Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was not referring to Taylor Hall and two years. I said for the last two years, 2021-22 and 2022-34. Taylor Hall was 2020-21.

But while we are talking about Taylor Hall, we butchered that too. We let him dictate his trade for no reason. We could have easily called his bluff, and he would have had to play it out with us. No playoffs, less chance to earn next contract.

(He would have walked for nothing. I mean, who cares? At some point, you have to negotiate hard.)

And we actually got LESS than a second when you consider we took on Anders Bjork contract and gave up Curtis Lazar. The Sabres spun a ton of BS, but we lost that part of a deal with a pricier player on a longer contract. We dumped Lazar to Chicago and had to take on one of their AHL contracts.

Pegula used his money, but it's hard to imagine you could use it in a more foolish way. We gave a pro-rated $4 M on Hall so maybe $1.5 M and theb ate maybe an extra $2.5 M plus on Bjork who was never anything special.

And what did the Sabres do with that pick? Aleksandr Kisakov – not exactly an impact player in the AHL, although he is only 21. Matthew Knies and JJ Moser were picked shortly afterward.

You can pick on dozens of threads of Sabres history and find bad negotiating, bad trades where they just give a just a little too much. The drafting does look better lately.

It all speaks to an organization that just looks weak. When it spends, it wastes on things like Ralph Krueger on a long-term deal. For some reason, we extended Granato and our hands are somewhat tied firing him now. The $72 million for Skinner is like the Cadbury secret because no team could have been that close over seven years and the kid wanted to be close to Toronto. Then there is $2.5 million for Okposo and Girgensons or $2 million for Jost.

Everything just never feels organized or thought out in Buffalo.

Honestly, who runs the place?

All valid points.

And to your last question - not Jack Quinn. :D

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Really. How much more evidence do you want? He handcuffed Botterill on the O'Reilly deal by making him deal the guy the day before the bonus was due. He signed Ben Bishop to get to the floor. The Sabres retained on Taylor Hall, but for the last two years, the team has been unwilling to use its cap room at the deadline. The guy went from moronic contracts like Skinner to not wanting to spend money.

Excuse you sir, but please don’t insult Sabres legend Ben Bishop.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I've said it before. I think with his injury history, he's not going to be a Sabre for much longer. f***ing shitty

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
What are people's thoughts on what Jack Quinn's next contract looks like?

With the injuries its a tough one as it interferes with his development, 6-8 years x 5 million?

Or do you give him a short term contract given that he will still be an RFA in 3 years?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
What are people's thoughts on what Jack Quinn's next contract looks like?

With the injuries its a tough one as it interferes with his development, 6-8 years x 5 million?

Or do you give him a short term contract given that he will still be an RFA in 3 years?
JJP and Quinn should be bridged until Skinner is off the books, unless something happens to him before then.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
JJP and Quinn should be bridged until Skinner is off the books, unless something happens to him before then.
Now that Mitts is gone you can theoretically offer one of them a longer deal, cap-wise. I’m not sure I’d do that with small-ish wingers though, unless they were already indispensable.

But you’re probably assuming Mitts gets replaced by a ~$5m+ player, which I’m hoping too, in which case they both automatically get bridges.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Now that Mitts is gone you can theoretically offer one of them a longer deal, cap-wise. I’m not sure I’d do that with small-ish wingers though, unless they were already indispensable.

But you’re probably assuming Mitts gets replaced by a ~$5m+ player, which I’m hoping too, in which case they both automatically get bridges.
They have next season to prove if they deserve a long term contract and that they don't get surpassed by one of the players not currently on the roster.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I really hope this kid succeeds and all the injuries are him just getting them out of the way early in his career and he plays lots of hockey from this point on or hes always going to be the 'imagine what he could have been' guy.

Gustav Possler comes to mind, I thought he could have been big but injuries.

Reactions: Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I really hope this kid succeeds and all the injuries are him just getting them out of the way early in his career and he plays lots of hockey from this point on or hes always going to be the 'imagine what he could have been' guy.

Gustav Possler comes to mind, I thought he could have been big but injuries.
He has underrated skating he is so quick and can get to those prime shooting lanes great hands and shot too not to mention he is good on both sides of the puck. Quick and lethal release him and jjp have the talent to turn into 30+ goal guys

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He has underrated skating he is so quick and can get to those prime shooting lanes great hands and shot too not to mention he is good on both sides of the puck. Quick and lethal release him and jjp have the talent to turn into 30+ goal guys
Oh I have no doubt that Jack Quinn will be an integral price of the core. A monster 2 way PPG player if he can just stay healthy.

Reactions: Faceboner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad