Jagr vs Crosby, who is the better puck protector?

Who is better at puck protection?

• Jagr

Votes: 124 80.0%
  • Crosby

Votes: 31 20.0%

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Did another poll on who the better stickhandler was and Jagr won by a landslide.

I reckon this one will be much closer though since both are considered among the best puck protectors of all time, but who was better at this particular skill?

Crosby puck protection highlights

Unfortunately, there's not much video out there showcasing Jagr's puck protection abilities save for a few clips here and there.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Crosby although Jagr was incredible as well. Crosby's edgework in tight spaces makes him the best puck protector I've ever seen.

Reactions: banks

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Jagr, hands down. In an era where, clutching and holding, interference, and overall physicality, were a different beast, and overall ignored, his size and ability to use his big ass (lol) to control Puck possession, were second to none. It's pretty telling, that in the late stages of his nhl career, after losing all speed, he could still be of value to a team.

Crosby was, has been, and to this day, is great. If all things were to be created equal in talent, he still didn't have the size to overpower like jagr did.

Imho, if you traded the players and put them each in their prime, in each other's eras, jagr, along with most of the late 80s,90s superstars, were unstoppable.

Again, all respect to Crosby. He would still be elite, but knowing now what his career dealt w, with concussions etc, in a period where the game was called more tight, I personally believe it's evident that jagr was better in this category by far

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Crosby although Jagr was incredible as well. Crosby's edgework in tight spaces makes him the best puck protector I've ever seen.

Agreed. I think he's getting a bit underrated. Maybe my memory of Jagr is a bit hazier. But Crosby could hold the puck behind the opponent's net with 3 opposing players back there with him.

It's hard to compare pre-lockout clutch and grab hockey to more modern stuff. And Jagr was impressive in both eras, somehow. So I don't blame anyone for voting Jagr.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Two of the best in this regard. Crosby's edgework makes up for Jagr's size advantage to a degree. But, then again, Jagr could skate with the best of them. Rarely, if ever, seen them stripped of the puck in any case.

My Best-Carey

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I gotta give it to Jagr. His ability to use his size to shield off defenders was one of his best assets.

Even as an old man on the 2013 Bruins, he was a factor in the playoffs because of his puck possession.

Reactions: Goodman68

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Jagr, hands down. In an era where, clutching and holding, interference, and overall physicality, were a different beast, and overall ignored, his size and ability to use his big ass (lol) to control Puck possession, were second to none. It's pretty telling, that in the late stages of his nhl career, after losing all speed, he could still be of value to a team.

Crosby was, has been, and to this day, is great. If all things were to be created equal in talent, he still didn't have the size to overpower like jagr did.

Imho, if you traded the players and put them each in their prime, in each other's eras, jagr, along with most of the late 80s,90s superstars, were unstoppable.

Again, all respect to Crosby. He would still be elite, but knowing now what his career dealt w, with concussions etc, in a period where the game was called more tight, I personally believe it's evident that jagr was better in this category by far

Jagr is the answer here but by far? You should revisit that one with a reminder of how good Crosby was in those puck protection videos. Also when Crosby got his concussions the NHL was a very dirty and hard hitting game with more speed than before, doesn’t matter if they called some ticky tacky penalties for a few seasons. The NHL from 2005-10 was a dangerous league.

Reactions: sanscosm

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Probably the best attribute of both players, don’t think there’s a wrong answer here tbh

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Id take Jagr but it's like a 9.8 vs a 9.6, no wrong answer really and two of the best at it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Jagr’s size ultimately made him harder to get the puck from. Crosby was maybe more talented at it relative to his size in order to be comparable though.

Reactions: Bruins4Lifer

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Not that this will help anyone with their decision, but here are the very few Jagr clips I've found that showcase his puck protection.

#10 start of video
#6 1:36
#4 2:03 (against NJD, everyone's prob seem this one)

Hopefully one day someone can do an extensive Jagr highlight that showcases his assists from back then instead of just his goals. That's probably where all the puck protection content is.

Last edited:

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Watched both of their careers fully as a diehard Pens fan.

Jagr is #1 all time in puck protection. Nobody could get past that big Czech booty.

Sid is top 5.

Different skill sets.

I'd take Sid first as a player... but in terms of just raw protection, nobody was better than Jagr.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
even though I had an inkling Jagr would win, I thought it would be at least somewhat close.

Now I'm starting to think maybe he would decisively win a "best puck protector of all time" poll.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Any excuse to post this is a good one

I always thought the play itself was overrated. While it was an impressive display of edgework and puck protection, Spezza ends up doing a good job staying with him and forces Crosby to pass to the point, a low danger scoring chance all things considered.

There's tons more impressive puck protection/edgework assists from Crosby that got a fraction of attention as this one. I get that this was at a pivotal moment though.

Reactions: RR44

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Jagr wins this in the way that Crosby would win the hand/eye/tipping poll.

Both are so good at everything but have a particular claim to fame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad