Player Discussion: Jack "hometown kid" Roslovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Because I'm not so good in hockey analyses like for example @majormajor, @Mikey09, @thebus88, @tunnelvision etc (sorry for those I didn't mention) I'd rather ask those who are more knowledgeable:

1. how they see Jack as a center
2. how they think he connects Laine-Voracek/Nyquist
3. what kind of partners are suitable for him

1 - He's not strong in his own end but he makes up for it by being a superb transition player in the middle of the ice. If he was getting greatly outscored I'd have a different opinion on it but he isn't, his results are very team average.

2 - Terribly. Roslovic's shown little ability to connect with Laine. A lot of blind passes to nowhere, I'm sure we can all see it.

3 - In 85 minutes with Bemstrom he has 6 points, that compares to 4 points in 157 minutes with Laine. He has connected with players sometimes. His overall scoring rate is above 2.0 P/60, which is still one of the better rates on the team despite playing poorly in the last couple weeks.

I'm fed up watching him lately but looking at his season results now, he hasn't done badly overall.

Reactions: VT and CBJWerenski8

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I'm fed up watching him lately but looking at his season results now, he hasn't done badly overall.
Yeah he's funny that way. Talented player offensively but when that's not going well you are stuck with watching a very frustrating player - which he can be even during the best of times. I've been really up and down about him, but for now I've decided to try and keep an open mind about him, he's taken strides forward as a Jacket and while he's 25 he's new to playing C in the NHL and at times he's shown at least improvement in his overall play.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This thread faded at the end of the season but I’m using it to ask if Jack has a development step left because if he does and if he takes it that’s a huge thing for this roster.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He's changed his off season training regimen this year and is including Pilates, which should help improve his core strength and flexibility. Kuraly is as well (more for strengthening his back and improving flexibility). Jack is very serious about improving and I think his wakeup call was last year where he bottomed out in Calgary. He's a proud young man with a desire to be better. I really hope his last 40 games can become an expectation as a starting point with continued improvement. Adding strength would help him play C against the bigger players (not that he's small). I really think he's going to be one of our better players this year. I think that's why the organization has resisted that big push for a "1C". I think they have a lot of top 6 C options that can be a 1C - maybe not in the dominant sense of the word but I think you can have, will have, two 1C lights this year or next and having two strong top 6 centers will go a long way to missing that dominant 1C.

Time will tell but Jack is putting in the work it would seem.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I look at Roslovic and Boqvist in a similar sense. Both guys are extremely creative and skilled offensive, yet they are an extreme liability defensively and their head seem to work at half the speed on the defensive end. They both also have issue keeping intensity up over a longer/consistent period.

While adding strength will help at the NHL level, especially regarding Boqvist, I think the real issue with both guys is their “defensive awareness” aka their brain, and even with Boqvist being younger, I don’t plan on seeing a huge increase in this way.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I look at Roslovic and Boqvist in a similar sense. Both guys are extremely creative and skilled offensive, yet they are an extreme liability defensively and their head seem to work at half the speed on the defensive end. They both also have issue keeping intensity up over a longer/consistent period.

While adding strength will help at the NHL level, especially regarding Boqvist, I think the real issue with both guys is their “defensive awareness” aka their brain, and even with Boqvist being younger, I don’t plan on seeing a huge increase in this way.
See, I think of those as being teachable. They may not be defensive wizards going forward, but there's clear room for improvement in places where improvement is possible IMO.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
See, I think of those as being teachable. They may not be defensive wizards going forward, but there's clear room for improvement in places where improvement is possible IMO.

It's a tough thing to learn. I tend to think that it is teachable if guys are extremely motivated. We've seen a lot of scorers embrace defensive play in order to keep an NHL job. I think it would have been much better for Boqvist if he had to round out his game before getting a guaranteed NHL job. That's part of why I didn't like that 3 year deal.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The question is whether Roslovic can be a real center or only a winger who play center. And if a center, whom to him?

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What do you do, what with Roslovic? Is his problem in bad coaching (not use his abilities) or he can blame only himself?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Hard to be an impactful center when you are a transition/scoring winger.
Gaudreau, Chinakhov, Laine, Nyquist, Johnson ( if he isn't move to center), Voráček. Even if Gus and Jakub play in the 3th line, he isn't better than others. Only if move Kent to center, he could play in the 2nd line.
Roslovic -- Johnson -- Laine

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Gaudreau, Chinakhov, Laine, Nyquist, Johnson ( if he isn't move to center), Voráček. Even if Gus and Jakub play in the 3th line, he isn't better than others. Only if move Kent to center, he could play in the 2nd line.
Roslovic -- Johnson -- Laine
Exactly why I’ve suggested trading him. Although if there is a way to have him as a 2/3 RW that is ok.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Exactly why I’ve suggested trading him. Although if there is a way to have him as a 2/3 RW that is ok.
That's why he wanted a trade from Winnipeg. Maurice seemed to know full well why he was playing where he was playing. And here, probably only due to the lack of centers playing center. But maybe it's time for Kent to start getting used to the center position, even if he has to play less.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Here is a question for all of you
Rossy is playing some nice hockey
the question is why? Is it the new coach, system, or because he is playing for a new contract?

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
the question is why? Is it the new coach, system, or because he is playing for a new contract?
1 & 2. He's being put in situations to succeed when he earns them, and Pascal (who he has a long history with) seems to be the kind of coach who immediately rewards or “punishes” your performance from a system kind of view. I don’t mind a constant blender if all the players know the system that they are supposed to play. To me, Roslovic seems like the kind of guy who needs a simple assignment where he can thrive with the tools that he has, and some of them are top of the league. I’m loving his game so far, and imo he’s a solid top 6 winger.

Reactions: Napoli

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Definitely hope he stays hot and his value rises. TDL he could be moved like some Dzingel for 1st rounder.. Im not so optimistic that this is Jacks true level and it will fall by the time

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Definitely hope he stays hot and his value rises. TDL he could be moved like some Dzingel for 1st rounder.. Im not so optimistic that this is Jacks true level and it will fall by the time

It might come to that, but FWIW he's eleven times more talented than Dzingel.

Having a hard ass coach like Pascal who really knows Jack's game makes me more confident that this isn't just a flash of good play.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

All of the above plus he is a streaky player. And he is probably a wing and not a center and maybe he is accepting that now. He has had good stretches of hockey before. I wouldn’t extend him. We have too many wings. But he is playing well. Leave on a high note, Jack, and bring us a good return at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad