So both are basically the same player.

• Haha
Reactions: JoeMc

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This one really backfired, @Lays.

It's relevant to note Hamilton had an injury-plagued year last season. Started out with a leg injury, then a broken jaw, and he really struggled coming back with the face-shield. He should have a better year next year if he stays healthy, he was great the first 3+ weeks of the season before he got hurt.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd definitely take Captain Trouba. In a vacuum, i'd still take him over Dougie. But especially if we're talking about taking that player for the Canucks situation. Trouba is pretty much exactly what Hughes probably needs as a partner, and he'd be a nice fit with OEL as well. Dougie...would be a little bit of a more awkward fit. He's also one of the most overrated defencemen in the league. I'd have thought him looking a lot less impressive in a less flattering situation would've illustrated that for most people...but i guess not?

Reactions: JoeMc

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm quite surprised at the poll results. Hamilton has had a (unfounded) reputation as soft and weak defensively.

I voted Trouba and I'm probably one of the bigger Hamilton stans. The contract situation is just tough. The length of Trouba's deal isn't too crippling.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Both have bad contracts

Both shoot the puck a lot to generate offense

Both are suspect on defense

Both take dumb penalties

So both are basically the same player.
They’re actually quite different players

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Hamilton is like that scene in Moneyball where Brad Pitt is arguing with the old farts and continuously retorts, "but he gets. The. Puck. OUT".

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Since when is being a cheap shot artist considered "toughness"?
Probably because every player that steps up to him after he “cheap shots” gets absolutely pummeled.

Trouba hasn’t lost a single fight as a NYR

No one has gotten redemption on him. Not even with a simple decent body check

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Since when is being a cheap shot artist considered "toughness"?

Since Darius Kasparaitus.

Possibly even before that.

Honestly, i don't see how someone can watch Trouba play and frame him as "just a cheap shot artist" and completely discount the impact of that sort of player and physical threat to crossing the blueline, cruising into the corner to retrieve that puck, going to the net, etc.

Whether he's a "cheap shot artist" or not...there's a clear element of physicality to his game that is going to make certain players think an extra tick of the clock about things on the ice, and make some personal "business decisions" about just how vulnerable they're willing to make themselves when trying to make plays in the same vicinity as Trouba.

I feel like "Physicality" is the thing that a lot of fans most consistently fail to account for appropriately. It's probably the thing that the "analytics" have the biggest blindspot around. It's not about tallying up how many "hits" a guy accumulates, or PIMs or whatever directly measurable metric. It's about appreciating the presence a particular player physically imposes on the ice.

The strangest facet of the issue though, is that there seems to be some pretty universal recognition when a particularly completely and utterly lacks the "physicality" to be effective, at the opposite end of the spectrum. But for whatever reason, there's a midpoint in the scale where the evaluation stops sliding for a lot of people. Like there's a clear recognition that "soft as butter" is hugely detrimental to effectiveness. But somehow "physically imposing" at the opposite end is often discounted as not particularly relevant?

Reactions: bert

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Probably because every player that steps up to him after he “cheap shots” gets absolutely pummeled.

Trouba hasn’t lost a single fight as a NYR

No one has gotten redemption on him. Not even with a simple decent body check
Guess we'll just pretend the Viel fight didnt happen

Reactions: Ignite111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad