Jacksonville Jags owner to buy Wembley Stadium to ready a move to England

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL

What selling Wembley means for Tottenham if the FA accepts Khan’s bid

NFL may yet have its London team but under stunning proposals revealed by Standard Sport today, that team would be Jacksonville Jaguars and their home would be Wembley. The Jaguars have played one game per year at the national stadium since 2013; Shahid Khan’s long-term ambition is that they would be there for the entire regular season, lasting from September to December.

Would just be really odd considering all the money he’s pumped in the current stadium renovations. And a major slap in the face to Jacksonville - not unlike the Kroenke St Louis to LA disaster. Repeatedly backing the city and then ditching anyways.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
This (EDIT: For clarity, I'm talking about a move, not buying the stadium) sounds like speculation that I haven't seen reported nowhere else.

It's also a monumentally bad idea for a number of reasons.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I still cant believe london was greenlighted before orlando, toronto san diego and a return to st louis.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Fulham can’t even get in the BPL, Wembley is a waste for them too.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Got to think the league would block such a move. It's alright to have a few games there a season but it doesn't make sense for a pro sports league based in North America to have 31 teams in the US and 1 in Europe. Not when you have cities like Toronto, Portland, Orlando, Mexico City who all deserve NFL football and don't require a trip across the pond to get there.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
End game is probably just trying to establish a fan base there and have at least a guaranteed game every year. If he owns the stadium, he'll basically have territorial rights and can televise Jags games and build up the following.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Got to think the league would block such a move. It's alright to have a few games there a season but it doesn't make sense for a pro sports league based in North America to have 31 teams in the US and 1 in Europe. Not when you have cities like Toronto, Portland, Orlando, Mexico City who all deserve NFL football and don't require a trip across the pond to get there.

Yeah, they'd need a whole European division for it to make any sense, and I think we're not getting that anytime soon.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
I still cant believe london was greenlighted before orlando, toronto san diego and a return to st louis.

Orlando doesn't really make much sense, seeing as how Tampa isn't that far away and the Bucs struggle to sell seats.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

What selling Wembley means for Tottenham if the FA accepts Khan’s bid

NFL may yet have its London team but under stunning proposals revealed by Standard Sport today, that team would be Jacksonville Jaguars and their home would be Wembley. The Jaguars have played one game per year at the national stadium since 2013; Shahid Khan’s long-term ambition is that they would be there for the entire regular season, lasting from September to December.

lol. do you actually think the Jags or any NFL franchise is heading to the Uk?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I wonder how Toronto Wolfpacks are doing financially. They are rugby team that plays in English league.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There's a good chance they'll be up next year.

Their fanbase is small to say the least. They simply can't fill Wembley on their own, regardless of what league they're in, and I doubt that Fulham would move to play all their home games at Wembley even if Khan gets to own it (it would be a sadder tale than West Ham at the Olympic Stadium).

Khan may simply fancy collecting rent from the various entities using Wembley for events, concerts etc. but otherwise the NFL angle is really the only sensible possibility. In spite of the many cons, I would think a NFL franchise in London is a real possibility within the next 5 years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
the league wants it to happen, so they definitely won't block it.

Toronto, is just not going to happen. They did not deliver the way London has.
Mexico City they're clearly trying out, there's a lot of other logistical issues there.
Orlando doesn't have a real stadium.
Portland, no

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
the league wants it to happen, so they definitely won't block it.

Toronto, is just not going to happen. They did not deliver the way London has.
Mexico City they're clearly trying out, there's a lot of other logistical issues there.
Orlando doesn't have a real stadium.
Portland, no
They do, but its still not happening.
This is not fair at all. The tickets in Toronto were out of this world expensive. Orlando would be much better the jacksonville, but I think 4 teams in Florida can work. It's the 3rd largest state. Produces so many football players. I'm fine with Mexico, although why didn't the Chargers just move to Tijuana if that was the case. Portland, I agree. MLB, NBA and NHL will be enough.

I think St. Louis should be given a third chance, but I don't think the city is interested.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is not fair at all. The tickets in Toronto were out of this world expensive. Orlando would be much better the jacksonville, but I think 4 teams in Florida can work. It's the 3rd largest state. Produces so many football players. I'm fine with Mexico, although why didn't the Chargers just move to Tijuana if that was the case. Portland, I agree. MLB, NBA and NHL will be enough.

I think St. Louis should be given a third chance, but I don't think the city is interested.

That’s not the NFL’s problem if Toronto charged too much. They haven’t gone back there since the Bills pulled out. If the NFL felt it was worth it, they would. I’m for Toronto getting a team too, but they do not have their house in order.

St. Louis needs a stadium.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I know the guy has a lot of money but if he isn't planning to put his NFL team into the stadium then why is he paying a reported $1.4 billion for it?

Because one can make money off the events being held there.

Of course, the OP might've been trolled by the tweet. No doubt this will have some serious public debate and it would be very difficult for the FA to accept such a deal.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I know the guy has a lot of money but if he isn't planning to put his NFL team into the stadium then why is he paying a reported $1.4 billion for it?

He's worth 7.5 billion so its just another item to add to his rich person collection :naughty:

But like others have said, he can collect rent/fees/concessions from the stadium, and its a fairly popular stadium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad