Post-Game Talk: Jackets @ Champs 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Everyone on here dumps on Burakovsky everyday. No one here is a better hockey player than Burakovsky. People point out every puck he loses.

So because I'm not a better journalist than Khurshudyan I can't point out when she makes a mistake?

Pretty dumb.

Dumb is trying to equate evaluating performance in a COMPETITIVE PROFESSIONAL SPORT, which is all about separating good from bad by score etc, with shaming a writer for an honest, common mistake.

Why would you WANT to point out when she makes a mistake? The only purpose I can think of is some bizarre, passive-aggressive humblebrag thing where people want to show they knew something someone else didn't.

Have a cookie. You could spell a word.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I do so appreciate irony, but man, how good does it feel to say stuff like this now. Last spring changed everything for the better.

Sure it did, but i don't think the situations are still the same re:this CBJ team and Capitals teams from past years. Capitals atleast knocked in the door for multiple years, getting beat only by the other powerhouse who rolled through everybody else after beating the Capitals. You can make a pretty good argument that '16-'18 Capitals were the 2nd best team in the league. Columbus has a solid team but that's a team that's never been in the positive side of elimination game in the Playoffs. They have 5 Playoff wins in their history and have never even won their division in the regular season. Capitals before winning the Cup had won their division 7 times in the last 10 years, had multiple Presidents trophies and had 7 Playoff wins in just the season before alone.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Oh I agree about Columbus.

I guess I was more talking about hearing a whole generations worth of "Its their Superbowl" comments from various places and people in regards to the Caps year after year. Its still almost a bizzarro feeling, this championship thing.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This fanbase has been amazing about not being idiots because we won the Cup. Hell about the only humble brag we do is the naming of the GDT's.

So our team did win, finally, and a couple of guys made a couple of comments about how the Jackets should chill with the mocking of Kuzy after an OT win in January when they have about 10 playoffs wins in their entire 18 years of existence.

We have eaten enough shit on the mains so sue us for making some comments.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

WIN296

it's not all sunshine and roses
May 29, 2017
Virginia
I haven't signed up to be a twit so maybe someone that has can tell me if it has spell check. And I would agree that someone who writes for a living should know how to spell, especially these days when it takes all of 15 seconds to verify such. As far as editors go, I really don't know what they do anymore as there are far too many examples in the daily news of proofreading being a lost art.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I haven't signed up to be a twit so maybe someone that has can tell me if it has spell check. And I would agree that someone who writes for a living should know how to spell, especially these days when it takes all of 15 seconds to verify such. As far as editors go, I really don't know what they do anymore as there are far too many examples in the daily news of proofreading being a lost art.

I bet she can spell "pedantic".

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
She made a typo - she probably had 30 seconds in between interviews and rushed so as not to miss new information from her next interview.

WHO CARES?

She seems generally good at her job, occasional spelling mistakes mean absolutely nothing.

Is this board going to be like this every year until the playoff starts now?

Reactions: g00n

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
She literally just won the best NHL beat writer award as voted on by her peers. This conversation is absolutely insane.

As a tangent, I think the Capitals/Washington Post have had some of the best beat writers in the league in recent memory. Tarik, Katie Carerra (she redeemed herself with the torching if GMGM and Oates), Alex Prewitt, and Isabelle have all been solid to great.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Proofreading is not editing and most news outlets have cut their copyediting too.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I just feel pity for Columbus fans, tbh -- appalling playoff record, no future after Panarin, and their team looked like some sort of arthritic penguins when they butured the bird celebration. Sad!

Reactions: RandyHolt

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
She literally just won the best NHL beat writer award as voted on by her peers. This conversation is absolutely insane.

As a tangent, I think the Capitals/Washington Post have had some of the best beat writers in the league in recent memory. Tarik, Katie Carerra (she redeemed herself with the torching if GMGM and Oates), Alex Prewitt, and Isabelle have all been solid to great.
"Suture" is an uncommon word, and all the misspelling likely shows is that she learned the word by hearing it, rather than reading it. People who predominantly learn words through speech (probably not Isabelle) tend to misspell things more, and people who predominantly learn them through reading tend to mispronounce them more. In a much broader sense than here, the criticism is sort of legitimate because dumber people (unlike Isabelle, who is smart) are likelier to fall into the first category, and that's why you get people like Sean Hannity (and David Duke) mishearing "biased" as "bias" and so on.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
0BA7N6H.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad