more.Jagr made it look easier, but if you asked me who was more likely to come out of a crowd with the puck? Crosby.

Anybody saying it's not close sounds crazy to me.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I still remember vividly the sequence where Jagr single handedly kept the puck from all 5 Hawks during the Stanley Cup final in what was it 91 or 92? where he skated circles around the Hawk net and I seem to recall scoring at the end. It was an unreal feat!

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Not that this will help anyone with their decision, but here are the very few Jagr clips I've found that showcase his puck protection.

#10 start of video
#6 1:36
#4 2:03 (against NJD, everyone's prob seem this one)

Hopefully one day someone can do an extensive Jagr highlight that showcases his assists from back then instead of just his goals. That's probably where all the puck protection content is.

Love how in the second highlight he was 44.

Also, crazy how good he was even in his 40s, I think its understated a bit.

In 2015-16 he was what, 43? He led the Panthers in points with 66, and the Panthers themselves ranked 6th in the NHL, which was arguably their best season ever until the 2020s.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Love how in the second highlight he was 44.

Also, crazy how good he was even in his 40s, I think its understated a bit.

In 2015-16 he was what, 43? He led the Panthers in points with 66, and the Panthers themselves ranked 6th in the NHL, which was arguably their best season ever until the 2020s.

If I’m not mistaken he ranked higher in points and points per game, at 43/44, than Crosby does this season at 36. I’ll have to double check that one to make sure.

Sorry Jagr was 22nd in points and 31st in points per game, Crosby is currently 29th in points but 24th in points per game. Still amazing.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: abo9

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Jagr at 45 years old was still the best at puck protection on the Flames

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
If I’m not mistaken he ranked higher in points and points per game, at 43/44, than Crosby does this season at 36. I’ll have to double check that one to make sure.

Sorry Jagr was 22nd in points and 31st in points per game, Crosby is currently 29th in points but 24th in points per game. Still amazing.

Absolutely insane. I mean, I can excuse the point per game part since a 43-44 years old playing 79 games is mighty impressive by itself

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Absolutely insane. I mean, I can excuse the point per game part since a 43-44 years old playing 79 games is mighty impressive by itself

It makes it all the more impressive years later as I still see how good of a player Crosby is at this age and the fact that Jagr was even close to that approaching his mid 40s is nearly unfathomable.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Jagr was also really strong 5v5. He was 4th in 5v5 points, only 1 behind 2nd place Crosby, and was 1st in 5v5 P/60

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille