Prospect Info: Jack Beck (168th OA)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hox knows Where It's At. This kid is no Loser. And if he fails, he'll own up because it's No One's Fault But his Own

I heard him on the radio just now, he missed all season so he worked his ass and he said it was super beneficial. His brother was also drafted last season. I like that this kid has excellent speed, he said his goal is to prove to everyone he’s the steal of the draft, so I really like that he’s motivated. I have a feeling that he only fell so low because he couldn’t play but he probably would have a 2nd rounder had the season been played as normal. Time will tell, but I like this so far.

Reactions: Janks

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wouldn't get too worked up about Beck since there is only a 15% probability that he'll play in the NHL and only an 8% probability that he'll play more than 100 games.
Six years from now chances are really good that we'll have completely forgotten about him. Who really remembers those players drafted before Mangiapane? I don't with the minor exception of Brossoit and with him its more like... "oh, is he still playing?"

Calgary Flames 6th round draft picks:

2018 - Emilio Pettersen
2017 - D'Artagnan Joly
2016 - Eetu Tuulola & Matthew Phillips
2015 - Andrew Mangiapane (178 gp)
2014 - Adam Ollas-Mattsson
2013 - Tim Harrison
2012 - Coda Gordon
2011 - Laurent Brossoit (82 gp)
2010 - No Pick
2009 - Joni Ortio

Bolded are currently playing in the NHL

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I wouldn't get too worked up about Beck since there is only a 15% probability that he'll play in the NHL and only an 8% probability that he'll play more than 100 games.
Six years from now chances are really good that we'll have completely forgotten about him. Who really remembers those players drafted before Mangiapane? I don't with the minor exception of Brossoit and with him its more like... "oh, is he still playing?"

Calgary Flames 6th round draft picks:

2018 - Emilio Pettersen
2017 - D'Artagnan Joly
2016 - Eetu Tuulola & Matthew Phillips
2015 - Andrew Mangiapane (178 gp)
2014 - Adam Ollas-Mattsson
2013 - Tim Harrison
2012 - Coda Gordon
2011 - Laurent Brossoit (82 gp)
2010 - No Pick
2009 - Joni Ortio

Bolded are currently playing in the NHL

Phillips is an NHLer, team just needs to get their head out their ass and play him. That Lucic - Ruzicka - Phillips line in the final game last season looked highly promising.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Phillips is an NHLer, team just needs to get their head out their ass and play him. That Lucic - Ruzicka - Phillips line in the final game last season looked highly promising.
I agree Phillips is an NHLer. Just disagree this kid we just took is a Phillips.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I agree Phillips is an NHLer. Just disagree this kid we just took is a Phillips.

Whatever Beck is, it's pretty clear you're underselling him for some reason.

Again, his age 15 season tracks right in line with Mangiapane.

His age 16 season can't be compared with Mangiapane because Beck was already drafted into the OHL as a second round pick while Mangiapane was not yet playing Major Junior. Regardless, you're fixating on his stats as a "rookie" without the context that he was sixteen.

His age 17 season? You're penalizing him for the fact that his entire league didn't play hockey.

I'm not sure what he is, but it's pretty obvious that he's a talented kid. You have to be pretty precocious to be playing in the OHL as a 16 year old, and he obviously did things right to have caught the attention of the scouts so early. To say he has "no upside" is just a silly statement.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

His age 16 season can't be compared with Mangiapane because Beck was already drafted into the OHL as a second round pick while Mangiapane was not yet playing Major Junior. Regardless, you're fixating on his stats as a "rookie" without the context that he was sixteen.

His age 17 season? You're penalizing him for the fact that his entire league didn't play hockey.

I'm not sure what he is, but it's pretty obvious that he's a talented kid. You have to be pretty precocious to be playing in the OHL as a 16 year old, and he obviously did things right to have caught the attention of the scouts so early. To say he has "no upside" is just a silly statement.

From what I can tell, DD watches a lot of Alberta junior hockey and only wants us to take guys he's seen.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
From what I can tell, DD watches a lot of Alberta junior hockey and only wants us to take guys he's seen.
Not true. I want us to take guys who will play. I do watch a lot of Alberta junior but I really liked our 2nd 3rd round pick and our 5th round pick. Undersized guys need to have some numbers to play in the league. I haven't seen many/any without them make it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Mangiapane was playing an age group ahead of him in minor. I'm just evaluating him by what we have seen. We saw a guy who put up less than 20 points as the weakest player on his line in his rookie season. There's nothing to evaluate in his sophomore season so I have to go with the rookie year. A lost development year doesn't help either. Just ask Jusso Valimaki.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not true. I want us to take guys who will play. I do watch a lot of Alberta junior but I really liked our 2nd 3rd round pick and our 5th round pick. Undersized guys need to have some numbers to play in the league. I haven't seen many/any without them make it.

The guy did not go a single game without scoring a goal this past season, though...

Without draft year stats, number-watching is meaningless. Our scouts are basing this pick off what they believed he could have done if he was able to play, and their guess is probably better than yours if you haven't seen him play.

It's worth pointing out that 6th round defencemen need an absolute ton to go right to become impactful players as well. It's not like there are any sure things this late (other than guys who have a high floor and a low ceiling).

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I like the look of this kid. I have a good feeling about this pick. The fact that he didn't play this year and they used a 6th on him, there must have been hype.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary's drafting ability is actually really solid.
They spew out these NHL'ers outside the first round it seems every year. It's really just a shame they never want to either make that move for a star or be bad long enough to get one.

You think of guys like Mangi, Dube, Ras and Kylington... Like, those are the talents you need for your cup runs. That's just value. Top 6 forwards and top 4D outside the first.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Feaster really improved that, and Tre helped improve that even more. Especially now that we've freed the scouts to say "hey, third round and later, swing for the fences"

Reactions: TheHudlinator

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
They spew out these NHL'ers outside the first round it seems every year. It's really just a shame they never want to either make that move for a star or be bad long enough to get one.

You think of guys like Mangi, Dube, Ras and Kylington... Like, those are the talents you need for your cup runs. That's just value. Top 6 forwards and top 4D outside the first.

If the Flames were able to get those franchise players during their short and frankly terrible re-build, Flames are contenders.

Instead Monahan is on the 4th line, Bennett is in Florida and even though '15 lead to us eventually getting Hanifin and Lindholm, we never got that franchise (or two) players needed to win a Cup. I'd say Tkachuk is the only good piece we got out of that re-build that we can move forward with, that's pretty terrible, one guy. We also wasted a first rounder and multiple 2nds in the Hamonic debacle, which would probably be another 2 NHLer's playing for us right now.

Letting our top D pairing also both walk is also pretty terrible asset management. Letting Gio go at his age was understandable, letting Brodie walk for nothing was horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad