Prospect Info: Jack Campbell

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
He played great last season against the ducks. At this point I would bring him up as well. How can it get any worse than it already is? Jack showed he could hang against one of the more powerful teams last season just fine. He's an improvement over everybody but Kari, and could grow while helping the team pick up points.

Nothing to lose by calling him up now.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Jesus ****ing christ you guys are smoking some crack.

1) Yes Campbell was drafted too high. He still has potential.

2) He's only 22. Calling him a bust or calling him up just to "get him big boy experience" are both premature.

3) He has some mental/confidence issues. If he can get past those he can be good. I've seen flashes of that, even during this season.

4) He's not going to miraculously save this franchise in the next year or two.

Everyone keeps pointing at Gibson, Jones, etc. They're not doing that great either. Dallas isn't exactly the only team dealing with backup goalie issues.

But hey, I guess all that doesn't matter because he was a first round pick and they're supposed to always be good and require no development whatsoever.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
My thoughts is that he should begin the up/down dance in the next two years, ideally next season.

Unfortunately he had a set back this season as the hope was that he'd be the #1 here in Cedar Park. Partially because of him and partially because of the horrible team in front of him. He has a chance to turn it around at the end of this season but that remains to be seen.

If he doesn't start winning the job next season then he has a good chance to be passed by Desrossier.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
A few things here. People need to let go of the 1st round pick and top prospect mental categories. Campbell should've probably been drafted in the 40-50th pick range. Had that happened, his development would be seen as generally normal to this point.

He does need to play. In the AHL. Goalie prospects must master their current level before promotion. Throwing him in the fire is counterproductive and sounds like the general product of frustrations.

Signing the combination of Lindback and Rynnas was the worst thing Nill could have done. One real backup should've been signed with NHL experience that you could have some level of confidence in. Meanwhile a younger prospect free agent goalie should've been signed for Cedar Park to compete with Campbell but not override him in seniority.

So now we've got the twin prongs of unrealistic expectations and lack of development time plaguing Campbell.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
A few things here. People need to let go of the 1st round pick and top prospect mental categories. Campbell should've probably been drafted in the 40-50th pick range. Had that happened, his development would be seen as generally normal to this point.

He does need to play. In the AHL. Goalie prospects must master their current level before promotion. Throwing him in the fire is counterproductive and sounds like the general product of frustrations.

Signing the combination of Lindback and Rynnas was the worst thing Nill could have done. One real backup should've been signed with NHL experience that you could have some level of confidence in. Meanwhile a younger prospect free agent goalie should've been signed for Cedar Park to compete with Campbell but not override him in seniority.

So now we've got the twin prongs of unrealistic expectations and lack of development time plaguing Campbell.

By all accounts the Lindback hire was Valleys idea, the fact we have a top prospect goalie with mental issues that have led to him being sat for six straight games with some B2B in there when our supposedly awesome goalie coach who is supposed to be an expert on the mental side of the game is a major issue. Really think we need major changes in Goal. A new backup at the very least, one that can actually challenge Kari.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Nill should be blamed for signing two guys who suck, but it is not right to blame those signings for hurting Campbell. Nill was trying to find an NHL backup. he wasn't worried about finding a goalie so terrible even Jack Campbell could beat him out for ice time.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

Bingo

Troy - I wouldn't say Campbell isn't beating out or can't beat out Rynnas. It's more a case of Laxdal riding the elder. That's what is hurting Campbell. Or could hurt him. He needs to play to be able to progress and to be evaluated.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Either way, I don't think it is right to blame a GM for trying to acquire good players. He should be blamed for them not being good (as is the case with pretty much every Nill free agency move). Would you really want your GM to intentionally acquire inferior players all to guarantee playing time for a goalie he didn't draft and doesn't seem very high on?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
You're misinterpreting what I wrote. The issue isn't superior/inferior, the issue is number of players and the ages of those players acquired.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
While the idea of throwing Campbell in the playoffs was a bit extreme, it's no worse than the ten year development plan.

Ten year plan?

Goalies have always taken longer than defensemen, who take longer than forwards. 22 is too young to be freaking out about where a defenseman is in his development; it's ridiculous for a goalie. Everybody realizes that the goalie in question turned 22 about a week ago, right?

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm all for Campbell starting in the AHL over being up here ideally. Like has been said here, the best thing for him is to be the go-to guy in Austin and I understand the situation RE winning versus developing, but it's still very frustrating watching what's happening down there happen.

However, we did hear all pre-season that Jack could force himself into the conversation for the backup job. It was always Lindback's to lose, but now that he and Rynnas have lost it, I wonder if they might give him a shot. Confidence is tricky with goalies obviously, but if we're not going acquire anyone else it might be worth a shot. Despite the (6 I believe?) GA in his debut last season he did look very good.

I agree that 22 is far too young to freak out about development, but it's not too young to start an NHL game. Who knows? Maybe he could use a pat on the back. Stranger things have happened with goalies, and he certainly has the pedigree of being a big-game guy. Plus, as has been mentioned, if he's not playing anyway bring him up to face NHL shooters in practice. That's never going to hurt you.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Ten year plan?

Goalies have always taken longer than defensemen, who take longer than forwards. 22 is too young to be freaking out about where a defenseman is in his development; it's ridiculous for a goalie. Everybody realizes that the goalie in question turned 22 about a week ago, right?

I agree with pretty much all of this.
The ten year plan comment goes to those who say we need to give him two more seasons in the AHL before allowing him to dip his toes in as a backup. That is the other extreme to the idea of tossing him right into the NHL fire.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The ten year plan comment goes to those who say we need to give him two more seasons in the AHL before allowing him to dip his toes in as a backup. That is the other extreme to the idea of tossing him right into the NHL fire.

Fair enough. I haven't really seen that much but oh well.

As far as his lack of playing time in the AHL goes, it could be argued both ways. He hasn't been as good as the other guy and the coach wants to win, etc. Ok, I get it. The other end of the spectrum is that the Texas Stars are a farm team first and foremost. I don't worry one bit about how many games they lose and if that might have some impact on the team moving (not sure why we're having that discussion about the reigning champions, but whatever). It isn't like Dallas is going to go without an AHL club.

I would love to know what Nill thinks about Campbell's status down there and if he would like him to get more starts, regardless of earning or not earning it. It's his job as GM of the NHL club to manage prospects, contracts, and expectations for free agency. Campbell may not be "Nill's guy" but he is the closest thing we have to a goaltending prospect who isn't in juniors. He should be given more than enough opportunity to get games under his belt at the AHL level, for the organization's benefit if nothing else.

During Nill's time in Detroit they took plenty of time with most of their prospects, especially their most recent goalie turned starter Jimmy Howard. The guy was drafted at 19, played two more years of NCAA, and put in four seasons in the AHL before he was given a real chance in the NHL. He was 25-26 that year. It isn't quite a ten year plan but it is more par for the course than it is aberration. If we had an even semi-legitimate NHL quality backup we wouldn't even be talking about a 22 year old goalie prospect.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Niewy built a pretty nice prospect pool, despite not hitting really big with any first rounders. The mind goes wild imagining what we might have done had any of those guys played to their draft position potential.

Glennie, JC, Faksa, and JO, with (as of last nights game) only Jamie O looking like he is getting comfy at the NHL level. Glennie a certified bust, and jury still out on Campbell and Faksa.

I know not all first rounders hit big and are superstars, but I hope the two others end up contributing sometime before 10 years after being drafted!

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Glennie, JC, Faksa, and JO, with (as of last nights game) only Jamie O looking like he is getting comfy at the NHL level. Glennie a certified bust, and jury still out on Campbell and Faksa.

I know not all first rounders hit big and are superstars, but I hope the two others end up contributing sometime before 10 years after being drafted!

Glennie is the only confirmed miss so far. Faksa looks to be a solid 3rd liner. While it would be nice to get a guy that can contribute offense in the first round, it wont be bad at all if he turns into a top shutdown center.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If you think the latest stretch has much to do with Campbell ... all you need to know is that in the last 6 games Rynnas' save percentage is sub-.900 and yet he's played all of those games in a row.

I want Laxdall to work, but that was ridiculous when I saw that posted by Shapiro. The dude is riding a goalie putting up below average numbers lately.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
FWIW ... I just fact checked that tweet and I'm either remembering the wording incorrectly or that is impossible to be true.

I just assumed it was correct because it was Shapiro several days ago. Could be my memory though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So here is the reason he likely hasn't been playing much:

Sean Shapiro ‏@seanshapiro

Jack Campbell gets the start tonight. Told me today he had been fighting flu for "a couple months" feeling healthy now. #txstars

Rynnas being out as long as he was already had me thinking it was something more than the flu with him. This isn't the first time a Stars prospect had a mystery illness though. Faksa his first year post draft fought a mystery illness and sickness for some time as well.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
So here is the reason he likely hasn't been playing much:

Rynnas being out as long as he was already had me thinking it was something more than the flu with him. This isn't the first time a Stars prospect had a mystery illness though. Faksa his first year post draft fought a mystery illness and sickness for some time as well.

It's his birthday today too. Really hoping he plays well and pulls out a win. After all of this, it'd be great to see him help his own cause. I mean, it's not easy for a starter to sit for two weeks between games, but he's just going to have to be ready to play and play well when he is thrown in.

If he does make the big club next season say, that will likely be what he's doing so he's going to have to get use to it.

Do it Jack.

Last edited:

Brand New Stars

Really would be nice for him to step up and never look back.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I really wish the Stars would be more upfront about something like this. Tell the fans what is ailing him, and please rest him. If it's a sickness of some sort there is not much harm on making it pubic knowledge.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I was only able to watch the first two periods last night before I had to leave early.

Jack looked a bit more under control and like himself. The goal I saw though was a bit of the old Jack too as he went to play the puck during a change and the forechecker swatted it out of mid air. He still made the first 2-3 saves but was overpowered. Didn't see the second goal but hear it's from a turnover trying to clear the zone on a breakout.

As for the reason he was out. I've said it before and heard from reliable sources that it was for basically mental reasons. Most recent update is that he's much better and seems to be figuring it out.

It should also be noted that I don't think Valley has been down here. It has been Andy Moog working with the guys down here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad