Value of: Jack Eichel and the Buffalo Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Trading Eichel is a really really stupid idea. Bad start this season but how many centers in the NHL are even better than him?

Any quantity for quality type trade would be an epic bust. Eichel is a difference maker. Also how can you say so definitively that he wants out?

Reactions: explore

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
These offers are absurd. If the words "this/these prospects" are untouchable are featured ANYWHERE in your post, you don't really want Jack Eichel. There are probably 20+ teams who should drive their current #1 center AND their top prospect or every single one of their top prospects to the airport right now if Eichel is actually available.

Offer something of real, painful value first and then figure out the makeweights to even salary. If your post features a starting point of:

"We can't really afford him but here's my offer..."
"I'm concerned about Eichel's attitude but here's my offer..."
"Here's a package of 5 random "things" and picks...I hope this works..."

You have failed to meet a minimum threshold.

Yup that's why threads like these are pointless. Every team apparently doesn't have their best asset available for Eichel, there are maybe 5 teams where that should be the case.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
That’s fine. Then there’s nothing on the Ducks that’s a centrepiece to send back other than Gibson. And that’s obviously a non-starter from an Anaheim perspective.

IMO, Gibson is 100% available if it is Eichel coming back.

What would a deal look like around Gibson and Eichel from your perspective.

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
No chance Eichel would accept a trade to Ottawa. I believe Eichel would only go to a bigger market or to a contender. I think the Rangers would be the most likely destitnation. Even if they aren't a contender, Eichel would probably jump at the chance to play in NYC, especailly with the FA potential the Rangers have to help build a contender quickly.
Totally understandable, but if Eichel truly wants a change of scenery I don't see to many cup contenders having the assets AND cap space to acquire him (same thing with big market teams) . A team like NYR make a lot of sense from the big market perspective for sure though.

As a Sens fan, I love Eichel. Let a man dream ;)

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Their best prospect is already in his proposal.
There other best prospect besides Rossi. The point is it's not enough. Dumba doesn't work because he has 2 years left on his deal after this season and if the Sabres trade Eichel, they are probably at least doing a mini rebuild. Dumba wouldn't fit the timeline. Rossi I am weary of due to his response to the virus.

The Sabres need to avoid the mistake they made with ROR. In an Eichel trade, the Sabres need to get back a young forward that is a tier or two lower than Eichel, with potential to get to Eichel's level. I would be interested in a Hughes + for Eichel trade. If you are trading a star player, you need to get at least one player that is at least already good with potential to get better, and will be a guaranteed to be on your roster for years to come.

Potential package for Eichel:

Young 19-22 year old forward on entry level deal that is already a good-very good player with potential to get better
A 4 or 5 star prospect
2-3 firsts
Another young player or prospect with long term potential

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Trading Eichel is a really really stupid idea. Bad start this season but how many centers in the NHL are even better than him?

Any quantity for quality type trade would be an epic bust. Eichel is a difference maker. Also how can you say so definitively that he wants out?
Honestly, I don't think he wants to be here. It is just my opinion but I think it is only a matter of time. If the Sabres finish bottom 5 again, he can ask for a trade and nobody will blame him, not even Sabres fans. While not Kevyn Adams fault, I think he shold begin to explore the Eichel trade option, just in case things keep going the way they are.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
There other best prospect besides Rossi. The point is it's not enough. Dumba doesn't work because he has 2 years left on his deal after this season and if the Sabres trade Eichel, they are probably at least doing a mini rebuild. Dumba wouldn't fit the timeline. Rossi I am weary of due to his response to the virus.

The Sabres need to avoid the mistake they made with ROR. In an Eichel trade, the Sabres need to get back a young forward that is a tier or two lower than Eichel, with potential to get to Eichel's level. I would be interested in a Hughes + for Eichel trade. If you are trading a star player, you need to get at least one player that is at least already good with potential to get better, and will be a guaranteed to be on your roster for years to come.

Potential package for Eichel:

Young 19-22 year old forward on entry level deal that is already a good-very good player with potential to get better
A 4 or 5 star prospect
2-3 firsts
Another young player or prospect with long term potential
Always start high, then you’ll need to come back to a semblance of reality

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Sabres have $35 million in cap space going into next season and 8 players under contract. They need to add 14-15 players this off-season to the big club. $15 million tied up in two forwards that add virtually nothing to the team. Not a great situation.

It's closer to $36M, and, assuming you're pulling your numbers from CapFriendly, that includes Cozens and Lazar (currently on non-roster Covid-19 list) and Girgensons (on LTIR). They still have gaps, but all three of those guys will be on the roster, so that's 11 roster spots filled. They'll also supplement next year's team with guys on cheap deals like Ruotsalainen and Borgen, who'll only cut out around $1.7M off that $36M number.

But I don't disagree that Skinner and Okposo deals are killer to their situation right now. And it's no good that they're going to be back in the same spot next offseason of looking for a 2C, starting goaltender, and another top-6 winger.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Horvat Juolevi Virtanen Beagle Chatter 2022 2nd, 2023 4th for Jeichel and 2021 3rd. Sets up the Sabres with MANY key pieces well the Canucks get a great 1-2 down the middle for YEARS tho will obvi miss their captain (mind ya so would the Sabres here)

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Hoggy Jeichel Podz
Kunz Macewan Gaudette
Motte Whoever Whoever 2

Try horvat+ Peterson=

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If this thread were started last summer, the Avs might have been in the mix. But things are different now. Byram is too valuable to trade. And something with Newhook +++ wouldn’t be enough.

I think Carolina or Florida might be good trade partners.

Eichel is under contract, no team is getting him without best prospect coming back. And that's just for starters.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
IMO, Gibson is 100% available if it is Eichel coming back.

What would a deal look like around Gibson and Eichel from your perspective.
Gibson + Zegras for Eichel + Ullmark or maybe one of our goalie prospect in Portillo or UPL if you don't like Ullmark. We are should to return in the deal a young excellent center, at least very desirable.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
The Sabres need a proper rebuild, not a tanking rebuild. Jack Eichel clearly doesn't want to be in Buffalo and is nearing the Tavares/NYI comparison.

NYI hired a great coach and got better without Tavares.

This thread is to see proposals for Jack Eichel and any other Sabres:

Available:
Jack Eichel
Jeff Skinner
Kyle Okposo
Sam Reinhart
Tage Thompson
Casey Mittelstadt
Colin Miller

UFA
Brandon Montour
Taylor Hall
Eric Staal
Jake McCabe
Carter Hutton/Linus Ullmark

4ye0cm.jpg

4ydzv4.jpg

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Of course it is. They've missed the playoffs for a decade, so, what many fanbases seem to not comprehend, they are unlikely to trade Eichel in a deal that is likely to add another 3-4 years to that drought. As another poster indicated earlier, they learned a hard lesson with ROR deal - they should've told him to suck it up and ride it out (and if they did, they likely wouldn't be in their current predicament). Eichel has another 5+ years on his deal. Unless a team blows Buffalo's doors off with an offer, he's going to be in Buffalo, for better or worse.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
What could they possibly do with the Skinner contract, even with Eichel traded? Any contending team would need every cent of their cap to be able to contend for the next few years and the Sabres are at a massive disadvantage there. Just buy him out and try to trade Eichel in a quantity for quality deal. The Habs got Suzuki and Tatar for Pacioretty and the Jackets got Laine and Roslovic (who is looking real good right now) for PLD. I think this is the type of deal they should be aiming/hoping for (on a bigger scale of course).

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Moving Eichel seems like a completely backwards approach to solving the problems in Buffalo.

If the 1st is a lottery pick, look at upgrading that Skinner contract. The Preds, at least should be thinking about a rebuild. Skinner + 1st for Duchene/Johansen. I don't think there's anyway possible to completely rid yourself of that contract but upgrading and filling a need would be very helpful.

Move Hall at the deadline for 1st and a prospect package. Use that 1st and possibly Mittelstadt to dump the Okposo contract. Start from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad