Prospect Info: Jack Campbell

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Why does it seem like everyone is afraid to offend the guy? I've been looking through how long it took the average current starting goalie in the NHL to make an impact at some level and it seems that Campbell is behind schedule. Most goalies by this point were either tearing it up in the AHL or were playing in the NHL. There are a few outliers, most notably Corey Crawford who took until his 8th season before getting a decent amount of playing time on the blackhawks, but the average is around 4 years to be competing at an NHL level.

Maybe I will make a graph to compare the active starting goalies to campbell's start.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Please do. That'd be interesting.

https://puu.sh/emYU3.png

Here you go. It is a bit messy so I can provide the spreadsheet to anyone who wants to actually clean it up a bit. Keep in mind that some players were kept out of the NHL for an extra year because of the lockout, and a few players were held up. I think keeping him in the AHL for another 2 years would certainly hamper his career, he should be playing at least 10 nhl games next season to see how he handles it.

I tried to include a starter from every team but only listed players who were drafted.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
https://puu.sh/emYU3.png

Here you go. It is a bit messy so I can provide the spreadsheet to anyone who wants to actually clean it up a bit. Keep in mind that some players were kept out of the NHL for an extra year because of the lockout, and a few players were held up. I think keeping him in the AHL for another 2 years would certainly hamper his career, he should be playing at least 10 nhl games next season to see how he handles it.

I tried to include a starter from every team but only listed players who were drafted.

According to your criteria and data, goalies who Campbell isn't behind include:

Crawford
Miller
Howard
Bishop
Schneider
Bryzgalov
Smith
Lundqvist
Elliot
Allen
Dubnyk
Enroth
Anderson*

Thanks for putting that together, but there are some important things missing from the table, like age for example. Anderson's years are expedited as well given that he was drafted twice, the second of which came at age 20. Bryzgalov was also drafted as a 20 year old and didn't have a year that counts in the NHL/AHL column until he was 25.

Basically, I don't see much here to demonstrate that Campbell is "behind schedule" or even approaching bust status (reference to the name of the thread, not your words).

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Basically, I don't see much here to demonstrate that Campbell is "behind schedule" or even approaching bust status (reference to the name of the thread, not your words).

I will go through each name and give my thoughts,

Crawford - Yes, he was a slow developer. No denying this.

Miller - Miller had already played in some NHL games and tore up the AHL, had a .925 season at this point

Howard - Howard was playing decent in the AHL but was held up by Hasek and Osgood

Bishop - Took as long as crawford, but changed teams twice in the process. Not sure if you want to use this amount of time as a good example, as we probably won't keep Campbell this long.

Schneider - Had 3 solid years in the AHL by this point

Bryzgalov - Most likely would've played in the NHL in 04, but yes he was an older draft.

Smith - Had 2 solid years in the AHL at this point

Lundqvist - Was tearing up the swedish league from the point he was drafted until he moved until the NHL

Elliot - Had a decent AHL year at this point and a few solid years in college

Allen - Again, solid AHL starter

Dubnyk - Didn't impress until his 5th year, got nhl time in 6th year

Enroth - Solid AHL time

Anderson* - Old draft pick

Now, if you keep Campbell as an AHL exclusive for 2 more years, you only have Crawford and Bishop with the same amount of development time. I'm not sure Campbell has proven that he will be able to be a solid NHL backup next year, so where do you go with him at this point? Keep giving him basic contracts until he proves himself? I have no doubt that he will eventually live up to his potential, but if that takes another 3-4 years we may need to look into other options.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Conversely, if Campbell gets himself right pretty soon he could end up with a decent number of NHL games this year, which paints an entirely different picture than comparing his incomplete 2014-15 to those other players.

I'm not saying everything is rosy but he's far from a lost cause or what most would consider a true slow developer. I'm really uncomfortable projecting two years out from now and saying "what if". He could be our backup in the NHL by next year which would put him right on schedule considering his injury history.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
When I use to do the whole blog thingy, I did one on Campbell and how goalies all take different paths to the NHL. Some are a little earlier, some on Campbell's pace, and some take even longer whether they were drafted or discovered later on. Ed Belfour for example went undrafted, signed with Chicago as a free agent at age 22, was playing for the Saginaw Hawks of the IHL at age 22/23. He got in 23 NHL games the following season at age 23 (which would be Campbell next season), played no regular season games in 1989-90 (but 9 playoff games), and won the Vezina and Calder trophy in 1990-91.

You could make the argument that that when then and this is now, but it really makes no difference. The guy was wasn't even a professional in any league in his early 20s, and 3 years later he's a superstar in the NHL.

Hell, Tim Thomas was in his 30s and up in a tree hunting bears when the Bruins called him to come play. Next thing you know he's a Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup/Vezina trophy winner.

I've said it a bunch of times, Campbell just needs to play. He lost both games this weekend, but by all accounts played well. Just keep him going. Get him in to a rhythm.

By today's typical standards though, yes he should get a handful of NHL games next season.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Put me in the "just play him" category. If he was some mental issues - whatever they may be - that makes more sense why they weren't pushing him to start. That said, as soon as he's ready (and he appears to be) just get him going and in a rhythm like TJ said. I'm not worried about him, but I want to see a stat line that has at least 40 games on it. By all reports he's got "it". I don't think you give up on "it" in goaltenders until you absolutely have to.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Put me in the "just play him" category. If he was some mental issues - whatever they may be - that makes more sense why they weren't pushing him to start. That said, as soon as he's ready (and he appears to be) just get him going and in a rhythm like TJ said. I'm not worried about him, but I want to see a stat line that has at least 40 games on it. By all reports he's got "it". I don't think you give up on "it" in goaltenders until you absolutely have to.

This pretty sums up my thoughts on him as well.

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
since we can't even be competitive with our NHL backups, and he can't get consistent ice time in the AHL, i see no reason why isn't the NHL backup. he's not going to do WORSE than 1 win (in relief), and at least we'll get a better idea of what he's got at this level.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
I haven't seen him play and haven't heard anything about him in a long time. How is his development coming along?

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
No wins, .867 sv% and a 3.53 GAA in January so far in 5 games, 3 starts and 2 relief appearances. On another note, Richard Bachman is starting to come back into form and was just added to the AHL all-star roster.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
JC is frustrating me. Between injuries and cold streaks, it doesn't give off the vibe that he is really progressing as he would if he was going to be our next netminder.

Yes, I know it takes time and is never an even timeline, but he has really only had one great stretch, last year, and then it was only a dozen games before he got hurt again.......I guess the good news is, I actually opened this thread thinking I would see he was hurt again, but he only lost a few games, behind a bad TX squad, hurt by roster depletions. With the D they have left, his sub 900 save % may not be as disturbing as it looks.

Last edited:

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I'd just like him to play more. He's not been good this season, but for his sake and for the organization's sake give him some more games. See if he can shake the rust. Build his confidence. Hopefully.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
I'd just like him to play more. He's not been good this season, but for his sake and for the organization's sake give him some more games. See if he can shake the rust. Build his confidence. Hopefully.

The texas stars are just 1 point shy of being in a playoff spot, and coming off of a calder cup victory I think they would like to qualify for the postseason again, so it is in their best interest to go with the hot hand. Rynnas/Campbell have gotten nearly an equal amount of ice time even though Rynnas has been far superior, I think they are giving Jack as many starts as possible to prove his worth and it just hasn't happened so far this year.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Too be honest I was never particularly worried about his development until this year, now I'm worried he's dangerously close to being a bust if he can't get out of his own head. If you can use him to pry one of the buffalo goalies I wouldn't be upset. Especially if we can get whoever we get to resign. Never should have taken him in the first round.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Too be honest I was never particularly worried about his development until this year, now I'm worried he's dangerously close to being a bust if he can't get out of his own head. If you can use him to pry one of the buffalo goalies I wouldn't be upset. Especially if we can get whoever we get to resign. Never should have taken him in the first round.

Even though it may seem like I hate the guy from my previous posts, I'm still very concerned about shipping him away. I think Campbell has the tools to be an elite NHL goaltender, but it will come down to which team has the patience to mentor him for an extended period of time, and I don't know if the Stars would be willing to hang onto him for another 3 years or so. I think his psychological problems have gotten progressively worse, but as we saw last year he is still capable of putting up good numbers, so it will be up to him to determine his future.

MetalGodAOD*

I'd hope they do. The only one looking to push him out of town are fans. He has no trade value so why give up on him anyways? Nill likes to let his goalies get to their mid-twenties anyways. He's with the organization for the long haul I'm guessing.

cizko

Feb 10, 2009
As a side-note, it is quite worrisome that almost every (every other) goalie in Stars organizations has some sort of mental issues. I don't know if it comes with position, we are that "lucky" or we deliberately chose this pattern. In the past the goaltending position was our strength, I don't know what happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad