Speculation: Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I disagree. Adding a 24 yo top center is not a bad idea for a rebuilding team depending on the cost. Ducks have had 3 years building up the prospect pool. If they give up mostly future picks then its likely worth it.
Eichel, no matter how good, is injured and won't likely have a big effect on an acquiring team this season. Anaheim is talking about having to trade 3-4 veterans regardless. Buffalo wants future firsts.

I just can't see a team risking trades for future firsts given the above circumstances. If anything I can see them trading Veterans for picks and trading THOSE picks for Eichel at the deadline.

Reactions: gunnergunther

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Eichel, no matter how good, is injured and won't likely have a big effect on an acquiring team this season. Anaheim is talking about having to trade 3-4 veterans regardless. Buffalo wants future firsts.

I just can't see a team risking trades for future firsts given the above circumstances. If anything I can see them trading Veterans for picks and trading THOSE picks for Eichel at the deadline.
Its going to be a mixed return. Not entirely picks. They have reported that Buffalo s going to accept that conditions exist. No team is going to give up their next 4 first round picks and getting 2 in a Row is unlikely as well. IMO.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
There are some Sharks fans who would like to trade for him, but I don't think it's the right thing to do. Our asset pool is finally building up again and I don't think we have enough young talent to get rid of it quite yet.

Yeah that makes sense too

Was just speculating maybe they would be one of the sleeper teams in the mix

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
You think there’s some buyers remorse from the Suzuki for patioretty trade? Suzuki is like 10 yrs younger and a fraction of the caphit and plays a more important position. Likely some buyers remorse there
Eichel is only 24 years old and a center. Elite Center. Absolutely ZERO comparison.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I really think you haven’t spent much time on Capfriendly.com. Fitting in 10M a year for the next 4 years while paying your RFA’s and expiring ELC’s is not an easy task. The teams with that kind of cap space are lottery picks. Only 10 teams currently have more than 3.5M in Cap space right now. Zero of these teams are playoff contenders.

CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
The NHL Salary Cap has been reported / rumored to be making a significant jump in three years time. That's why so many RFA's are signing short term and GM's are positioning for this increase.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
You mean the guy who when healthy is one of the best players in the world? He's been on the worst team in the league almost every season of his career yet still has 355 points in 375 games. Call him injury prone all you want...he started in the NHL the same year as McDavid but has only played 30 less games.

He's not and there's no guarantee that he will ever be again... so the rest of your statement can be skipped.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I realize Vegas fans are smarting from the Suzuki deal but they are also doing cartwheels from the Stone deal. You trade a lottery ticket prospect, sometimes they hit and sometimes they don't. Simply if they are out on Eichel it's because they are scared of his injury I think more so than Krebs is untouchable.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Agreed. I think a big issue is ANAs 1st this year and next. The ducks are going to blow, especially if they move Gibson which they almost did to the canes.
I see their 1st in both years being to 8 maybe lower. In a berard/Wright drafts which are deep with high end elc talent, I don’t think they want to part with either pick
. Flames/rangers/Vegas/wild/Boston
Odds are those would be mid to late 1st riders. You’ll still get a chance do draft a solid player there, but I really don’t see any team moving top 5-10 picks in these 2 drafts. Especially not rebuilding teams.
I think Lebrun is wrong on how interested the ducks are. Unless they can get him without giving up Drysdale/Zergas/22-23 1sts.
If they can add him without giving up any of those 4 assets then I see where the interest comes into play.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Lebrun's reporting that some of the trade's return would be conditional makes me think that 2023 picks would be involved there. The way things are going, there it's unlikely that Eichel will be able to prove much of anything to a new team this year.
At best he’d come in at the tail end of season/ playoffs. Kucherov style.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Jack WILL BE a Top 5 center... when he's health. *GUARANTEED. *with a conditional pick.
McDavid
Draisaitl
Mackinnion
Barkov
Matthews

wouldn’t count Crosby/Malkin out of the race yet either. Sure they are a little older now but both are still immensely talented.

Eichel’s more in the Aho/Bergeron/Zibanejad/ Barzal/ Tavares/Scheifele/Point/ROR bracket as it stands right now, with question marks on how well he’s going to be after surgery.
All still Excellent 1C options but not the cream of the crop

Don’t think he’s better then any of those guys prior to the injury. Highly doubtful afterwards. But a slim possibility.

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The only way I see the Ducks making a deal for Eichel is if they involve a 3rd, or even 4th team that has interest in the Ducks’ veteran players, because Buffalo likely doesn’t want them. Something like sending Gibson to Edmonton, and that return is sent to Buffalo. Or sending Manson somewhere, and that return is also sent to Buffalo. I highly doubt the Ducks would give up their 2022 1st without protections on it given Eichel won’t play much, if at all, this season, but they have plenty of prospects who may be of interest (although I would be shocked if Zegras, Drysdale, McTavish, or Dostal were on the table at this point).

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Why would Buffalo trade a guaranteed top 5 center? That seems like a bad move.

until he puts together 2-3 years in a row where’s he’s a 90-100 center over an 82 game long grinding season, I don’t see how it’s possible to count him among the Elites.
He’s good to average Defensively. Barkov takes him handedly in that category while also putting up a PPG or better, while making everyone on his line much better.
And For the love of god, please don’t even post projected stats over a shortened season. If we’re going by that, then Zibby is a 60-65 goal scorer that rivals Austin Matthews. Projections are nice, but there is a HUGE difference from projected stats to actually doing it throughout the rigors of a long hard nhl season.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
until he puts together 2-3 years in a row where’s he’s a 90-100 center over an 82 game long grinding season, I don’t see how it’s possible to count him among the Elites.
He’s good to average Defensively. Barkov takes him handedly in that category while also putting up a PPG or better, while making everyone on his line much better.

Agreed.

I'm just saying, no team is going to trade a "top 5" or "elite" center unless they are forced to.

If they are forced to... you might say they aren't in the driver's seat... or they are no longer in control of the process.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Agreed.

I'm just saying, no team is going to trade a "top 5" or "elite" center unless they are forced to.

If they are forced to... you might say they aren't in the driver's seat... or they are no longer in control of the process.
Yup agree

Reactions: Profet

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
McDavid
Draisaitl
Mackinnion
Barkov
Matthews

wouldn’t count Crosby/Malkin out of the race yet either. Sure they are a little older now but both are still immensely talented.

Eichel’s more in the Aho/Bergeron/Zibanejad/ Barzal/ Tavares/Scheifele/Point/ROR bracket as it stands right now, with question marks on how well he’s going to be after surgery.
All still Excellent 1C options but not the cream of the crop

Don’t think he’s better then any of those guys prior to the injury. Highly doubtful afterwards. But a slim possibility.
Jack on a good team will absolutely be a Top *6 Center.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He is arguably 5th to 8th when he is 100% healthy. The quality of his team doesn't effect that.

McDavid, Mac, Drai, and Crosby are all better.
Absolutely the quality of the team makes a difference. Matthews and McDavid benefit from Marner and Drai. Eichel playing with Panarin and Laf would have a huge impact. Crosby is on the wrong side of hill unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad