Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Continued from Prospect Info: - Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020) -- Ottawa 67s (3 year ELC signed 11/16)
Oh, I’m right here, and couldn’t be happier to be wrong :)

I'm going to expand on this too:

In his draft year, he had 50 goals, which is rare territory, but he also wasn't particularly fast nor was he the playmaking he now is in Roch.

Fast forward to 2021, and his ability to get his shot off is high-caliber NHL level...right now. That translation from jrs. to pros is what kills 90% of players like him.

Then, he's playing with JJ Peterka, who couldn't be a more perfect compliment (much faster, and a playmaker), and they develop an instant strong chemistry.

Finally, while I love Quinnterkrebs, anyone watching Roch right now can tell you that they're feasting on the PP...and 5v5 is a work in progress all around. Peterka-Malone-Quinn will have a few shifts of brilliance, and many more of being d-zone trapped. Incidentally, that's why I want him to stay in Roch right now. Primarily to work on 5v5. Krebs, Quinn, Peterka, and Laaksonen all fall into this category:

upload_2021-11-28_8-31-37.png

Last edited by a moderator:

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006

When was the rough start to his pro career??? He was stuck in the Covid swirl at first and then scored 9 points in 15 games as an AHL rookie. What was he supposed to do??

The bizarro narrative around him has been so oddly built because he was drafted before Rossi. If he was drafted 3 picks later - it would be a completely different conversation.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
When was the rough start to his pro career??? He was stuck in the Covid swirl at first and then scored 9 points in 15 games as an AHL rookie. What was he supposed to do??

The bizarro narrative around him has been so oddly built because he was drafted before Rossi. If he was drafted 3 picks later - it would be a completely different conversation.

Quinn played a little more than half of the Amerks games last year, was 12th in team scoring, and was a -14.

That was not a great start to his pro career.

He was also 10th in scoring for Team Canada at the WJCs.

Reactions: Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Quinn played a little more than half of the Amerks games last year, was 12th in team scoring, and was a -14.

That was not a great start to his pro career.

He was also 10th in scoring for Team Canada at the WJCs.

The caveat to that though: he played at the U20's and then with Rochester while still dealing with the hernia he had surgically repaired in the spring. Heck, even his training camp this year wasn't great as he was coming back from the recovery.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Like, he just noticed or something.

I hope no one thinks he actually watches most of these prospects play...I've never heard him comment on anything but offensive stats, which is what he uses for his NHLe analysis from what I understand. So there wouldn't be anything for him to "notice" except the points on thestat sheet and league he's playing in.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The caveat to that though: he played at the U20's and then with Rochester while still dealing with the hernia he had surgically repaired in the spring. Heck, even his training camp this year wasn't great as he was coming back from the recovery.

Much like guys like Levi and Bloom, last year was at best a wash for Quinn.

I don't think saying that a year that was largely wasted in a D+1 rookie pro was a rocky start is being overly harsh.

:dunno:

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I don't think saying that a year that was largely wasted in a D+1 rookie pro was a rocky start is being overly harsh.

True true. He certainly has taken the proverbial bull by the horns though. Love to see how he's come into his own.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I know this isn't a Rossi thread, but the thing that I don't understand is why isn't the same logic applied to Rossi. Obviously his D+1 was also lost to injury, but that is largely ignored while Quinn's limited/injury-impacted season is viewed as a negative.

This isn't exactly directed at you per se, more of a comment on the social media community in general.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I know this isn't a Rossi thread, but the thing that I don't understand is why isn't the same logic applied to Rossi. Obviously his D+1 was also lost to injury, but that is largely ignored while Quinn's limited/injury-impacted season is viewed as a negative.

This isn't exactly directed at you per se, more of a comment on the social media community in general.

I've wondered the same thing. Rossi is the guy so many people are mad we picked Quinn over. He enjoyed no success at last year's WJCs and lost the entire rest of the season to illness, but people were acting like he was somehow blowing past Quinn.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I've wondered the same thing. Rossi is the guy so many people are mad we picked Quinn over. He enjoyed no success at last year's WJCs and lost the entire rest of the season to illness, but people were acting like he was somehow blowing past Quinn.
giphy.gif

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I look at how Quinn is doing based on how he is doing and not against Rossi, Lundell, or whomever.

I wanted Rossi at the draft. But I want Quinn to work out since he’s the guy that the Sabres took.

Just like I wanted Wallstedt over Rosen this year and that doesn’t change how I look at Rosen’s development.

I think there are people that gave Quinn a break last year because they wanted the Sabres to be right.

Reactions: Zman5778

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Rossi's doing pretty well. But the Iowa Wild might have better goaltending than the Sabres. :laugh:

Quinn 2021-22 Rochester Americans AHL 17 11 13 24 10 -2
Rossi 2021-22 Iowa Wild AHL 14 3 12 15 8 +4

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It seems like the whole group of guys in the discussion around 8 are doing well. Perfetti is probably the weakest of the bunch right now, just under a point per game in the ahl. Zary is the only one that isn't having a great year but I don't think anyone was lobbying for him at 8

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Is Quinn currently out hurt? He didn't play last night but I haven't heard why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad