Jackets at Leafs 7pm EST

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Despite the 3rd period disaster, this was by far the most fun I've had watching a game all year. I wish there was another game tonight!
I have to admit... once we blew the lead, I didn't really give a damn who won. Once you get to that point, that 3 on 3 OT was pretty freaking entertaining.

tchigo

Dec 13, 2019
This might be a turnaround in the season. They blew a 5 goals lead in the third, but managed to win it. They played great in the first 2 periods. In the second period, between the 11th and 13th min, they had an amazing PK, and it's as if the puck had no choice but to be in favor of CBJ. They were looking like a playoff team.
And then they collapsed. A loss might have broken them mentally as a team. I mean, having 5 unanswered goals against in the third must be very hard to swallow, and to remove from your head, but to be able to win nonetheless shows that this group has quite some character. Might be the start of third period wins streak.

However, I sometimes wonder if their third period losses are not simply reflecting the true level of Columbus. It seems that when their opponents start to push, CBJ have no answers. They peak in the first, when the other team is still taking it easy, but can't challenge most of the teams that start pushing in the third period because they are already at their peak.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
However, I sometimes wonder if their third period losses are not simply reflecting the true level of Columbus. It seems that when their opponents start to push, CBJ have no answers. They peak in the first, when the other team is still taking it easy, but can't challenge most of the teams that start pushing in the third period because they are already at their peak.

Nobody takes it easy in the 1st in the NHL, teams emphasize on starting well.

Our depth shows up in 1st and 2nd against all opponents, and the youth and inexperience of coaching shows up heavy in 3rd periods. Time and coaching changes (either they fix issues or get replaced) will fix it while depth will keep us in games

tchigo

Dec 13, 2019
Nobody takes it easy in the 1st in the NHL, teams emphasize on starting well.

Our depth shows up in 1st and 2nd against all opponents, and the youth and inexperience of coaching shows up heavy in 3rd periods. Time and coaching changes (either they fix issues or get replaced) will fix it while depth will keep us in games
Well, it was maybe not the right term, but what I mean is that opponents are able to change of gear, whereas CBJ can't.
I don't get why our depth would show more on 1st and 2nd than in 3rd, nor why youth and inexperience of coaching would only show in 3rd periods.
Could we do a comparison with basketball? I've heard that the spurs are loosing most of their 4th quarter because they can't cope with the higher level of adversity in the money time. Couldn't it be the same with CBJ?

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Well, it was maybe not the right term, but what I mean is that opponents are able to change of gear, whereas CBJ can't.
I don't get why our depth would show more on 1st and 2nd than in 3rd, nor why youth and inexperience of coaching would only show in 3rd periods.
Could we do a comparison with basketball? I've heard that the spurs are loosing most of their 4th quarter because they can't cope with the higher level of adversity in the money time. Couldn't it be the same with CBJ?
This is a point I've tried to articulate for a couple seasons now. The youth and inexperience of this team makes them extremely susceptible to momentum shifts. They can be capable of riding a wave when they get on a roll, and they're completely unable to stop the other team's momentum when the snowball starts rolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad