Jacksonville's Panetta directs racist taunt at Jordan Subban; Suspended Indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
if you can do the tough guy pose on a white player but not on a black player, that's reverse racism. you shouldnt have to act differently around minorities because they could get offended by innocent gestures.

You're right Jimmy, you should be able to wear your Klan robes in public. You shouldn't have to act differently around minorities just because they could get offended by innocent gestures.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
if you can do the tough guy pose on a white player but not on a black player, that's reverse racism. you shouldnt have to act differently around minorities because they could get offended by innocent gestures.

"Your honor, I was only burning a cross to show the heathens that Jesus Christ is the light of the world. There's no racial intent behind it. I didn't know that was a Black family's lawn."

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

"There was no hateful intent when I firebombed the synagogue. There was a vermin infestation that needed to be eradicated."

Reactions: Captain Crash

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
upload_2022-1-28_10-18-43.png

Glad to see Panetta get some support. It would certainly be a shame if his career is forever tarnished over a simple misunderstanding.

Cancel culture strikes again.

Reactions: Arwin and obZen

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
@CrazyEddie20 @wildcat48

Care to amend your previous statements since it's been shown you jumped the gun and were completely wrong about this incident?

Nope. Because Subban perceived what Panetta did as racist. Actions have consequences. Maybe hockey's racists, of which there are many, will be more careful in the future.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I saw the video and like many others I only saw a usual flex.

I don't believe for a moment that Panetta wanted to impersonate a monkey and the worst part is that I believe everyone else (Subban, media) does too.

The media systematically talk about changing the hockey culture and exploit all possible news items to impose politics in this sport.

I think it's above all the media culture that needs to change.

Stop lying, manipulating - information, appeasement above all.

On Canadian sites, the media talk about racial slurs with very little detail. No video, no possibility for the Internet user to express himself.

Panetta is destroyed for an ideology. Banned for the year, removed from NHL 22 despite doing nothing.

The video had a lot more shocking things (a downed goalie suffering from a head shock without anyone caring about him, Jordan Subban needlessly kicking Jacob Panetta while he's on the ice).

It's enough for a black player to accuse a white player of racism for the media to automatically give reason. Myles Garrett did the same to Mason Rudolph.

Jordan Subban is guilty of violence on Jacob Panetta and it was enough for him to accuse Panetta of racism with a very weak argument to reverse the situation and harm Jacob Panetta.

Disgusting.

Last edited:

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
@CrazyEddie20 @wildcat48

Care to amend your previous statements since it's been shown you jumped the gun and were completely wrong about this incident?

I was going to say that they'll never admit to being wrong and will spin it in some capacity to fit their narrative... and sure enough, the one dude did. Right, because Subban perceived it as racist made the public witch hunt totally justified. LOL. A dangerous precedent that line of thinking sets outside of this incident.

We will never have conclusive evidence whether the pose that Panetta made had racial intentions or not. However, given that Panetta went public to explain himself with an apology to Subban, and with his (now former) teammates issuing a public statement (likely without the Jacksonville Icemen's knowledge and/or consent), maybe there is some truth to Panetta's claims afterall. I can understand that Subban could interpret Panetta's pose as racially motivated at the time. Given the circumstances, maybe Subban should issue a public statement so Panetta can salvage his reputation and career at this point.

obZen

Jul 1, 2019
Nope. Because Subban perceived what Panetta did as racist. Actions have consequences. Maybe hockey's racists, of which there are many, will be more careful in the future.

I perceive this post as racist and sexist. You should lose your job and have your life ruined. Actions have consequences after all. Maybe the racists and sexists on HFBoards will be more careful in the future.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I agree with CrazyEddie20 so im not gonna repeat what he's said, but I will add that we need to stop living in this parallel belief that we are absolved from responsbility and consequences for their actions if we say "oops, I didnt mean that or its not what I meant."

Today, society believes it can do or say whatever it wants whenever it wants to whomever w/o accepting responsibility or consequences. Society doesn't work that way. It's never work that way.

Panetta had a choice. He made his decision to make that gesture in that moment to that person. He has to live with the consequences of that decision. Its not an oops moment. It's a "I f**ked up moment" and accept responsibility for your actions.

Actions have consequences and we as a civil society need to realize that we are not absolved from those responsibilities.

Society seems to believe in "innocent until proven guilty" in everything other than perceived bigotry. With alleged bigotry, it's clearly "guilty until proven innocent." I don't think it SHOULD be that way, but it clearly is.

With Reilly's whole "rag it" incident, he was considered guilty from the start from people like you. Hfboards, twitter, and the hockey subreddit were a tire fire. But Reilly was able to "prove" his innocence. Gm's and teammates stuck up for him. The ref denied he yelled it. So good for Reilly. But what if he was unable to prove it? What if the ref said he wasn't sure what Reilly said? Reilly's life deserves to be ruined over an unproven misunderstanding?

Panetta is a similar situation. He was accused of a racist gesture, but he said it was a non racial "muscle man" pose. Of course, right out of the gate, people like you chose "hate him first ask questions later." He was guilty until proven innocent. Then it was noted there were no racist words or sounds and that he was yelling "tough guy" while he did the gesture. Then it was shown that he does that "muscle man" pose in the past. Then all his teammates came together and supported him and his character and said he does the muscle man pose regularly.

So for even misguided people like you who believe in "guilty until proven innocent", is there not enough evidence of his innocence yet? There are NO other backstories of racism and no off-putting social media tweets from Panetta. Do you think his teammates would really be supporting him if he showed warning signs of racism in the past?

Given the new evidence, most people's opinions have switched on a dime. Go look at the hockey subreddit. Those borderline organizing lynch mobs against Panetta are now apologizing and acknowledging they were wrong.

You and Crazyeddie are among the VERY small minority who still consider Panetta in the wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad