Value of: Jack Eichel and the Buffalo Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
If this thread were started last summer, the Avs might have been in the mix. But things are different now. Byram is too valuable to trade. And something with Newhook +++ wouldn’t be enough.

I think Carolina or Florida might be good trade partners.

Carolina has goalies + Hamilton + Svechnikov to sign but agree they could be a great partner because they could include Jarvis as the central piece (I don't see anything so enticing in FLA)

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Btw, this is the worst time for this thread. 2/3 or 3/4 of the league is up against the salary cap. This conversation about Eichel would be better when you can involve more interested teams. Once contracts expire, they’d have more flexibility to make stronger offers.

Right now, people think about how it works with the salary cap and not destroy the season on top of that.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s fine. Then there’s nothing on the Ducks that’s a centrepiece to send back other than Gibson. And that’s obviously a non-starter from an Anaheim perspective.

Ducks best bet is waiting for someone in FA, while they continue to grow their young talent. They will have the cap to go after some big names the next two summers.

Although the idea of Eichel seems like a nice dream just don’t want them to trade any top prospects like Zegras or Drysdale.

A line say of Zegras - Eichel - Rakell would be sexy as hell.

Reactions: Kalv

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Carolina has goalies + Hamilton + Svechnikov to sign but agree they could be a great partner because they could include Jarvis as the central piece (I don't see anything so enticing in FLA)

I mentioned Florida mainly because I remember the discussion around the uncertainty of Barkov. This successful season they’re having probably increased the likelihood of him staying.

What about something with NYR? Something with Kakko and Laf?

It’s a little problematic that he wants to go to a winning situation. But the team trading for him would have to give up so much. If the pressures not on Jack now, it would be then.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
The odds of Buffalo getting a talent like Eichel again in the near future are slim. As fun as the Ops idea of destroying the Sabres once and for all is I doubt many Sabre fans are on board with this. You don't trade Elite #1 Cs just for fun.
Nobody's doing it for fun. The team hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade and it is well known that Eichel may be looking to get out if we miss again like we are likely to do this year. There are many other factors such as the Skinner and Okposo contracts which ties up $15 million into players that are basically giving you nothing. The current iteration of the Sabres is a total mess. They are likely not a playoff team next season either and then you are down to just 4 years left on Eichel's deal.

I don't understand why people are not giving this topic the nuance it deserves and acting like the Sabres would be trading a star 24 year old center just to do it. There are plently of reasons why trading Eichel could be seen as the most appropriate move going forward for the Sabres.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
"Jack Eichel clearly doesn't want to be in Buffalo and is nearing the Tavares/NYI comparison."

Eichel is signed thru '26.
That is when he will be "...nearing the Tavares/NYI comparison."

Reactions: barriers

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
In addition to what I mentioned before, I don't think the ownership wants a O'Reilly trade v2 so it makes any Eichel trade even less likely. Just for fun as MTL : KK + Byron + Tatar + Chiarot + 1st 21 + 1st 22 (you can most likely turn Tatar into an additional 1st at TDL, Byron + Chiarot for cap reasons)
Always starts with Suzuki+ or Buffalo doesn't even make sense to do it.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I posted this in the Staal thread but I'll post it here too. My reasoning for why the Sabres should explore a Eichel trade. If you disagree please refute what I say, instead of just saying trading a 24 year old star center is stupid, which seems to be the extent of thinking abilities that some on this board are limited by.

This is my original post in the Staal thread:

This team isn't going to the playoffs anytime soon. Eichel wants to play for a cup contender, not a playoff contender. Skinner's contract, among other challenges makes it extremely unlikely that this team will contend for a cup under Eichel's current deal. By the time we are able to do something about Skinner's contract, Eichel will be looking for the door and even if we do make the playoffs a couple of times, it won't make a difference to Eichel.

The Sabres have 5 seasons of Eichel after this one. How far away are we from the playoffs let alone the cup? Do you think there is any chance Eichel is hanging around if we are not serious Stanley Cup contenders at the end of that contract? He may want to leave even if we are. IMO, we f***ed up the timline so bad with terrible trades and contracts, that the most likey way for the Sabres to have sustained future success, is to rebuild with an Eichel trade as the signiture move.
Here is the fatal flaw in such a plan: So Jack is traded for pu pu platter of magic beans and crap. GREAT! Now we can spend the next few years rebuilding. Unfortunately the same incompetent PSE toadies/cronies will still be in charge. People who have no business being in their current positions like Kreuger and Adams will still be in charge. And the Pegulas will still be in charge. So even if a miracle occurs and they hit on all the magic beans it won't mean a damned thing.

Tl:dr- An Eichel trade is putting a band aid on a brain tumor and ignores the real problems that need to be addressed.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Horvat Juolevi Virtanen Beagle Chatter 2022 2nd, 2023 4th for Jeichel and 2021 3rd. Sets up the Sabres with MANY key pieces well the Canucks get a great 1-2 down the middle for YEARS tho will obvi miss their captain (mind ya so would the Sabres here)

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Hoggy Jeichel Podz
Kunz Macewan Gaudette
Motte Whoever Whoever 2

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Would love Eichel on Anaheim. Don't see a "hockey trade" available though, so would have to be a mostly futures package. Obv I'd expect all Sabres' fans to demand Zegras, but here is my attempt without:

Henrique (needed for salary to work, but still brings things to the table despite his slow start this season)
Steel
2021 1st round pick (unprotected)
2022 1st round pick (unprotected)
Choice of: Dostal, Tracey or Perrault

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Nobody's doing it for fun. The team hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade and it is well known that Eichel may be looking to get out if we miss again like we are likely to do this year. There are many other factors such as the Skinner and Okposo contracts which ties up $15 million into players that are basically giving you nothing. The current iteration of the Sabres is a total mess. They are likely not a playoff team next season either and then you are down to just 4 years left on Eichel's deal.

I don't understand why people are not giving this topic the nuance it deserves and acting like the Sabres would be trading a star 24 year old center just to do it. There are plently of reasons why trading Eichel could be seen as the most appropriate move going forward for the Sabres.

Honestly, if Jarmo Kekäläinen is fired from Columbus, the Sabres should be all over him.

Aside from Eichel, the Sabres have missed on too many draft picks. Culture change might also be necessary. I realize they just hired a new GM. No matter.

Reactions: sabresnyper

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I mentioned Florida mainly because I remember the discussion around the uncertainty of Barkov. This successful season they’re having probably increased the likelihood of him staying.

What about something with NYR? Something with Kakko and Laf?

It’s a little problematic that he wants to go to a winning situation. But the team trading for him would have to give up so much. If the pressures not on Jack now, it would be then.

What he wants is irrelevant to BUF (no NMC), NYR is a good idea with Kakko or Lafreniere as base but I am not sure you want to do this as NYR while not being a contender yet ?

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
Unpopular opinion here but as a Sens fan I wouldn't mind trading Tkachuk in order to get Eichel. I feel like Tkachuk is US-bound as soon as he can get UFA status, so if we can get a sizeable return for him, I wouldn't mind. I'd rather have a 1st line C than a 1st line LW, even though Brady is a one of a kind type of player. I feel like Jimmy Stu will be our top LW within a couple of years anyway, and Sens have some depth on the LW to compensate for the loss of Tkachuk.

Regardless of all this, the biggest hurdle Sens would face in that trade is Melnyk, in the sense that alot of money would need to be shed/traded in order to take on Eichel's 10M yearly salary. Just thinking about what Melnyk would trade away - we're talking most likely CBrown, CWhite, DBatherson - just to save that kind of money scares me to death...

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Would love Eichel on Anaheim. Don't see a "hockey trade" available though, so would have to be a mostly futures package. Obv I'd expect all Sabres' fans to demand Zegras, but here is my attempt without:

Henrique (needed for salary to work, but still brings things to the table despite his slow start this season)
Steel
2021 1st round pick (unprotected)
2022 1st round pick (unprotected)
Choice of: Dostal, Tracey or Perrault
Buffalo already tried the "trade elite center for less than premium assets" strategy before. It didn't work out too well.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
FLAMES
Monahan, Hanifin, Bennett & 1st
For
Eichel

RANGERS
Laferniere, Kakko & 1st
For
Eichel

DEVILS
Hischier, Wood/Severson & 1st
For
Eichel

Reactions: Tkachuky

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

"it is well known that Eichel may be looking to get out if we miss again" What does that even mean? It sounds like speculation.

Just because the team is bad now and there are bad contracts does not mean you need to trade your Franchise player. The returns on this type of player never work out and if you don't think the Sabres are fun to watch now wait until Casey Mittlestadt is your number one C.

Hey if you guys want to destroy your clubs future go for it (as if we had an influence :P), I won't mind at all. I will say though looking for a #1C is not a fun sport. It takes forever and you won't get another as good as him this decade short of a miracle. Some players you don't trade, Eichel is one of them IMO.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
The Sabres need a proper rebuild, not a tanking rebuild.

I'm not sure what you mean by this but if it's not a "tanking rebuild" I don't see much reason to trade Jack Eichel. I'd say keep Eichel and Reinhart, and their youngest guys, sell off the older players that you can(obviously not Skinner) and try to get as many picks as possible. They have the hardest positions to fill right now, they've still got 5 years of Eichel and could easily be trending up after a couple of those with the right moves and a little luck. I appretiate that might not be enough to make him stay given his lack of success so far but I think it's worth the risk.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Suzuki+ could work, but we need another good prospect for the base, you have a lot of players like Byron, Armia, Kulak, maybe someone else to make the cap work.

The issue is Montreal is right against the cap. If we send:

Suzuki - 900k
Byron - 3.4M
Kulak - 1.85M
+ salary
+ prospects

We are still short 3.85M and we still have to replace the players going out (Byron & Kulak) with min $ league players, so we’re ~5.25M short + whatever other roster player we have to replace to make the $ work. I just can’t see it happening - Although I would have loved to make such a deal.

In reality, it would have been MUCH easier to pull off if we didn’t bought out Alzner last summer.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Horvat Juolevi Virtanen Beagle Chatter 2022 2nd, 2023 4th for Jeichel and 2021 3rd. Sets up the Sabres with MANY key pieces well the Canucks get a great 1-2 down the middle for YEARS tho will obvi miss their captain (mind ya so would the Sabres here)

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Hoggy Jeichel Podz
Kunz Macewan Gaudette
Motte Whoever Whoever 2
So it's basically Horvat for Eichel.... since the other stuff you are adding have extremely little value.

Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad