Prospect Info: Jack Beck (168th OA)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Doesn't seem like there's much upside here. I liked previous years late rounders better.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
https://thehockeywriters.com/jack-beck-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

In his rookie season, we found out that Beck can skate. He has quick feet and excellent acceleration with speed to burn that can take him around the outside of the defence when needed. He didn’t have many chances to use his speed with the 67’s considering he was the third option on his line, but that allowed him to show off his playmaking ability. Even though the points didn’t come as he would have liked, he was involved in the play and created plenty of scoring chances for his linemates.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Scouts must really like him considering he didn't play last year
And his numbers don't stand out in his rookie year or minor hockey and he's under 6' and weighs 160. Not really sure why we would use a pick on him.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Based on what? That he was drafted by our favorite team?
He’s projected as a middle six winger that shoots first and isn’t a liability defensively. From what I read about him he’s got great potential and is a great skater. He was ranked 164th by draftprospectshockey.com and some other sites have him a bit higher. What’s your problem with him? You like someone else they didn’t pick?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Based on the fact that everything I've read so far praises his hockey sense, hands, and skating, and the fact that the team thought he was worth a draft pick despite not playing any hockey last year.
Yet he was barely a ppg in minor hockey and had less than 20 point last year. He's small too. Not a fan.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He’s projected as a middle six winger that shoots first and isn’t a liability defensively. From what I read about him he’s got great potential and is a great skater. He was ranked 164th by draftprospectshockey.com and some other sites have him a bit higher. What’s your problem with him? You like someone else they didn’t pick?
He wasn't even middle six quality in terms of numbers in junior. He shouldn't have been picked. There are 10 WHL defenseman I would have taken ahead of him.

All of that and I've never seen him play...haha

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, that's the Flames weakness. Finding smaller guys with talent.
There's a difference. Gaudreau, Mangiapane and Phillips all produced at a very high level. They weren't small guys who didn't play in the draft year and had less than 20 points the year before.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Well I wasn’t expecting much from Ryan Francis and he had a great year. So I’ll hold out hope for Beck. It’s a 6th round pick we got for trading down a few spots so it’s just another lottery ticket

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Beck... Bolt... no, no.. Its Boltmann not Bolt.
Phew. Thank God his name isn't Beckmann. Then I might think this was a wasted pick.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Beck... Bolt... no, no.. Its Boltmann not Bolt.
Phew. Thank God his name isn't Beckmann. Then I might think this was a wasted pick.
Boltmann was a wasted 3rd. At least this is late wasted pick. We may as well not have picked in the 6th...

I say that having watched neither player...

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's small too.

He's listed at 5'11. That's not small for a forward. And he might be taller than that.

As for production, I'm not sure what's wrong with a PPG in minor hockey. If anything he seems to have been similar 15yo production in minor hockey as guys like Mangiapane and Phillips, who have both gone on to be prolific CHL and AHL scorers, with Mangiapane also having become a solid NHL scorer.

Again, those minor hockey stats are 15 yos. A lot of 16 year olds are still playing minor hockey. Beck was playing junior hockey at 16, which again isn't really a great frame of reference statistically. His 17 yo season would have been far more telling, if he had played it.

I think there is definite upside here, and it has nothing to do with homerism. The other guy we took in the 6th round on the other hand? I don't feel the same way about at all.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's listed at 5'11. That's not small for a forward. And he might be taller than that.

As for production, I'm not sure what's wrong with a PPG in minor hockey. If anything he seems to have been similar 15yo production in minor hockey as guys like Mangiapane and Phillips, who have both gone on to be prolific CHL and AHL scorers, with Mangiapane also having become a solid NHL scorer.

Again, those minor hockey stats are 15 yos. A lot of 16 year olds are still playing minor hockey. Beck was playing junior hockey at 16, which again isn't really a great frame of reference statistically. His 17 yo season would have been far more telling, if he had played it.

I think there is definite upside here, and it has nothing to do with homerism. The other guy we took in the 6th round on the other hand? I don't feel the same way about at all.
Mangiapane was a 100 point player who had already scored 40+ goals in junior. Yes he was PPG in minor but playing up an age group.

Phillips I watched live in minor hockey. He was probably the best forward in the midget league as a Bantam age player. He was other worldly as a minor player. Over 2 PPG playing as an underage. He played midget both Bantam years. Phillips also was well over a PPG in junior in his draft year playing with garbage teammates. So no, Beck didn't have even close to the minor seasons Phillips did despite Phillips playing those seasons up an age group.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Mangiapane was a 100 point player who had already scored 40+ goals in junior. Yes he was PPG in minor but playing up an age group.

Phillips I watched live in minor hockey. He was probably the best forward in the midget league as a Bantam age player. He was other worldly as a minor player. Over 2 PPG playing as an underage. He played midget both Bantam years. Phillips also was well over a PPG in junior in his draft year playing with garbage teammates. So no, Beck didn't have even close to the minor seasons Phillips did despite Phillips playing those seasons up an age group.

mangi was an overage when we drafted him

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
mangi was an overage when we drafted him
Yup he was. Phillips was one of the youngest in the draft. If you want to compare first year eligible Mangiapane still was far superior in the year he wasn't picked. He was still over 20 G and 50P. Not a sub 20 point player who didn't play for a year.

Admittedly, this is purely looking at numbers. Never having seen the player it's all I have to go off. There were several WHL defenseman I liked late. We miss so often in our own backyard. Stankoven was a big time miss. Worst one I've seen since Point.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yup he was. Phillips was one of the youngest in the draft. If you want to compare first year eligible Mangiapane still was far superior in the year he wasn't picked. He was still over 20 G and 50P. Not a sub 20 point player who didn't play for a year.

Admittedly, this is purely looking at numbers. Never having seen the player it's all I have to go off. There were several WHL defenseman I liked late. We miss so often in our own backyard. Stankoven was a big time miss. Worst one I've seen since Point.

it’s hard to judge underage players on production because frankly they often struggle. The players who put up big numbers in the draft-1 season, Sillinger for example, go in the first round usually.

Mangiapane did not play in the OHL in his draft -1 season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
it’s hard to judge underage players on production because frankly they often struggle. The players who put up big numbers in the draft-1 season, Sillinger for example, go in the first round usually.

Mangiapane did not play in the OHL in his draft -1 season.
Yes his rookie was his draft year. I'll be happy to eat my words if he's a 100 point player next year, I just don't think it's at all likely.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I like this profile for a sixth rounder a heck of a lot more than Ciona. You aren't going to get a player without serious question marks in the sixth, but building off of strong skating and offensive instincts while hoping that usage depressed his statistics seems like a smart play.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00