Jagr a Devil Part II: May be an Alien Edition

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think ~55 should be a reasonable barometer. I think he will be slightly over that, but still. expecting 80 is just outlandish.

Feb 16, 2013
NJ
You're expecting Mike Cammalleri and Travis Zajac to boost Jagr to a point total that he has not reached since 2007.

Alright.

I am expecting them to help each other out .Jagr had 67 points last year if lou had traded for cammalleri at the deadline maybe he would have finished with over 80 who knows ?

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I am expecting them to help each other out .Jagr had 67 points last year if lou had traded for cammalleri at the deadline maybe he would have finished with over 80 who knows ?

You are expecting 42-year old Jaromir Jagr to produce roughly a point per game, when in his last four NHL seasons he has produced well below that.

NC107*

I just hope the new line adding Cammalleri gains chemistry
early and stays together producing more points than the mixed line of Zajac/Jagr did last season.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
You are expecting 42-year old Jaromir Jagr to produce roughly a point per game, when in his last four NHL seasons he has produced well below that.

Haha that's true. Funny thing is that his point totals have been increasing year by year since he has returned. Maybe he can do what Federer in tennis is doing now? Slowly making his way back.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
That is correct, but at the same time you are using one season to illustrate a tiny point. I am using multiple seasons to indicate a trend.

2011-12 Philadelphia Flyers 73 gp 54points
2012-13 Dallas Stars 34 gp 26points
2012-13 Boston Bruins 11gp 9points
2013-14 New Jersey Devils 82gp 67points

I hope this season he can go up a little more. That would be awesome.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

I think anywhere from 60-75 is reasonable

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

That's. .78 ppg. * 82 = 64 points.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Haha that's true. Funny thing is that his point totals have been increasing year by year since he has returned. Maybe he can do what Federer in tennis is doing now? Slowly making his way back.

Excellent point. Well done.

I can totally see 70. Thus I can't say 80 is some out of the realm type prediction.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Jagr is Jagr, he'll do what he does. I just want to see a productive Zajac again. I think the combination of dishing to Jagr and Camm could be enough to get him back to legit 1st-line center territory again.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
:laugh:

Do you know how many players scored 80+ points last season?

In any given season it's usually less than 10. Do you think Jagr will be a top 10 point scorer this season?

If anyone can do it, it's Jagr.

One thing people don't realize is that in his first season with Philly, he started the year with 31 Pts in his first 32 games leading up to the Winter Classic. At that point, he was getting better and better every game (he had 0 goals in his first 7 games that season) and had a December of 6 goals and 14 Pts in 13 games. Then he pulls his groin at the Winter Classic is never the same again. He himself admits he came back too soon that year. He had looked like he hit a wall in the second half but his injury was a big reason for it. He had 31 Pts in his first 32 games and 24 Pts in his last 41 games ( I would think that groin injury was the biggest reason for it).

Although the Devils don't have a Giroux type player on their team, it's no coincidence that Giroux' breakout season happened to be the year Jagr played on the team.

My point is that Jagr enjoyed playing with Giroux and Hartnell, he had a true friendship going on with them, it was the Flyers coach though that wasn't giving Jagr icetime.

DeBoer will give Jagr the icetime he wants, Jagr already has developed chemistry with Zajac and if Cammalleri can help out as well, I don't see why the Devils first unit can't be one of the very best this season. That 2011-12 Jagr who had 31 Pts in his first 32 games (0.97 PPG or pace of 79 Pts) was also a slower and heavier Jagr than you see now. He was also needing time to adjust to the NHL again after being away from it for 3 years.

Chemistry, familiarity and comfort are three things Jagr enjoys the most, you folks will be very pleasantly surprised this coming season as long as he remains healthy.

I have made point predictions in the past, my only prediction I will make this time around is if Jagr remains healthy, he will be an even better player than he was last season and it will be night and day. That's all I will make for predictions.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Players run hot and cold. A 30-game stretch of near point-per-game play, for a player that hasn't been at the level before or after, is the anomaly, not the norm.

"If Henrique plays a whole season like he did for those 5 weeks where he scored at will, he'll be a 40+ goal scorer for sure." Sure it's technically true, but it's not going to happen.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I maintain my stance that expecting Jagr to score 70+ points this season is silly. I hope he proves me wrong, but it's silly.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Players run hot and cold. A 30-game stretch of near point-per-game play, for a player that hasn't been at the level before or after, is the anomaly, not the norm.

"If Henrique plays a whole season like he did for those 5 weeks where he scored at will, he'll be a 40+ goal scorer for sure." Sure it's technically true, but it's not going to happen.

If this was your average 2nd or even 1st line player then I would agree with this but we're talking about Jagr here, a player who even at age 42 still has elite talent, he might not skate like he once did but the guy can still stickhandle in a booth, still has a great shot and has elite vision and passing skills.

That 30 game stretch where he was at near PPG was done in a season when everyone thought Jagr would fail, he was returning from the KHL (completely different game where you have much more space and time on the ice) after being away from the NHL for 3 years. Jagr said recently in New Jersey that it wasn't until 2013-14 that he has finally readjusted to the NHL.

It's not like Jagr ever played at a PPG pace before.:sarcasm:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=713301

For you personally this season have you played above your expectations, at your expectations, or below your expectations?

"Me personally, I think I can be a lot better and the team can play a lot better. We had a lot of injuries and it's a new team. There were a lot of pluses, but also a lot of minuses for me. The minuses I look at are it's a new team and learning a new system. It's a lot easier to play with the guys who have been together for three, four or five years. You don't have to learn anything new. You don't need 20 games just to find out how the other guys play. I don't think it's possible for anybody, it doesn't matter if you're [Sidney] Crosby, [Evgeni] Malkin, whoever, to win the scoring title with a new team. It's not possible. I never did it."

In terms of your production, though, there are people surprised that you've put up almost 65 points at your age. Should they be?

"Why? I don't think 65 points is something special. I had 150. That's a huge decline to me. That's why I'm not happy about it. God give me a lot of talent and you don't lose the talent unless you stop working. I love to work."

Last edited:

NC107*

If this was your average 2nd or even 1st line player then I would agree with this but we're talking about Jagr here, a player who even at age 42 still has elite talent, he might not skate like he once did but the guy can still stickhandle in a booth, still has a great shot and has elite vision and passing skills.

That 30 game stretch where he was at near PPG was done in a season when everyone thought Jagr would fail, he was returning from the KHL (completely different game where you have much more space and time on the ice) after being away from the NHL for 3 years. Jagr said recently in New Jersey that it wasn't until 2013-14 that he has finally readjusted to the NHL.

It's not like Jagr ever played at a PPG pace before.:sarcasm:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=713301

He is something special and I am glad he is a Devil and enjoys being on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad