Jack Hughes vs Suzuki vs Stützle

Who would you take moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Love how most underrate Suzuki but oh well. He's perfect in Montreal, wouldn't change him for Jack nor Jimmy.
Ya most of these same posters laugh at us when we picked Caufield. Hab players are always underrated by everyone else, why, i don't know and really don't care.
Not saying that Suzuki is the better but to say he doesn't even belong there. Well that explains a lot.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He had a 60 point pace and was outscored 15-11 when he was on the ice 5v5. Let's not overrated it.
Your a tad short, his plus/minus was a -5 not a- 4 like your suggesting. You really trying to knock Suzuki down using a -5 as a major reason. :facepalm:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Your a tad short, his plus/minus was a -5 not a- 4 like your suggesting. You really trying to knock Suzuki down using a -5 as a major reason. :facepalm:

No, plus minus and 5v5 goal differential aren't the same thing. Plus minus is a terrible stat because of the way it's derived across game states. You can be a positive 5v5 player and still have a negative plus minus because of special teams (see, Draisaitl in '20) 5v5 goal differential is actually an important stat, since, you know, outplaying your opponents head to head is usually how you win. Obviously goal differential needs to be put into context, and the Candiens weren't very strong in this area overall, with only Gallagher and Weber among regulars having a 50% goal differential, but Suzuki was roughly middle of the pack on the team. The comment I was responding to said Suzuki was the 1C on a cup finalist team. That brings up certain connotations of and elite player, and that's not a 60 point center who is getting outscored and isn't tilting the ice for his team more than when he's off of it. And if you think he was, then back at you with the facepalm.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
No, plus minus and 5v5 goal differential aren't the same thing. Plus minus is a terrible stat because of the way it's derived across game states. You can be a positive 5v5 player and still have a negative plus minus because of special teams (see, Draisaitl in '20) 5v5 goal differential is actually an important stat, since, you know, outplaying your opponents head to head is usually how you win. Obviously goal differential needs to be put into context, and the Candiens weren't very strong in this area overall, with only Gallagher and Weber among regulars having a 50% goal differential, but Suzuki was roughly middle of the pack on the team. The comment I was responding to said Suzuki was the 1C on a cup finalist team. That brings up certain connotations of and elite player, and that's not a 60 point center who is getting outscored and isn't tilting the ice for his team more than when he's off of it. And if you think he was, then back at you with the facepalm.

Plus minus is a poor stat but how do special teams factor in? I didn’t think they awarded pluses or minuses on special teams (unless you score a short handed goal).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Plus minus is a poor stat but how do special teams factor in? I didn’t think they awarded pluses or minuses on special teams (unless you score a short handed goal).

You get minuses for shorthanded goals against as well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You get minuses for shorthanded goals against as well.

Not to mention EN situations. Especially nowadays with teams pulling goalies early and teams pulling goalies multiple times even if the opposition scores, the players who play in those situations are going to take their fair share of minuses for situations that aren't really a case of "bad defensive play".

Reactions: Regal

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I do find it odd that the some are saying Stutzle is the 2nd coming of Bure

His own coach has made the comparison, and NHL has posted quite bit of content on the social media with this comparison

I just dont see it, like AT ALL with that comp.

I agree that theres better comparisons out there stylistically, but whats your big problem?

Stutzle has superstar potential, thats very clear. And he started his NHL career two years ahead of Bure when he won the calder at 20yrs old, so didnt have as big of an immediate impact.

But Stutzle has ridiculous hands and elite speed, Bure's bread and butter, but I would say he plays more like Patrick Kane (more of a playmaker) than a sniper like Bure, if were getting technical.

But again its not like were comparing apples to oranges here at the end of the day.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Watched hockey for over 30 years,and can say that for sure Stutzle is legit...Not many 18 year olds can make the plays he did..Think he should really be a star in the not so distant future

Reactions: Samsquanch

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I really like Suzuki but I doubt he has the offensive upside of the other two. That said he is a very complete player and is that glorious two way C you have to love. (Yeah I'm Leaf fan who loves Bergeron and Suzuki, but I'll deny it if called on it ).

I like them all but I'll risk Hell and pick the Hab.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Season is still young but this Habs fan is doing a little bump, because you know, things change so fast this days

:naughty:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I expected Suzuki to be better this season, he is two years older than Hughes and three years older than Stützle after all. Long term is still rank him third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad