Jacksonville's Panetta directs racist taunt at Jordan Subban; Suspended Indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
At the :23 mark of OT last night, Jacksonville's Jacob Panetta made gorilla motions at Jordan Subban. He's been suspended indefinitely.

The idiot who runs Jacksonville's twitter account described the incident thusly:

They released the player, what more do you want. The JAX player was dealt with, now we have of course all the hype from the media pushing a narrative of "systemic" issues in hockey. They released him so he essentially was "cancelled" and will likely not find a roster spot on any team anytime soon for a stupid decision made whereby he let stupidity and emotions get the best of him. Sadly this will be the big media story for the league and media will run wild with it.

Last edited:

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Panetta released a video explaining his gesture {which was a "tough guy} something that hes used and with NHL players doing it as well.
However, his explanation appears to be not good enough as the "racist news hungry media" is running with this story, plus Twitter exploding and Facebook erupting.
Strangely his team has released him before his hearing. Appreantly his explanation waas not good enuf for them either.
Its the world we live in.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
So what actually happened there? I watched it and I'm not sure I saw the racist gesture. Was it the pumping of the shoulders? TBH that's pretty ambigous. Are we sure we aren't jumping the gun here?

I expected something like peeling a banana like what happened in the KHL (?).

Flexing your muscles thing... eh, I could see it. But maybe not?

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So what actually happened there? I watched it and I'm not sure I saw the racist gesture. Was it the pumping of the shoulders? TBH that's pretty ambigous. Are we sure we aren't jumping the gun here? ...
It's not up to "we". It's up to his employer & his collective bargaining unit, the PHPA. "We" are free to express supporting or dissenting opinions, within Board guidelines. So far, so good, far as I can tell.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
They released the player, what more do you want. The JAX player was dealt with, now we have of course all the hype from the media pushing a narrative of "systemic" issues in hockey. They released him so he essentially was "cancelled" and will likely not find a roster spot on any team anytime soon for a stupid decision made whereby he let stupidity and emotions get the best of him. Sadly this will be the big media story for the league and media will run wild with it.

No, the player has only partially "been dealt with." He's been waived by the Icemen. He's suspended indefinitely. Until there's a hearing and a definite suspension handed down by the league, he's not been "dealt with."

Nor has he been cancelled. Ultimately, hockey players are employees, just like you or I when we're at work. Things you do at work that bring disrepute on your company can result in your firing. That's not being cancelled. That's suffering consequences for your actions.

Panetta released a video explaining his gesture {which was a "tough guy} something that hes used and with NHL players doing it as well.
However, his explanation appears to be not good enough as the "racist news hungry media" is running with this story, plus Twitter exploding and Facebook erupting.
Strangely his team has released him before his hearing. Appreantly his explanation waas not good enuf for them either.
Its the world we live in.

Right, because the "racist news hungry media" just made all these incidents up? The Akim Aliu incidents were made up? The Boko Imama incidents were made up? The Jason Bailey incidents were made up? These incidents get reported more often now than they once did. That doesn't mean that the media is "hungry for 'racist' (sic) news." What it means is that minority players are more willing to reveal the difficulties they've encountered playing professional hockey.

So what actually happened there? I watched it and I'm not sure I saw the racist gesture. Was it the pumping of the shoulders? TBH that's pretty ambigous. Are we sure we aren't jumping the gun here?

I expected something like peeling a banana like what happened in the KHL (?).

Flexing your muscles thing... eh, I could see it. But maybe not?

It's a pretty obvious motion that makes it look like Panetta was calling Subban a gorilla. You don't need to be a professional charades player to understand it.

As far as jumping the gun, I saw a tweet from a former ECHL broadcaster suggesting that the league conduct a full and thorough investigation and then publish the full findings. I think that would be a good move. I just don't think the ECHL has the resources or inclination to do that.

This clown is going to be out of the league anyway once a suspension is handed down.

Reactions: wildcat48 and JMCx4

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's a pretty obvious motion that makes it look like Panetta was calling Subban a gorilla.
But you see that from time to time when a player mocks another player for pretending to be a "tough guy"

oh-yea.gif

I don't know if he did or didn't mean it in a racist way, but it was clearly an error in judgement. Like I've called Tom Wilson a gorilla many times before. But then if I'd say Ryan Reaves was a gorilla, it's either racist or in poor taste (both probably), or just very stupid.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
But you see that from time to time when a player mocks another player for pretending to be a "tough guy"

oh-yea.gif

I don't know if he did or didn't mean it in a racist way, but it was clearly an error in judgement. Like I've called Tom Wilson a gorilla many times before. But then if I'd say Ryan Reaves was a gorilla, it's either racist or in poor taste (both probably), or just very stupid.

There's a different connotation between in calling Tom Wilson a gorilla and calling Ryan Reaves a gorilla.

In re: Panetta, intent matters less than interpretation.

I'll give you another example. If, say, you're a minor league coach, and while on the bus, you throw pennies at Tom Wilson, that's merely annoying to Tom Wilson and a waste of your pocket change. When you do the same thing but direct it at a Jewish player, like, say, Jason Bailey, that's anti-Semitic.

And yeah, I've seen that piece in the Toronto Star where Mike Traikos talked to Panetta and tried to whitewash it with the same logic you're using.

We know how Subban interpreted it. That's what matters.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Right, because the "racist news hungry media" just made all these incidents up? The Akim Aliu incidents were made up? The Boko Imama incidents were made up? The Jason Bailey incidents were made up? These incidents get reported more often now than they once did. That doesn't mean that the media is "hungry for 'racist' (sic) news." What it means is that minority players are more willing to reveal the difficulties they've encountered playing professional hockey.

It's a pretty obvious motion that makes it look like Panetta was calling Subban a gorilla. You don't need to be a professional charades player to understand it.

Panetta said to Subban "you act tough when the linesman show up"....then 5 seconds later does the tough guy flex.
I am not sure how that relates to a gorilla from what after he said.

But, if you feel the way you do and you are 100% sure, not 99%....... 100% sure it was a full blown racist gesture, then fine for you. Run with it. Go man go.
As for me....I'll just take a pass and wait for what the ECHL finds out.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Icemen president: Announcer, referee made mistake by announcing penalty for racial gesture

I don't know who's flipping harder, Ohrablo for what he thinks is PC culture run amok... Or the ECHL for yet another person calling it "the East Coast Hockey League".
When you figger out how to school every local news anchor from a 43rd ranked U.S. media market on the relative importance of acronyms-turned-names in business, let us know. At least the 14 year-old reporter steered clear of THAT controversy.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
There's a different connotation between in calling Tom Wilson a gorilla and calling Ryan Reaves a gorilla.

In re: Panetta, intent matters less than interpretation.

I'll give you another example. If, say, you're a minor league coach, and while on the bus, you throw pennies at Tom Wilson, that's merely annoying to Tom Wilson and a waste of your pocket change. When you do the same thing but direct it at a Jewish player, like, say, Jason Bailey, that's anti-Semitic.

And yeah, I've seen that piece in the Toronto Star where Mike Traikos talked to Panetta and tried to whitewash it with the same logic you're using.

We know how Subban interpreted it. That's what matters.
I don't know man.

Panetta calls Subban a tough guy, then does a tough guy pose. Subban interprets it as racial gesture. You say "That's what matters."

But doesn't intent and context also matter?

What you're suggesting is a slippery slope where harmless and innocent actions are "wrong/bad" if anybody interprets them that way.

Reactions: Atlantian and Shad

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I don't know man.

Panetta calls Subban a tough guy, then does a tough guy pose. Subban interprets it as racial gesture. You say "That's what matters."

What you're suggesting is a slippery slope where harmless and innocent actions are "wrong/bad" if anybody interprets them that way.

Again, please provide a source for what Panetta allegedly said during the incident.

If you made a gesture at work towards a fellow employee/customer/patient/client/contractor/whathaveyou that they interpreted as a racial slight, you'd be out on your fourth point of contact before you could say "waivers." Why should Panetta be treated any differently?

Reactions: wildcat48

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Again, please provide a source for what Panetta allegedly said during the incident.

If you made a gesture at work towards a fellow employee/customer/patient/client/contractor/whathaveyou that they interpreted as a racial slight, you'd be out on your fourth point of contact before you could say "waivers." Why should Panetta be treated any differently?
I would also disagree with people being fired from their job for something that was incorrectly perceived as racist.

And regarding words, the only source we have right now is Panetta's apology. Subban and refs haven't as of now accused Panetta of racist language. So it's weird. Now I need to apparently provide a source that he didn't do something he isn't even accused of doing. How does that make sense to you?

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I don't know man.

When you have a public-facing position, especially one where you're highly visible in the community, your actions carry a lot of weight for you, your organization, and your community.

Panetta was a professional hockey player on an NHL-affiliated team with a contract that wasn't guaranteed. Making headline news for bad reasons isn't good for his job security.

Reactions: wildcat48 and JMCx4

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I trust that the ECHL will do its due diligence in this investigation. Obviously there is no room in this game for racist gestures. I for one am hoping for this to be a misunderstanding. Obviously the only people who know the truth of what was said and the actions performed are Subban, Panetta, and the refs on the ice with them. Maybe other players too but they seemed pretty far off in the video. What makes me furious is someone with a public position like Anson Carter on a national NHL broadcast making up lies and creating generalizations of IceMen fans, saying they were yelling the N word in the video and that they make him sick as a fanbase. Never once did I hear the N word in the video. When I first saw the video, and I am sure many others watching it live in the stadium had the same reaction, I had no idea it had anything to do with race. For Anson Carter to use inflammatory and possibly false language like that, especially when we do not know the full details just disgusts me. Right now, we have a he said she said and a shitty phone video.

Reactions: wildcat48
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad